Discounts/Equipment?

hansokl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2010
Atlanta
Good afternoon!

I've been a Directv customer for many years and I recently thought about swapping to streaming. I don't use Directv very much and mostly for watching sports. I've tried multiple streaming services and still don't like being behind with sports but also quality isn't as good as it is on Directv. I'm planning on calling in and getting some discounts and potentially some new equipment. May or may not want to sign a new 2 year agreement since I've been out of a contract for so long.

For my current equipment, I have one Genie Gen 3 (HR54-700) and one 4K Genie Mini (C61k-700) and my current bill is as follows:

1. Choice Package - $121.99
  2. Directv Protection Plan - $8.99 (didn't even realize I had this and not sure I need it?)
  3. Advanced Receiver - $25.00
  4. TV Access Fee - 1 Client Subscription Service - $7.00 (Not sure what this is?)
  5. Regional Sports Fee - $15.99
  6. TV Access Fee - $7.00
Adjustments & Credits:
Combined Bill Discount - ($10.00)
Federal Cost Recovery Fee - $.014
Advanced Receiver Credit - ($2.00)
Tv Access Fee Free - ($7.00)
Sales Tax - $0.84

Total Directv Bill = $167.95

Questions:

1. Should I be paying for Directv Protection Plan?
  2. What is the TV Access Fee for 1 Client Subscription Service?
  3. What new receivers/equipment are available and is it worth it to upgrade? I don't believe I want the Gemini (I have apple tvs or Rokus on every TV already). Is the only way to get new free equipment is to sign another 2 year agreement? We currently have 8 tvs (most in basement) and I use the main Genie in our living room and the 4K Genie Mini for the main basement tv but as I mentioned, use a streaming box for everything else. Just curious if I should upgrade both of my receivers and if both would offer 4K.
  4. Is there any other discounts I could expect to be offered when calling Directv? I usually do the annual loyalty dept call once my discounts roll off but curious what to expect.
  5. Does Directv offer pausing service for some months out of the year?

Sorry about the lengthy post but I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone here. Thanks in advance!

1. Yes if you do not want to pay a one-time fee for things like replacement equipment, etc.
2. $7
3. If you don't want to upgrade to Gemini, only other option is Genie 2 (HS17) headless server. It does not output video, it just "serves" clients in the home that would output the video, it's also the one that would handle DVR recordings made on the clients. Based on what you said, it would be HS17 (server) and 2 clients for your 2 rooms where you have D* boxes, resulting in a $7 access fee as I think the HS17 doesn't count and the fee only applies if there are 2 or more clients/receivers.
4. It varies. Like I called on Sunday 12/3 to order the Gemini, and in the process I asked for discounts, and was (basically/in a nutshell) told there are none.
5. Yes

Oh, and about the 2 year agreement, I believe you have to sign one to get new equipment. For Gemini, it's kind of complicated as it's a 2 year agreement if a tech is installing it for you, or a 1 year agreement if you're installing it yourself.
Also about the 4K, only the C61K can output 4K, so you would only be able to watch 4K in the basement (lol!). HS17 Genie 2 on the other hand can output 4K by itself to other clients, but only if those clients are C61K’s, I believe.

1. Yes if you do not want to pay a one-time fee for things like replacement equipment, etc.
2. $7
3. If you don't want to upgrade to Gemini, only other option is Genie 2 (HS17) headless server. It does not output video, it just "serves" clients in the home that would output the video, it's also the one that would handle DVR recordings made on the clients. Based on what you said, it would be HS17 (server) and 2 clients for your 2 rooms where you have D* boxes, resulting in a $7 access fee as I think the HS17 doesn't count and the fee only applies if there are 2 or more clients/receivers.
4. It varies. Like I called on Sunday 12/3 to order the Gemini, and in the process I asked for discounts, and was (basically/in a nutshell) told there are none.
5. Yes
Thank you for the responses! I appreciate it! For #1, I've never had Directv come out for anything but assuming that could happen at some point. For #3, I was just curious what the actual charge is for but guess it's just a charge for each TV you hook up to a receiver?

