New customer - 15 reboots in 48 hours (625)

stealth916

Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
This is just for the record, in case it helps other folks corroborate:

I have had my Dish system for less than 48 hours, and my 625 receiver has locked up or rebooted at least 15 times. I cannot correlate the lockup or reboot to any action I am taking. Sometimes it happens while changing channels, sometimes while using DVR, sometimes while prompting for 3:00AM maintenance, and sometimes while doing absolutley nothing at all.

I called and complained vigorously today, and DISH offered me a 2 week credit on my bill, and they are sending another receiver.

Needless to say - I am still waiting to be impressed - wondering if I have made a big mistake canceling cable, and wondering how many 625's I'll go through before I can watch TV.

How hot is it getting? The Dish DVRs are notorious for overheating. Make sure it has plenty of ventilation.

Or, it's possible you just got a flaky unit and the replacement will be fine.

I really like my 625, it's a great receiver. Hopefully the replacement will be better for you. Pepper has a point too, these DVRs need a lot of ventilation. Just make sure it has plenty of ventilation.

You can also check for the hard drive temperature by going to:

Menu, 6, 3, Counters and Page Down a couple of times.

I had some flaky problems with my 625 during the 1st day - I think it was just new software download flakiness. Since then (about 2 months), it's worked flawlessly. One of the best Dish receivers I've owned - and I've owned about 10 or so. The heat issue is a good suggestion and if that's not the case, it sounds like you just got a lemon. Let us know how the new one treats you.

Well hopefully I don't jynx myself, but the new 625 (replacement for first one) seems to be working great!

The original unit had rebooted over 40 times by the time I replaced it.

Thanks for the tips re: the heat. The unit is pretty well ventilated but I'll keep my eye on the temps. Perhaps in their effort to keep the unit quiet, they compromised on some cooling features.

I love this dual tuner/dual recorder action! It is the feature that finally had me deciding to cancel cable - and I have not been dissapointed. I don't see how ANYONE could go without DVR :) If you took mine away now I'd probably need rehab.

It would of been a good idea if "E" had put a reboot button on the remote. I have the same problem with the VIP 211 receiver. Echo Star 129 West keeps freezing and must reboot continuously
Floyd

Anyone that has switched from the 508 to the 625.............can you compare the fan/hard drive noise? Is one quieter than the other? I want to upgrade to the 625, but my 508 is very quiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)