New Customer - Is the 922 right for me?

HTPC4Me

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
US
I'm just converting from DirecTV to Dish this Friday, and had to make the receiver decision. I'm a techie - always wanting the latest features, beading edge, and don't mind a few bugs along the way to get there. I am a bit torn between the 722 and 922, but for the moment, have signed up for the 922 - thinking it's the "latest". I understand it doesn't yet have Google TV whereas the 722 does, but it's also my understanding that hardware-wise, the 922 seems to have an edge up, and is therefore more responsive and has a better interface. Am I understanding it all correctly so far? Obviously nothing is written in stone until it happens, but is there a general assumption that the 922 will be receiving a Google TV update at some point in the future (or perhaps similar or even better features)? Or am I way off base here and should just go for the 722 because it's consistently a step ahead of the 922? I see a lot of general "Get the one that already works" threads, but I also know that things change over time... so I guess I really want the one with the most potential - unrealized or not.

If I find I've made the wrong choice (in receiver) after it's installed, what's the penalty for changing my mind? The sales guy I spoke with said that it would be "no problem" as long as I have a service contract, but I have a feeling he left out a few important details there.

How bout reading some of the posts here in the 922 section before you decide to pick it over the 722k? I can tell you this much from my personal experience. It is not the receiver it was supposed to be and it definitely doesn't live up to the hype. But if you want the latest technical receiver withn glitches and software bugs, and a lack of promised features , and an extra $4.00 fee combined with your $6.00 dvr fee, then the 922 can be yours for $200.00 upgrade to LEASE. But if you wait till this week is up at CES , you might find there will be some other new receiver that will be coming down the pike that may interest you more than the 922.

Stay far away. Pick the 722 k and buy a sling adapter and a 1 tb external hard drive. You will be so far ahead of the price curve. Many here are upset with the 200 upfront fee..plus the extra monthly fee...and you can do everything else cheaper except 3d vod.

Don't bother with the 922. It's over hyped. I'll never do it again.

Is it a good box...yes....its gotten better since release. It's almost like dish is forcing the subs to pay for the development of the thing. Take our advice...go the cheaper route and resist temptation of having the cream of the crop. In this economy the way the high end subs are paying of this box is ridiculous.

Stay far away. Pick the 722 k and buy a sling adapter and a 1 tb external hard drive. You will be so far ahead of the price curve. Many here are upset with the 200 upfront fee..plus the extra monthly fee...and you can do everything else cheaper except 3d vod.

Don't bother with the 922. It's over hyped. I'll never do it again.

Is it a good box...yes....its gotten better since release. It's almost like dish is forcing the subs to pay for the development of the thing. Take our advice...go the cheaper route and resist temptation of having the cream of the crop. In this economy the way the high end subs are paying of this box is ridiculous.

Totally agree 100%.:up

I had a 722K for over a year and traded it for a 922. The 922 has been more reliable, and is a lot more pleasant to use. The Sling stuff is nice, when it works.

I agree with JEFFinINDY. For me. the 922 works fine. I'm very happy with the Sling feature and it is very reliable. My only complaint is the inability to record directly onto an EHD. I hope that gets fixed with software updates at some point.

After reading these forums, I am amazed at the hatred that the 922 has generated in some people. There are two or 3 users who have made it their mission to convince everyone that the 922 is to be avoided at all costs. I don't get it. Did the 922 run over thier dogs?

As someone who came from a 622 with 7 years of dish sub, the 922 has been a decent upgrade. The interface and guide is sharp. Recording scheduling seems to work just as well as the 622. Sling functionality is good and for the month that I have had it has worked well. I can see my playon server and get to ESPN3, HULU and other DLNA content. There is significantly more storage room. I wish it supported google TV, but other than that, I am pleased with the upgrade. The receiver seems to get regular updates so maybe google TV will be added soon.

I have no experience with the 722 and the external sling adapter. I can only speak about my upgrade to the 922. As far as my experience goes, the 922 is a good upgrade for those willing to put out the $200 for the receiver and the ongoing sling fee.

Just my opinion.
-Alex-

I had two 622s and a 722 with SA. I upgraded a 622 to the 922. So far I really like it. I don't find the 922 sling any more buggy than the SA on the 722. As with many device operating systems, multi tasking seems to be a problem for sling function. My sling function works well if I avoid all other activities, like uploading/dnloading in another tab, recording etc. I always have to catch myself when I hit skip ahead or a similar command to not hit another button until it has completed the first command. One thing at a time. Granted, it should be able to handle it.

For my purposes, the sling works well enuf but I do look forward to having it work better. Overall, the features on the 922 are a big hit with me. Love the interface. I was impressed with how smoothly everything connected and functioned after it's day of 'settling in'.

bairda said:
After reading these forums, I am amazed at the hatred that the 922 has generated in some people. There are two or 3 users who have made it their mission to convince everyone that the 922 is to be avoided at all costs. I don't get it. Did the 922 run over thier dogs?

