New Customer Free for 3 Month offer

Instinct

Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Colorado
I have a neighbor ready to sign up with DISH but she doesn't want to take all premiums in the "free for 3 month" offer. Does DISH require the customer to take all 4?

No, a customer does not have to take any of the premium movie channels. They are just a promotion to get new customers.

None of my business, but if they are not charging you for three months, what difference does it make if you get two or four for the first three months? Cancel the two you do not want after the 3rd month. Seems simpler to me, believe me, they are NOT going to understand what you are wanting to do.

Reactions: JSheridan
So DISH allows the customer to take two premiums instead of all four?

Oh, that I'm not sure on. I believe you have to take all four but I've never done it before. Customers either take them all or don't take any. Why not just take all of them if they are free?

Echoing an above sentiment, why not take the freebies?? She can get into her online account (My Offers) and choose for the channels to end rather than keeping and paying.

I believe that the CSR can also check a box on the order so that at the end of the 3 months of premiums it auto-expires so the customer doesn't get a 'gotcha' and get stuck paying for a month before they can cancel.

Usually when I get free or reduced premiums, CSR would setup any premiums to auto expire so it gets removed automatically
So I don't have to worry about calling, I would think Dish does the same, or remove it online.

There are two different kinds of freebies you can get. Roll to pay(charges after expiration) or roll to drop(removed itself). If set up with roll to pay(first three months of service is rtp) then you have to go online to set it up to fall off automatically, or contact a csr 2 weeks prior at the earliest to have it set up to fall off.

There are two different kinds of freebies you can get. Roll to pay(charges after expiration) or roll to drop(removed itself). If set up with roll to pay(first three months of service is rtp) then you have to go online to set it up to fall off automatically, or contact a csr 2 weeks prior at the earliest to have it set up to fall off.

Chad, actually 4 weeks now. For instance, if someone has the 4 freebies at startup from 8/16/14 to 11/16/14, they'll appear on the "future dated" pop-up as able to be set to continue/not continue on or after 10/16/14.

The RTD prems are really abused, they're not supposed to be used except in very rare circumstances. Frankly, the RTP and RTD freebies are overused in a general sense...a lot of customers call in begging for free stuff.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Frankly, the RTP and RTD freebies are overused in a general sense...a lot of customers call in begging for free stuff.

Funny to read this from a Dish employee and put the blame on the "begging" customers. The 3-month freebies I have been offered came out of the blue from CSRs when I was asking about other issues. My take is that Dish does not mind handing them out to good customers as stats probably show people forget to cancel them . . . and good customers pay their bills.

If this is truly abuse of the system, maybe Dish needs to train up their CSRs?

Reactions: bobvick
Funny to read this from a Dish employee and put the blame on the "begging" customers. The 3-month freebies I have been offered came out of the blue from CSRs when I was asking about other issues. My take is that Dish does not mind handing them out to good customers as stats probably show people forget to cancel them . . . and good customers pay their bills.

With the turnover rate in the call centers forget about it.

They are probably handed to you based on your account status and tone of call. If they are afraid of getting a bad CSAT then most of their coaches tell them to just throw freebies at them. If it worked the way they are very well trained on, then there would be significantly less freebies handed out. I blame the coaches and managers, not the agent training.

It's the "chicken or the egg" thing. Customers do indeed ask for it, and it's likely due to certain CSRs handing them out like candy. So, the customer then knows to call and ask for them. It then puts the good CSRs on the spot, as they're not supposed to be given away just because a customer asks for them. And, as Chad suggested, I suspect some sketchy coaches are instructing CSRs to hand them out, but that is shifting the issue from poor customer ratings to a high adjustment rate.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

It then puts the good CSRs on the spot, as they're not supposed to be given away just because a customer asks for them. And, as Chad suggested, I suspect some sketchy coaches are instructing CSRs

Sooooo, the 3-month trials should be given away to customers who DON'T ask for them??

You may think I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not sure I am. Maybe that is the marketing technique - bait the disinterested to get new subs???

All I know is this - if the free trials were really that big of a deal or such a losing proposition for Dish, they sure wouldn't put such things in the hands of CSRs.

I disagree with you. And here is why. The advanced the support agents, have a $1500/customer credit approval limit. That's just what's approved. However they are only expected to issue, at these $10x10 months. Just because they have the availability, doesn't mean anything. But it is a highly abused syst, based on the rules set forth by the company. And it's almost so bad at this point, that moving backwards and doing it right are near impossible.
Customers know they can call up and ask repeatedly for them and play csr roulette and get what they want, but it doesn't do anyone any favors. It's fine to give them out every now and again, but then there are people that expect them free. Give you an example, someone on this forum told someone he received Showtime free for 2 years, because he would play csr roulette with directv. Said eventually someone would eventually give in. At that time, the average price for Showtime was $13. For just that one customer, he was given $312 worth of free programming, that dtv was still charged for, and was telling more people how to do it too. Got mad when dish would not do the same thing for him(rare case they wouldn't). And blamed dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts