Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
I've been looking for a new powerful 15" laptop with a high-resolution screen, 16GB RAM, but thin and light. Essentially something similar to Apple Retina MBP, but designed for Windows 8.1, with touch screen and the latest Haswell CPU. And I think I have finally found what I've been looking for.

Dell has just started taking orders for its new XPS 15. The specs are pretty impressive:

attachment.php

- 15.6 inch IGZO display with QHD+ resolution (3200 x 1880) with touch

- 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ processor (6M Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)

- 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)

- 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive + 32GB mSATA Solid State Drive

- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

- Height: 0.3"-0.7" (8 -18mm) / Width: 14.6" (372mm) / Depth 10" (254mm), weight starting at 4.44lbs (2.01kg)

Listed at $1899.99 with the above specs

I am very interested! I think I might be getting one, but I will probably wait for initial reviews. There is also Precision M3800 coming out next month with very similar specs. I'll see how that one compares.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382114177.834682.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382114177.834682.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 3,723
Dell currently offers three configurations:

1. FHD (1920 x 1080), Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD, $1,499.99
2. QHD+ (3200 x 1880), Core i7-4702HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive + 32GB mSATA SSD, $1,899.99
3. QHD+ (3200 x 1880), Core i7-4702HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB mSATA SSD, $2,299.99

The $2,299.99 configuration also includes a bigger 91 WHr battery that claims 11 hours of browsing time!
But apparently it sacrifices the HDD slot to make room for the bigger battery.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd

Ilya:

Dell could be putting the SSD in the msata slot.

I wonder if one could hackintosh the XPS15... That would be quite a trick ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

On the same day (in fact at the same hour!) when Apple was announcing its Haswell update to the rMBP, Dell has officially launched its new Mobile Workstation at its Technology Camp in Paris, Precision M3800: http://www.dell.com/speedoflight

As I understand, the M3800 will be almost identical to the New XPS 15. Exact same specs and build. The main difference will be the video card: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M GPU vs. the GeForce GT 750M in the XPS 15. It will be ISV certified and intended for professional applications, rather than gaming. It will probably come with a 3-year standard warranty and more customization options, being a workstation. The M3800 is also compatible with Dell's wireless WiGig docking station.

Availability is announced for Nov. 14 with a starting price of $1,799 USD

So, Dell will have two thin-and-light workstation-class laptops next month: one in XPS line and one in Precision line.

What I like the most, is that unlike rMBP, these laptops are supposed to be fully user-upgradable: you will be able to replace the battery, RAM, the Hard drive, mSATA SSD and in Dell traditions, this shouldn't even void the warranty! I am truly excited! :)

Ilya:

Dell could be putting the SSD in the msata slot.

Yes, both the M3800 and the New XPS 15 can have up to two drives: one 2.5" HDD (or SSD) and one mSATA SSD. So you can easily have 1.5 TB of storage: a 512GB mSATA SSD and another 1TB HDD/SSD. Both slots are SATA3 (6 Gbps), by the way!
However, the bigger 91Whr battery occupies the 2.5" HDD slot, leaving only the mSATA slot available for the system disk (512GB mSATA SSD, for example). So, one can choose the preferred configuration: bigger battery, or extra disk storage.

Ordered the M3800. I should have it in a couple of weeks!

Looks like a nice device.. Been looking at some of the new Samsung Ativ 9 Models they don't look too bad either..

ATIV Book 9 Plus also has QHD+ (3200 x 1800) resolution. Very impressive for such a small and light notebook!
However, for my work, I need more RAM, much bigger drive and would prefer a 15" screen to take full advantage of the QHD+ resolution.
The dual-drive capability of the M3800 is what really sold me!

Would love to put a 128/256 in the MSata for Base OS+Apps and then a 512GB SSD for virtuals. But I can't even get my 5 year old work laptop replaced.

BYOD ain't happening yet, and I don't know that I'd want to that anyway.

I ordered one of the M3800 workstations, and I should have it in January. I'll let you know how it performs. I like the performance specs and the light weight...

I've just received my M3800. I will post my comments after I spend some time using it, but the first impression is very good! Love it!

I received my M3800 today. I'm not a graphics professional and don't use Windows 8, so I opted for the 1920x1080 display resolution and Windows 7. Other people have complained that several applications under Windows 7 do not scale well on the 3200x1880 screen. It does come with a memory stick that will allow loading Windows 8.1.

I did get the 500GB m-SATA drive and the 91wh battery. I've had it on for 3 hours now, and it's at 73% battery remaining (another 5.5 hours). This is after downloading and installing the Windows update fixes (important and optional), about 465MB. It is completely silent. I don't hear the "coil whine" that others have complained about. Maybe my hearing doesn't go into that range.