As someone who came from a 622 with 7 years of dish sub, the 922 has been a decent upgrade. The interface and guide is sharp. Recording scheduling seems to work just as well as the 622. Sling functionality is good and for the month that I have had it has worked well. I can see my playon server and get to ESPN3, HULU and other DLNA content. There is significantly more storage room. I wish it supported google TV, but other than that, I am pleased with the upgrade. The receiver seems to get regular updates so maybe google TV will be added soon.

I have no experience with the 722 and the external sling adapter. I can only speak about my upgrade to the 922. As far as my experience goes, the 922 is a good upgrade for those willing to put out the $200 for the receiver and the ongoing sling fee.

Just my opinion.
-Alex-

I got the box at launch....and tend to be an uber gadget geek. 200 back then plus a fee.. I could see it .....

12 months later...the box has seen SUBSTANTIAL improvements.....HOWEVER.....now that we have a standalone sling adapter for the 722....why bother?

For 200 you get a better guide...the ability for 3D VOD...and the ability to hook up multiple external drives at the same time.

You also get a box that has recording issues....and sling that functions when it wants to....BTW don't even bother using fast forward or rewind while using sling....sling is still so bad I couldn't imagine using it like a tv2. Picture quality is decent but controlling it is a joke. I have a 30/5 mb connection so its not that.

My beef is that I'm paying more.for features that have barely made it out of beta stage....I'm stuck with it because if I ask for a trade to a 722k I'm still out my 200 plus all the fees I have paid to keep the developers on the job to make it better.

If I were someone considering a 922 I would listen to the warnings....

Unless you really want 3D VOD...buy the sling adapter for the 722 and a 1tb external drive. That's about 200 bucks out of pocket and no monthly 922 fee from Dish.

I got the box at launch....and tend to be an uber gadget geek. 200 back then plus a fee.. I could see it .....

12 months later...the box has seen SUBSTANTIAL improvements.....HOWEVER.....now that we have a standalone sling adapter for the 722....why bother?

For 200 you get a better guide...the ability for 3D VOD...and the ability to hook up multiple external drives at the same time.

You also get a box that has recording issues....and sling that functions when it wants to....BTW don't even bother using fast forward or rewind while using sling....sling is still so bad I couldn't imagine using it like a tv2. Picture quality is decent but controlling it is a joke. I have a 30/5 mb connection so its not that.

My beef is that I'm paying more.for features that have barely made it out of beta stage....I'm stuck with it because if I ask for a trade to a 722k I'm still out my 200 plus all the fees I have paid to keep the developers on the job to make it better.

If I were someone considering a 922 I would listen to the warnings....

Unless you really want 3D VOD...buy the sling adapter for the 722 and a 1tb external drive. That's about 200 bucks out of pocket and no monthly 922 fee from Dish.

My sentiments exactly. Good post.:up

harshness said:
I'd say that compared to the promise, the ViP922 pretty much monkey stomped their hopes.

Dish if your still going to charge the same upfront fees for a box about a year old AND the monthly fee ....the thing should be near perfect...

I'm waiting a year so that I feel like I broke even and this thing is history.... The 722 is THE most flexible and reliable box on Dish....period.

I'd say that compared to the promise, the ViP922 pretty much monkey stomped their hopes.
This is very true. The promised features never made it to the box. Factor in the extra monthly fee cost and the unreliable off/on sling feature , and you can see why many people's hopes were stomped. Now they are supposedly coming out with the sling extender , which is why I wanted the 922 in the first place, but when it is released is anybody's guess.

Forget google tv on the 922. Remember that DISH stated in their TECH Forum chat that the 922 did not have the processing power to do google tv. The rumered 923 receiver was supposed to have enough processing power to do google tv. However, DISH has not unveiled the 923 at CES. Who knows if and when it will come?

Hello. I just switched from Directv to Dish and got the VIP-922 Saturday morning. So far it has been a pleasant change from Directv. The receiver is fast, responsive and very versatile. The Sling feature has worked very well on my 8mbps connection. The only glitch that I experienced involved not getting video on a tuner after turning on the tv having been on sling and that was fixed by turning the standby off and on from the remote. I have my Harmoney one working with it flawlesly and everything is good. While no device is perfect and I can certainly see some points that I would change, I can say that for me the VIP-922 has been a great experience so far.

I don't know what every one is complaining about. But for me the 922 is hands down worth every penny. The interface alone is worth the upgrade. Faster more responsive. Better menu system. Sling works great for me but I have a very fast internet connection. 100mb DL 10mb UL. When I go into my office & watch my 612 I feel like going from my 3.4 quad core computer running windows 7 to my old single core pentium running windows 98. Although I don,t need the sling in my office I am upgrading it to the 922. The internal HD is much bigger. Transferring to my external 1TB HD is so much easier. I have 3 brothers living in TX all with 722s after visiting me & playing with the 922 all upgraded & are extremely happy with it. Most of what I have experienced first hand with poor sling performance can be traced to slow internet connections & or poor home network configurations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts