New Dish Customer - New HD Duo DVR question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

noahclem

Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
Silver Spring, MD
Hi Everyone - Happy New Year!!!

I am a new Dish Customer - haven't even been installed yet. I got my first HD tv for Christmas (yaay wife!). I called to get HD DVR service (the DuoDVR service).

I was supposed to be installed yesterday, but the ice made roof installation too dangerous. So I decided to spend way too much time :))) reading this forum to try to understand this whole HD and Dish Network thing.

I have an antenna on my roof which I could use to get OTA HD (which the Directv people cut when they installed me - I didn't know or care until yesterday). I bought a cheap radioshack indoor rabbit ears which I am using to watch the bowl games (the OTA HD rocks!!).

So, reading this forum, I read that the DuoDVR would need a module bought and installed to get the OTA working with the Dish. So I started a chat session to ask if the DVR could get that module.

The customer service rep said that I couldn't get the module because I have been issued the VIP 622, rather than the 722k, and that they discontinued the 722 (offer?). When I mentioned that the website has the 722 as the DuoDVR listed, (not 622), and asked whether I could get a receiver that would allow OTA, she wrote that it would cost $549 to upgrade to 722. I am really wishing I had discovered this forum (and DishStore) before signing up.

My question to the forum is whether this is right? #1 is there any big difference between the 622 and 722 beyond the recording space issue or OTA capability? Is there any other option to paying $549 (?!!??!). Should I just forget about it and stay with Directv? Any advice for dealing with this issue?

Thank you for your help,
Noah

The 622 and 722 are identical except for color and recording capacity. Both have a single build in OTA receiver. The 722K has no OTA capabilty built in but a module can be added for an additional charge that has two OTA tuners.

Hi Everyone - Happy New Year!!!

I am a new Dish Customer - haven't even been installed yet. I got my first HD tv for Christmas (yaay wife!). I called to get HD DVR service (the DuoDVR service).

I was supposed to be installed yesterday, but the ice made roof installation too dangerous. So I decided to spend way too much time :))) reading this forum to try to understand this whole HD and Dish Network thing.

I have an antenna on my roof which I could use to get OTA HD (which the Directv people cut when they installed me - I didn't know or care until yesterday). I bought a cheap radioshack indoor rabbit ears which I am using to watch the bowl games (the OTA HD rocks!!).

So, reading this forum, I read that the DuoDVR would need a module bought and installed to get the OTA working with the Dish. So I started a chat session to ask if the DVR could get that module.

The customer service rep said that I couldn't get the module because I have been issued the VIP 622, rather than the 722k, and that they discontinued the 722 (offer?). When I mentioned that the website has the 722 as the DuoDVR listed, (not 622), and asked whether I could get a receiver that would allow OTA, she wrote that it would cost $549 to upgrade to 722. I am really wishing I had discovered this forum (and DishStore) before signing up.

My question to the forum is whether this is right? #1 is there any big difference between the 622 and 722 beyond the recording space issue or OTA capability? Is there any other option to paying $549 (?!!??!). Should I just forget about it and stay with Directv? Any advice for dealing with this issue?

Thank you for your help,
Noah

The K is the one that needs a module and the 622 is the oldest of the VIP series. It had a smaller HDD than the 722. The $549 is BS for a new customer. You should get the 722k and then put in the OTA module which will cost you $30. Then you will be able to to record 4 things at once 2 sat 2 OTA. Use the outdoor ant for better signal than indoor. Call or go on line( I prefer the later cause then you can copy it for proof of what said). BTW the 722k has a bigger HDD.

Both the 622 and 722 have OTA capability built in, only difference is disk size. The newer 722k requires a $30 module to get OTA. If the installer has a 722k, just tell him/her you need the OTA module.

edit: two others answered while was typing

If your not installed yet, you can cancel your existing order and place a new one through Dishstore and qualify for our rebate which is up to $75.

As far as ice on the roof, unless the installer is going on your roof this is not really an issue. Usually the Dish is put right on the edge of the roof so the installer never actually has to go up there.

When I was an installer I would do is ask the customer for a bucket and start filling it with hot water, and then pour it on the roof and melt away the ice so I could get down to the shingles to mount the Dish

Thank you. So I got installed this morning - the installers were great - they installed the 722k without my asking anything. They didn't have the OTA module on them but told me how to hook it up, and hooked up my OTA antenna to the TV (the one the Directv guys cut) - totally cleaned up the wires that Directv left hanging down my house. I can't tell you how much better this install was than the Directv guys (and I just had a Directv install for my brother). I bought them lunch.

I don't really understand why the Customer Service Rep was so unhelpful yesterday, I was rethinking the dish thing totally, but I am a happy camper now, even if regretful that I missed out on Claude's great deal :)

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Excellent!

You will really dig the 722k. I got the OTA module installed, and being able to record 4 HD programs simultaneously is very cool.

good software and user interface too. it's missing a couple of features I had with Tivo, but it also has advantages, like the external hard drive feature, that puts YOU in control of the external drive, unlike Tivo and DirecTV

enjoy!

Jeff

Glad 4 U

:upI'm really glad things went well. Now you can order the OTA module for 30 and put it into it. Then you will be able to record 2 OTA & 2 sat then watch something else at the same time. BTW CSR can stand for "can be seriously retarded". Most just have script to read from and will not deviate from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)