The bottom isn't even warm. This will be a good lap machine.

When I get my Visual Studio loaded I'll do a comparison with my Dell desktop on compilation speed. I know already that the boot time is under 30 seconds, including the time required to type in my password. This system runs rings around my old Dell Inspiron 9300, and it's beautiful.

Dell Precision M3800 - my mini-review

After 2 months of using my Dell Precision M3800 for hours a day, I must say I am very happy with this computer! Very solid construction, gorgeous 15" display, very thin and light for its size, and a lot of horse-power under the hood! By far the best computer I've ever owned, not just in its power, but also in its overall ergonomics.

Here are some random comments and observations:

Specs
  • Intel Core i7-4702HQ quad-core CPU
  • NVIDIA Quadro K1100M graphics with 2GB GDDR5.
  • 15.6" UltraSharp™ IGZO QHD+ (3200x1800) with Touch.
  • 16 GB RAM
Battery
I've opted for a smaller 61Whr battery (in order to make room for a dual-drive configuration). But even with this smaller battery I easily get solid 4 hours even without going to the Power Saver mode. Enough for a typical flight: and that's all I really need, as I am plugged in most of the time.

Storage
My M3800 came with two drives: a 512 GB SSD - the boot drive (Samsung SM841 6 Gbits/s mSATA) and a 512 GB Hybrid SSHD (2.5" Seagate ST500LM000). 1 TB of total storage!
The Hybrid drive is essentially a hard drive with an SSD buffer. I really like the dual drive configuration. Not only it gives me huge storage space, but also an extra level of redundancy: I can do an internal backup of some most important files from the SSD drive to the hard drive. And it will be very easy to upgrade the data drive down the road without replacing the system SSD drive.

Construction
The laptop has a solid metal (aluminum?) frame, solid aluminum cover with Corning Gorilla Glass and a carbon-fiber base. Feels very strong and solid. The palm rest is soft to touch: nicer to your palms (and to your eyes too, being all black) than a solid aluminum surface of an MBP, but the downside is that it collects the dust easily and might be harder to clean.

Display
The QHD+ (3200x1800) display is gorgeous! Probably an overkill for my purposes, but hey, what the heck! I love it! The colors look right to me. I haven't done any calibration, but those who have claim it's pretty accurate out of the box. Just make sure to disable the Splendid Color mode in the Mobility Center, otherwise the colors would be oversaturated.

Display Scaling
Windows 8.1 that my notebook came with, does a great job scaling to the QHD+ resolution. You don't even have to change the DPI manually, it does that automatically. The menus and text don't look tiny in spite of this near 4K resolution. Windows 8.1 even supports different DPI settings for multiple displays - very useful when using an external monitor simultaneously with the internal display. Most Microsoft products, including Visual Studio and of course Microsoft Office and the Internet Explorer, all scale very well. The Remote Desktop doesn't scale, but there are workarounds. Unfortunately some third-party vendors (including Adobe) are not always up-to-speed with HiDPI support. No problems with Adobe Lightroom 5 however, which I use for photo editing. If the scaling becomes a problem with third-party products, I simply lower the screen resolution to 1080p or even 1600x900, which looks pretty good. Because the pixels are so tiny, there is no problem using non-native resolutions, unless you are working with graphics. Just make sure to log out and then log in back after changing the resolution.

Keyboard and touchpad
I like the keyboard. Good response. It's backlit and can be easily used in the dark. The touchpad is ok, but not nearly as good as on my MacBook Pro: one area that could certainly be improved. But it's not bad. I am getting used to it.

Touchscreen
The touchscreen is very responsive. Almost like on my iPad. I do need the touchscreen for development and testing purposes, but I didn't expect to use it too often. Surprisingly I am getting the hang of it! Certain things, like scrolling the pages, are just easier to do with the touchscreen.

Ports and features
I really like having four USB ports! And I do need all four of them! Three of the ports are USB 3.0. There is also a mini-DP port and an HDMI. Unfortunately no Ethernet port (rather strange for a workstation class laptop), but it does come with a USB-Ethernet adapter, (I got another one, which is USB 3 and also a USB 3 dock). WiFi is fast (AC), but I am having some occasional issues with connection stability. I haven't checked the updated drivers yet - hopefully that will help. Or perhaps it's an issue with my router - still looking into it.

The huge thing for me is that this laptop is user-upgradable and can have two internal drives: one mSATA and one full-size 2.5" SATA. Both are 6 Gbit/s.

Overall I am very happy with this machine! It is expensive, but in my opinion, the cost is justified. It's a true mobile workstation: light, yet very powerful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)