New Customer Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MrMojoRisin

Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I have had D* for years at parent's house and recently bought a house and have a few questions before installation. I need 5 receivers 4 of which need to be HiDef ones. All rooms are wired from the previous owners with cable runs. Can someone let me know how to do this? I appreciate your help in advance. Also great to be part of forum.

Mike

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Give Robert a call at Value Electronics. He will get you the absolute best deal for your setup. Just click on the link at the top of the page and give them a call. He gives all of us a 10% discount just for being members here.

Thanks for the advice I was going to do that, I'm more curious about the wiring as most pre-configured systems only have one HiDef receiver and I need 4 of them and one standard one. I am willing to wait for new promos to start August 1st, only two weeks away, no TV sucks though, lol. I want to would love to wait for the MPEG 4 HiDef receivers to but not sure whether they will be out soon or if it will just be a waiting game. As for Tivo I would love it but without HMC not worth it for me. Thanks for any assistance you can give. Thanks for the warm welcome too.

Mike

Where are you located? If you're in the top 12 DMA markets then you will get the upgrade from Directv once they roll it out, for MPEG-4.

I'm in NJ but very close to NYC so considered to part of NYC my zip is 07748. Not as much concerned with upgrade of MPEG 4 as with the new promos and rumors that the HiDef receivers could be free with 2 year contract for new customers. Then I can always upgrade to the new receivers.

Mike

Robert at VE would be able to answer your questions.

He's on here as DTV Tivo Dealer

Ok I've been reading and have a question now. I will be installing a three LNB dish with a OTA HiDef antenna and will have a 5X8 multiswitch. I wish to have:

(1) Std reciever - 1 output
(2) HiDef Recievers - 2 outputs
(2) HiDef Tivos - 4 outputs

Please correct me if I'm wrong too. My problem is I just bought this house and it will be a huge pain to run new lines. Can I use two outputs from the multiswitch for the HiDef Tivos and use a combiner or diplexer or something and and then have it go through one line and then resplit them before the reciever? I really need help doing this as I will be this myself. Thanks in advance.

Mike :confused:

No you must have two lines running to the HD Tivo. You can not combine the lines with a diplexer. You could put in a "stacker/destacker" which will allow you to do this but they are very expensive.

I am also going to get D* after the August 1st deals. Will Value Electronics give a 10% discount on top of the current D* deals? So I should contact him after August 1st instead of D*?

shramj said:
I am also going to get D* after the August 1st deals. Will Value Electronics give a 10% discount on top of the current D* deals? So I should contact him after August 1st instead of D*?

Please call us. I do not know exactly what special forum additional discount you will get form us, but I am 100% sure it will be a better deal than DIRECTV or any other retailer will do.

-Robert

Thanks Robert, I will be calling you after August 1st. I see you are in NY and I am in AZ, can you still help us outside of New York?

shramj said:
Thanks Robert, I will be calling you after August 1st. I see you are in NY and I am in AZ, can you still help us outside of New York?
His company services all of the US (48 state)

We have only two HD receivers (one HD TiVo) and a standard definition D* TiVo, but nine televisions, two HD and seven standard.

First, I am a fan of the Terk powered multiswitches, but Winegard and some others make good ones. We have the Terk 5x8, which should work well for you as long as you do not have more than one TiVo (each TiVo needs two lines, do the math). Eight outputs should be enough for five boxes.

We have used the poor man solution of having only two HD locations, with our standard TiVo and D* tuner wired into a modulator which combines via a distribution hub with the antenna. This solution takes only three tuner boxes for nine TVs, but each can watch anything on the TiVo, anything on the antenna, and anything on satellite. The result is that we can go to any TV in the house, tune in channel 17, and watch whatever the output is on our standard def tuner/TiVo without having any additional boxes at each location (we have an RF remote expander, so you can carry one remote anywhere and watch the primary box on any one of the nine TVs, with the only additional wire being the one backwards from the modulator to the antenna wire hub-cheap, simple, but only for standard def). This solution would at least work for your non HD location, or if you decide not to have four HD boxes (very cool, by the way!). The location which feeds the modulator also has our older Sony HD-200 tuner, so the person there can watch some other program without upsetting the other TiVo out put. So, for instance, I can go to the gym TV, turn on a recorded TiVo or satellite show, and watch, even though the TV has no box, only an antenna wire. If my wife wanted to watch the source TV, she can use the other tuner in HD without disturbing my program. This does require one location with two lines for the TiVo, one for the antenna, one for the HD tuner and a line from the modulator back to the hub or multiswitch (five in all). But, I do not rent multiple boxes for nine TVs.

Satellite Guys is a reputable advisor and provider with the most solutions. They can help, but some aspects of your system you will want to be personally involved in. Good luck! Please come back and tell us what you ultimately do. Thanks.

I second the recomendation to call Robert. I got a great deal on the equipment, and after suffering install issues with my HD channels, he made sure they got resolved (even though I'm in Minnesota).

Thanks again Robert! :)

Here's another question for you experts.

The builder of our new home has a data cabinet in the utility room and it has a 5x8 powered Multi-switch. I see that I have 2 Cox Cables feeds and 2 or maybe 3 Satellite feeds coming into this cabinet. They also put an outlet on the side of my house next to where you would mount the dish. I want to get a 4 room setup but I would actually really like to watch D* on more then 4 TV's. So would I still have to buy a seperate receiver for each room I plan on watching D* or is there another device I could buy to feed the other rooms? I am going to get Sunday Ticket and it would be cool if I could have a different game on in each room. If I had a Receiver in my Family Room, I could always split that feed to watch the same thing on my patio correct but is there something I could buy to watch whatever other channel I wanted on the patio without having a seperate receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)