New Customer - Equipment Swap

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nvguy38

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So, I'm curious if DirecTV will allow me a swap of the H24 receiver for a HR24 DVR receiver after having been with them only a month (install on 12/03/10)? I know I can call and ask but I thought I'd pose the question to y'all and see if it's even worth a shot?

I probably should have bit the bullet and just opted for the 2nd HR24 when I placed the order but I thought it'd be alright just having 1 HR24 and the other as a non-DVR. Starting to think it was a mistake since we can't record more than 2 shows at 1 time. Nothing new there as Cox had the same limitations but at least now we can watch premium channels in another room whereas it was only basic with Cox.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

The way I look at it, go ahead and call, get the other HR24, they will probably charge you the difference.
As for the commitment, your only adding another month.

Well, just got off the phone with D*. Looks like all they want to do is send me down the upgrade path which will cost me $199 going through them. That sucks because I could've got the HR24 when I placed my order for just $99. Dammit!! The rep apologized but said this was my only route to get the DVR.

Oh well, live & learn I reckon. Just sucks donkey turds because I'm less than a month out from install.

You MIGHT get a better deal by calling back. It's called csr roulette. Sometimes one will give you a better deal than another one will.

Here's another thought - call back & ask about ADDING the HR24 (& NOT removing the H24) since it will then let D* make another $6/month off you. You might also want to considering adding MRV for $3 more/month, then ALL 3 receivers could share both DVR's. If you find you simply have NO use for the H24 after a month or two, call & send it back, as there is no time requirements for keeping specific equipment on your account. You might still have to pay some $$$ for all this, but it might be LESS than the other route...

Unfortunatley, that's the way they have been. We always suggest you get ALL the recvrs you may need WHEN you do your initial order ... (We, being, those of us on the forum)

I am looking at getting another HD DVR and went to the Directv Wesite today and the cost was $ 99. Thought it was weird so I added to my cart and the price was $99 versus the $199.00. I am not sure if that is based on my account or if it is based on something else. Worth a try, but note that you are not guaranteed the HR24...

Here's another thought - call back & ask about ADDING the HR24 (& NOT removing the H24) since it will then let D* make another $6/month off you. You might also want to considering adding MRV for $3 more/month, then ALL 3 receivers could share both DVR's. If you find you simply have NO use for the H24 after a month or two, call & send it back, as there is no time requirements for keeping specific equipment on your account. You might still have to pay some $$$ for all this, but it might be LESS than the other route...

Unfortunately, I have no use for a 3rd receiver at this time so I'd be paying the $6/month for nothing. Also, I'd think they'd still charge me the $199 and then it's a crap shoot as to what unit I'd receive from the local installer, right? That is unless they direct ship me a unit which the rep said they do not do. He said the only thing he could do was refer me to a local retailer who could sell me the HR24 since DirecTV doesn't stock the receivers? Where do the units come from that you order from their website when you log into your account? Wierd.

Anyhoo, I guess I'll resort to seeing if I can snag one elsewhere. Question: If I do this and return the H24 essentially replacing with a HR24, will I still pay the $5/month lease fee? I'm locked in for 24 months (special running at the time) but I'm not sure if activating a new receiver will change those terms or not.

Thanks again!

Also, I'd think they'd still charge me the $199

NOT necessarily - as I said, if you do it as an ADD-ON, I'm thinking they might charge you LESS up-front, see???
Again, YOU need to call & ask - I actually had a client that had JUST done a movers with 2 new HD DVR's & 1 HD receiver. Then within 2 weeks, while I told him the same thing we're all telling you, he called up & got ANOTHER HD DVR sent to him FREE. (& it was an HR21 PRO at that! :eek: )
Again, think outside the box - even if you do NOT need the H24, if they agree to ADD the HD DVR on for FREE upfront, go ahead & add it on, keep the H24 for 1 month, then send it back. You then ONLY out $6-$12, instead of $199... ;)

and then it's a crap shoot as to what unit I'd receive from the local installer, right? That is unless they direct ship me a unit which the rep said they do not do.

It makes NO difference whatsoever - whether you have the installer bring out OR order online directly from DirecTV.com, NOR if you add it on OR do it as a swap - they will NOT guarantee you a specific model. The ONLY way to guarantee it, is to buy it directly from a dealer, ebay, etc YOURSELF.

Where do the units come from that you order from their website when you log into your account?

From various warehouses - again, it's ALWAYS potluck on the model# regardless

If I do this and return the H24 essentially replacing with a HR24, will I still pay the $5/month lease fee?

Yes, but it's now going up to $6 in February

I'm locked in for 24 months (special running at the time) but I'm not sure if activating a new receiver will change those terms or not.

It will extend your existing contract up TO 24 months, but since you have only been active a month, it will ONLY add another month on to your existing contract. (it will NOT extend for ANOTHER 24 months)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have no use for a 3rd receiver at this time so I'd be paying the $6/month for nothing. Also, I'd think they'd still charge me the $199 and then it's a crap shoot as to what unit I'd receive from the local installer, right? That is unless they direct ship me a unit which the rep said they do not do. He said the only thing he could do was refer me to a local retailer who could sell me the HR24 since DirecTV doesn't stock the receivers? Where do the units come from that you order from their website when you log into your account? Wierd.