I forgot to mention that the main reason I've kept directv is because I take the receivers with me out of state for tailgating at football games. Due to that, and hate being behind (if i just was just streaming), and the quality are the reasons I've kept service so long.

So sounds like if I want to upgrade, it would be HS17 and 2 clients (assuming those may be minis) which would come with a 2 year contract. Is it even worth it to upgrade my equipment? Not sure what the HS17 gives me (quality, faster guide, etc?)

Taking a step back.. maybe I don't fully understand what the Gemini is. I thought it was a separate box that allowed you to watch the normal live satellite feed but also had built in streaming apps so I wouldn't have to ever change inputs. Could you beak down the details for the Gemini? I see online that it can't receive satellite directv programming without being connected to a Genie so I'm not sure if the Gemini just allows you to stream your directv programming and if you need a separate Gemini for every receiver I have.

I'll do some more research on the Gemini but would love any details you could provide about that. It may be an option for me too.

Thanks again!

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
Good afternoon!

I've been a Directv customer for many years and I recently thought about swapping to streaming. I don't use Directv very much and mostly for watching sports. I've tried multiple streaming services and still don't like being behind with sports but also quality isn't as good as it is on Directv.

Directv, IME, has the best PQ of any linear TV provider not using streaming so let me get that out of the way.

But, I don't know what you're looking at on what kind of equipment you have but the top streamers have PQ that far surpasses anything that Directv satellite is doing ...and that includes watching it via the Directv app which I've been doing more and more. If they had the same channel lineup I might even consider switching.

Reactions: hansokl
Okay a couple things:
1) the client access fee a per receiver fee. You get one receiver free and each additional one is $7. That is why you see 2 $7 charges and then one of them removed as a $7 credit.
2) the protection plan is helpful if you have to have a truck roll (say your dish comes out of alignment or you want to move it). It was really great back in the day when DTV used to upgrade equipment regularly. I used it to get new upgraded boxes every couple years (unlike some folks in the community that have kept their boxes from 2007, I am less attached and prefer newer/faster). if you do opt to get replacement boxes, it will renew your 2 year agreement. the advantage is the boxes are free. It's also handy if you need a new remote - they'll send you new ones whenever.

IMO i would cancel the protection plan because DTV isn't really refreshing equipment much these days - the gemini is the first new thing in ages. If a box goes out, they'll replace it anyway and remotes are like $8/each on ebay or Solid Signal. Yeah you do incur a risk if you need a truck roll, but that's the case with any "insurance" plan.

If you don't really use DTV a lot (only for sports), you could probably go to the most basic plan and add on sports pack and save some money. You could also drop the extra Genie Mini and just use the DTV app on your Roku/appletv/firestick for the other 8 tvs in your home and save yourself $7 there too

Given that the HR54 already outputs 4K and you have a C61K that does 4K, there's no advantage of upgrading to the HS17 'server' unless you're looking to record A LOT of things simultaneously. It doesn't sound like that's the case for you. If you did move to the HS17, you'd then have to get rid of your HR54 and pick up another C61K, which would give you 3 pieces of DTV equip in your home (there is no extra $7 fee for the HS17 because it doesn't output video).

My personal opinion would be to hold steady with equip and talk to customer service about their basic package + sports pack pricing if all you care about is sports.

Directv, IME, has the best PQ of any linear TV provider not using streaming so let me get that out of the way.

But, I don't know what you're looking at on what kind of equipment you have but the top streamers have PQ that far surpasses anything that Directv satellite is doing ...and that includes watching it via the Directv app which I've been doing more and more. If they had the same channel lineup I might even consider switching.
Thank you! I have mainly use 4K apple tvs for streaming. I've tried YTTV, Hulu, Fubo tv, Directv streaming app and for the most part, the directv quality was a little better. I agree that some of the sports streaming is very good on some of the streaming services. It's more of what cameras the networks are using.

