New Dish Customer, VERY IMPRESSED

redman042

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Folsom, California (95630)
As of yesterday I am a new customer of Dish network. I'm about to pick up the phone and cancel our DirecTV account. When they try to convince me to change my mind, I will laugh my arse off. D* has a LOT of work to do to catch up to Dish, and I'm not going to sit around and wait while they launch more birds and figure out how to build a good HD-DVR. Sorry guys, you've been smoked by the competition, and I want my HD content TODAY, not next year!

I've only had a day and a half to play with the 622 DVR and check out our HD Gold package, and I'm already blown away. SO many channels, and amazing image quality. I have to ask myself, what took me so long to make the switch? Well, I guess a few months ago the 622 was too new and had issues, but I'm sure glad now that we switched.

While my install didn't go perfectly, it was close. They actually showed up on time and the technician was very professional. He didn't program the two remotes correctly though, but I figured it out after a short time. He also thought it was okay to set the 622 on top of our D* Tivo (which we are still using until we've watched all the stored programming on it), but this turned out to be a bad idea because they were sharing hot air and the 622 crashed several times. Once I separated them, the problems stopped. Otherwise, everything is great.

I'm REALLY impressed with the amount and quality of the HD programming. I see very little signs of compression or softness, and even the Voom channels look pretty darn good (and those are HD Lite). Our HD locals also look great.

The 622 DVR is an amazing piece of technology. It's blazing fast, the remote layout is awesome, and it has a TON of storage. We love the TV2 output feature. While it would be nice to have HD output for TV2, the convenience of accessing one hard drive from two TVs is much more important to us. We only want to program one DVR, not two (so we operate in single mode).

Probably my biggest mistake was having Dish installed the day after we got back from vacation. My wife was very tired and her first reaction was extreme annoyance with the 622 interface. She was very used to our D* Tivo. But things are much better now. She's getting the hang of it and finding that there is a way to do most of the things the Tivo did, it's just different. And she's finding out about all the advantages of the 622 over the Tivo.

Anyway, I'm totally stoked about Dish and finally my 1-year old 50" DLP TV is getting the HD content it deserves.:up

C'mon in.... the water's fine.

The equipment's a little flaky sometimes, but the guide scrolls MUCH faster.

Plus, if you're a movie geek don't miss some of the extra channels we've got, especially the Voom channels....

My install is scheduled for Sunday, and we are looking forward to it. I have been with DTV since 2000, and was hesitant about switching, but they don't offer anything for the HD crowd. My wife is excited that Food HD is scheduled to kick in at the end of the month, and me, I am just excited about being able to record my HD locals. Watching live TV for the past few months to enjoy HD has been hell.

Welcome to Dish it Rocks! Yeah glad to here your install went good some will go well others will not. But with installs it all depends on who is doing it some folks do better work than others. So installs will always depend on where you live and how well folks in that aera do their work. Anyway yeah everyone is going to be playing catch up to Dish for awhile. It seems that Charles does a better job about getting the networks to sign up with him. Right now I see Dish being the true Sat leader and will just keep growing. Charles would be a fool to merge with Direct a ship that keeps going down. Untill they get someone in charge who keeps things more up to date and in better tune with their customers direct will always have issues. Again congrats on everything enjoy the Dish!! :)

I'm so glad to see a positive post amongst the usual sea of negativity.

Gratz on making the switch!

Don't let the negativity phase you. You will find, especially on internet forums, un-ending negativity for all providers. There's always a downside no matter who you go with. But I bet you will find a lot more negativity on DirecTV's forum than here.

redman042 said:
As of yesterday I am a new customer of Dish network. I'm about to pick up the phone and cancel our DirecTV account. When they try to convince me to change my mind, I will laugh my arse off. D* has a LOT of work to do to catch up to Dish, and I'm not going to sit around and wait while they launch more birds and figure out how to build a good HD-DVR. Sorry guys, you've been smoked by the competition, and I want my HD content TODAY, not next year!

I've only had a day and a half to play with the 622 DVR and check out our HD Gold package, and I'm already blown away. SO many channels, and amazing image quality. I have to ask myself, what took me so long to make the switch? Well, I guess a few months ago the 622 was too new and had issues, but I'm sure glad now that we switched.

While my install didn't go perfectly, it was close. They actually showed up on time and the technician was very professional. He didn't program the two remotes correctly though, but I figured it out after a short time. He also thought it was okay to set the 622 on top of our D* Tivo (which we are still using until we've watched all the stored programming on it), but this turned out to be a bad idea because they were sharing hot air and the 622 crashed several times. Once I separated them, the problems stopped. Otherwise, everything is great.

I'm REALLY impressed with the amount and quality of the HD programming. I see very little signs of compression or softness, and even the Voom channels look pretty darn good (and those are HD Lite). Our HD locals also look great.

The 622 DVR is an amazing piece of technology. It's blazing fast, the remote layout is awesome, and it has a TON of storage. We love the TV2 output feature. While it would be nice to have HD output for TV2, the convenience of accessing one hard drive from two TVs is much more important to us. We only want to program one DVR, not two (so we operate in single mode).

Probably my biggest mistake was having Dish installed the day after we got back from vacation. My wife was very tired and her first reaction was extreme annoyance with the 622 interface. She was very used to our D* Tivo. But things are much better now. She's getting the hang of it and finding that there is a way to do most of the things the Tivo did, it's just different. And she's finding out about all the advantages of the 622 over the Tivo.

Anyway, I'm totally stoked about Dish and finally my 1-year old 50" DLP TV is getting the HD content it deserves.:up

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience. Far too many times only those that are unhappy take the time and thus gives those that visit these type of Forums the impression that NO ONE is happy. I'm sure it is universal, the American Way.

Since I have both D* HD & E* HD I think I know how you feel. It is like "I can't believe this!" "What a surprise!" " Would never have believe that DISH HD programing is so good!"

Wife and I watch most of our HD programing on DISH and VOOM seems to always have something interesting to view, too. As an original VOOMER I can state that not everything is a repeat and more new programing is being added each month.

Enjoy!

I've tried Adelphia, D*, and am currently with E* for HD.

E* HD is much better. Customer service is so so, but HD PQ and selection is better IMHO

Same here, went from DTV, to Cox and now with E. I'm impressed too with the PQ, HD selection and love the Sirius stations. The installer sucked also. I basically took everting he did, and redid it my way.

Glad to hear you're a happy new 622 user. This is a great peice of equipment. Especially since the latest software update. You couldn't have come at a better time. Welcome and thanks for sharing your positive refreshing story. :wave

:welcome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)