Anyhoo, I guess I'll resort to seeing if I can snag one elsewhere. Question: If I do this and return the H24 essentially replacing with a HR24, will I still pay the $5/month lease fee? I'm locked in for 24 months (special running at the time) but I'm not sure if activating a new receiver will change those terms or not.

Thanks again!
Your deal should stay the same and yes, you would have to pay the lease fee.

@dishrich

Thanks bud. I'll take your advice under consideration. Sorry I was so slow to catch on to what you were trying to tell me earlier :)

I'll see if they will add an HD DVR and go from there.

Thanks again!

You MIGHT get a better deal by calling back. It's called csr roulette. Sometimes one will give you a better deal than another one will.

No HE WONT I he is too new to get anything else...

Here are the rules

If you want to change you equipment around example getting the 2nd hddvr instead of that HD box you have 14 days from the time of install to call in and make that change after 14 days out system will no longer show the right pricing. Since he is a new customer it wont let us credit anything either. I could as a supervisor but it is not something any supervisor would do anyway with out really good justification as we then have to justify it to the bean counters.

Jimbo the 6month rule something that only some qualify for and like your self who been with the company for more then 3 years and have an outstanding record you fall under the 6month rule new customer well dont as they have a tone of new customers promos. so we do , do things for long term customers just in subtle ways.

Well, just got off the phone with D*. Looks like all they want to do is send me down the upgrade path which will cost me $199 going through them. That sucks because I could've got the HR24 when I placed my order for just $99. Dammit!! The rep apologized but said this was my only route to get the DVR.

Oh well, live & learn I reckon. Just sucks donkey turds because I'm less than a month out from install.

Yeah but now they have to pay a whole string of people to get an installer out to you.
Where as before, they could have had it included.
In my area they pay Mastec who pays my company who pays me and everyone needs a cut. I get a lousy $15 for a job like that minus gas and materials (although it should take no materials).
However, if everything was done right by the first installer, it doesn't take long.

If they ship it to you, they still have to pay for shipping of the new equipment to you and old back to them.

But honestly, how many shows do you really need to record at one time?
Go outside. lol ;)

The $99

I'm a new customer as of 12/24. I have an HR24, an H24 and two standards. Did not realize I could not pause live shows on the H24 like I could with my old service with the VIP622.

I just called tech support and they very nicely offered to send me a second HR24 AT NO CHARGE and asked me which of my current receivers I wanted to return, at first I said the H24, then I asked if I could return one of the standards instead. No problem! I could not believe this. I then repeated the fact that there would be no charge of any kind and it was confirmed. She then asked for the RID on the standard receiver I will return.

I was then connected with someone who confirmed what was going to take place and he reitterated there would be no additional charges as long as I return the SD receiver.

So, I will now have two TWO HR24s, ONE H24, and ONE standard receiver. Oh, almost forgot, and an AM21 tuner that was sent free so that I could get OTA stations from my preferred alternative city even though I already get my HD locals on all my receivers from another city. I have not had to pay a penny for any of them other than my $15 monthly lease fee.

I will tell you that I had to make sevearl calls on the day I ordered service because the CSRs were such a disaster. The person I talked to today, however, was well spoken, intelligent and well trained- a delite to work with. I was just polite with her and the way I see it, as a result I got way more than I ever bargained for.

I'm a new customer as of 12/24. I have an HR24, an H24 and two standards. Did not realize I could not pause live shows on the H24 like I could with my old service with the VIP622.

I just called tech support and they very nicely offered to send me a second HR24 AT NO CHARGE and asked me which of my current receivers I wanted to return, at first I said the H24, then I asked if I could return one of the standards instead. No problem! I could not believe this. I then repeated the fact that there would be no charge of any kind and it was confirmed. She then asked for the RID on the standard receiver I will return.

I was then connected with someone who confirmed what was going to take place and he reitterated there would be no additional charges as long as I return the SD receiver.

So, I will now have two TWO HR24s, ONE H24, and ONE standard receiver. Oh, almost forgot, and an AM21 tuner that was sent free so that I could get OTA stations from my preferred alternative city even though I already get my HD locals on all my receivers from another city. I have not had to pay a penny for any of them other than my $15 monthly lease fee.

I will tell you that I had to make sevearl calls on the day I ordered service because the CSRs were such a disaster. The person I talked to today, however, was well spoken, intelligent and well trained- a delite to work with. I was just polite with her and the way I see it, as a result I got way more than I ever bargained for.

You also called with in 14 days of install so we still had options to offer unlike the other poster.

Ya, and they were sent a AM21 FREE of Charge, which I was told they could not do.
I've replaced 2 HR20's with HR24's and ended up having to order AM21's from Solid Signal at MY COST.

They were NO help when I changed from a recvr with OVER THE AIR to one that didn't ....

Thats one of the few issues I have with D*.

For the most part I'm pretty happy with them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)