Okay a couple things:
1) the client access fee a per receiver fee. You get one receiver free and each additional one is $7. That is why you see 2 $7 charges and then one of them removed as a $7 credit.
2) the protection plan is helpful if you have to have a truck roll (say your dish comes out of alignment or you want to move it). It was really great back in the day when DTV used to upgrade equipment regularly. I used it to get new upgraded boxes every couple years (unlike some folks in the community that have kept their boxes from 2007, I am less attached and prefer newer/faster). if you do opt to get replacement boxes, it will renew your 2 year agreement. the advantage is the boxes are free. It's also handy if you need a new remote - they'll send you new ones whenever.

IMO i would cancel the protection plan because DTV isn't really refreshing equipment much these days - the gemini is the first new thing in ages. If a box goes out, they'll replace it anyway and remotes are like $8/each on ebay or Solid Signal. Yeah you do incur a risk if you need a truck roll, but that's the case with any "insurance" plan.

If you don't really use DTV a lot (only for sports), you could probably go to the most basic plan and add on sports pack and save some money. You could also drop the extra Genie Mini and just use the DTV app on your Roku/appletv/firestick for the other 8 tvs in your home and save yourself $7 there too

Given that the HR54 already outputs 4K and you have a C61K that does 4K, there's no advantage of upgrading to the HS17 'server' unless you're looking to record A LOT of things simultaneously. It doesn't sound like that's the case for you. If you did move to the HS17, you'd then have to get rid of your HR54 and pick up another C61K, which would give you 3 pieces of DTV equip in your home (there is no extra $7 fee for the HS17 because it doesn't output video).

My personal opinion would be to hold steady with equip and talk to customer service about their basic package + sports pack pricing if all you care about is sports.
Thank you for the explanation on the receiver fee! I'll probably cancel the protection plan too.

Yeah, I watch Directv more during college football season and basketball season and the rest of the year, I probably could go with out. Most of the family uses other streaming apps to watch things. I'll look into the different plans combinations with the sport pack to see what that looks like.

Thanks for the breakdown on the equipment! I don't think my main receiver Genie Gen 3 (HR54-700) can output 4k. Believe I've tried to watch some of those 4k channels before and it wouldn't work but definitely woks on the genie mini. Upgrading to the HS17 doesn't seem worth it and would hate 3 pieces of equipment to move around.

Can you tell me more about the Gemini? It's not a receiver and still would have to be plugged into my equipment I already have? Just trying to figure out whats the real purpose and what you get outside of having your other streaming services apps built in.

Really appreciate the response!

The Protection Plan doesn't just cover DIRECTV equipment. It also covers anything (TVs, AVRs, Speakers, ect.) you use with your DIRECTV system.

Thank you for the explanation on the receiver fee! I'll probably cancel the protection plan too.

Yeah, I watch Directv more during college football season and basketball season and the rest of the year, I probably could go with out. Most of the family uses other streaming apps to watch things. I'll look into the different plans combinations with the sport pack to see what that looks like.

Thanks for the breakdown on the equipment! I don't think my main receiver Genie Gen 3 (HR54-700) can output 4k. Believe I've tried to watch some of those 4k channels before and it wouldn't work but definitely woks on the genie mini. Upgrading to the HS17 doesn't seem worth it and would hate 3 pieces of equipment to move around.

Can you tell me more about the Gemini? It's not a receiver and still would have to be plugged into my equipment I already have? Just trying to figure out whats the real purpose and what you get outside of having your other streaming services apps built in.

Really appreciate the response!
You've framed the Gemini correctly. AFAIK (I have yet to get one) it's a C61K married with a streaming box.

As for the HR54 - it absolutely can support 4k. I had the HR44 before moving to the HS17 and that box supported 4k too. It might be a service issue or you might need your LNB swapped out to one that supports 4k. I'd call DTV to diagnose (maybe before you cancel the protection plan ;))

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
As for the HR54 - it absolutely can support 4k. I had the HR44 before moving to the HS17 and that box supported 4k too.
The HR54 came out in 2015, before chips that could decode 4K were readily available. DirecTV did have 4K content on demand, but did not have 4K channels.
So was the HR44, which came out in 2013 before DirecTV even offered 4K content on demand.
I also can confirm a Slimline 3LNB supports 4K as on my Gemini the 4K channels come in just fine (minus the 4k not compatible, viewing in lower res message, which for me is normal)

Reactions: Jimbo