New Dish HD Customer with a couple questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rancidzombie79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Hey all.

I'm an old Voom customer that finally came back to satellite and left TWC. I have two questions though.

First, I saw a post for StarzHD, NatGeoHD, and HGTVHD but I have none of those channels. Have these not been released yet, but you know they are coming? I don't know what uplinked means. According to my reciever settings, I am seeing 119, 110, and 129 which makes me think I should have them as well. By the way, I have the HD Platinum pack.

Secondly, I figured out how to set my hd tv to the correct settings for the hd channels, but it makes my standard channels small (black bars on all four sides of the picture). Is there a way to set up the reciever so that it will change from 1080 setting to 480 setting for the standard channels, or must I manually do it everytime?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

Uplinked means that Dish has placed the channel information up on the satellites, and some folks around here can view the data only using some software the views satellite transmissions.

The channels have not been released to customers yet. Speculation is that it will be the first week of June, during the annual Team Summit for retailers that Dish puts on. You'll see it here very quickly as soon as anyone is able to view the actual channels.

Will these channels be available to customers with ANY level of HD service - for example, anybody with Dish HD Bronze, Silver, or Platinum? And if it is for everybody, is this the rule for any future HD channels that Dish releases? Thanks for any info!

National Geographic HD and HGTV HD will be available to all customers who receive all VOOM programming. Basically if you have an MPEG4 receiver, and you're subsribed to any HD Pack (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum), you'll get it. You will only get Starz HD if you're subscribed to the Starz SuperPack.

Its times like these I wish Dish Network would have an HD movies pack that lets us get 3 HD movie channels like HBO HD, Showtime HD, and Starz HD for something like $19/month. Useful for customers like me who really only watch the main channels of those movie packs.

Last edited:
rancidzombie79 said:
Secondly, I figured out how to set my hd tv to the correct settings for the hd channels, but it makes my standard channels small (black bars on all four sides of the picture). Is there a way to set up the reciever so that it will change from 1080 setting to 480 setting for the standard channels, or must I manually do it everytime?

Press the Star (*) button on the remote until the picture fits to your liking. Does that help?

chrisw27 said:
Press the Star (*) button on the remote until the picture fits to your liking. Does that help?

no, all it does is change the hd size (stretch, gray bar, ect.) but does nothing for the standard channels.

More new Dish subscriber questions:

I am going to buy a Vip 622 retail and then buy my programming separately.

1) Which satellite dish do I need ( 1000?) and what is the best way to get it if I am purchasing the Vip 622? If I sign up for programming and installation (for the free SD box) via Dish's website, can I request a 1000 there if I am not leasing?

2) Can I still get the free installation from Dish as a new customer? Do I have to sign up via their website to get the free installation?

3) Are there any other deals out there for new Dish customers that I can take advantage of to reduce my entry cost or my monthly programming cost? For example, I saw somebody mention a ClubDish $50 gift card. Anything else?

My goal is to purchase the Vip 622 and then get everything else as inexpensively as possible. Programming wise, I will go with either Bronze HD or Bronze HD Latino. + maybe Starz once the HD version comes on line.

Also, if I have to buy the dish, what is a reasonable price? Shipping?

Then if I buy this equipment, will Dish give me some kind of credit if I sign up for installation of the free standard def equipment on their website and then tell them I don't need the standard def stuff.

So if I pay $499 for the 622 versus leasing it for $299 + $10 per month, my upfront cost difference is more than $200, because I also have to pay $xx for the dish/antenna, correct?

So if I pay $50 for the 1000 antenna, then my upfront cost difference is $250 ($549 versus $299)?

If you're in the SF Bay Area then you could get to sat 129 no problem. They should install two dishes, its better than one.

chrisw27 said:
National Geographic HD and HGTV HD will be available to all customers who receive all VOOM programming.
Is this confirmed or will we need the equivalent level of SD Programming (HD Gold) package to receive National Geographic HD?

CubsWin said:
Is this confirmed or will we need the equivalent level of SD Programming (HD Gold) package to receive National Geographic HD?
The latest word from those who have an ear inside is that all metallic subscribers will receive NG-HD. It could change, lets hope not!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)