New Dish HD packages for 811 User

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Currently I have a Dish 811 HD reciever with Americas Top 60 and the old HD package that costs $9.99 extra. I get my locals including HD with an OTA and my total bill is around $35 per month.

I haven't kept track of what Dish is offering in regards to HD but in looking today I see they now have four packages (Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum) that appear to all offer 23 HD channels and various levels of SD programming.

I have some questions about possible upgrades for me:confused: .

1. I can't seem to find a list that shows what the 23 HD channels are, can someone point me to a list?

2. Are there any more "shot in HD" channels or are most of these just "broadcast in HD material"?

3. Looks like I would have to upgrade to a ViP211 or ViP622 receiver as I guess my 811 won't work on the new package? Why is this the case?

4. If I decide to upgrade will Dish give me a new receiver or will I have to purchase one and if so at what price?

5. Any other suggestions are appreciated:) .

Thanks.

7 New Channels

Universal HD, ESPN2 HD, and 5 new voom

you can upgrade your 811 to a 211 for $49.

BFG said:
7 New Channels

Universal HD, ESPN2 HD, and 5 new voom

you can upgrade your 811 to a 211 for $49.

Bryan:

Thanks for the info, forgot to mention I currently have a Dish 500 aimed at 110/119, would I need another Dish for the new packages and if so would I be charged for it?

I only get the following HD now: ESPNHD, HDNet, HDMovie, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD so if I would get 23 channels then I must be picking up more than just 7 new ones.

What sort of programming is on Universal HD? What are the 5 Voom Channels and whats on them? Will these be native HD material or just broadcast as such?

In regards to the 811 to 211 upgrade, is this a better reciever than what I have and if so how or is it just required and not better?

My 811 currently feeds my Sony CRT RP set via both a DVI and a composite input (for SD) but I guess I could either use a converter at the STB end or buy another Component cable set.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The VIP-211 is an MPEG-4 reciever. The software is Linux based, which to me look better than the 811. It has HDMI and USB. It also has a ethernet port for future use.

To bridge your gap there are also the other 10 Voom Channels that you aren't getting now (but could with your current setup - they are MPEG 2).

I was brief because this info was covered ad nauseum.

your $49 upgrade to a 211 includes the correct dish installation.

universal hd info is here - www.universalhd.com
voom info here - www.voom.com

What do you mean by better? it's a new receiver, but the features are going to be the same basic as the 811, 1 tuner HD receiver, it has a newer guide and all that jazz. It's required because they plan to phase to MPEG4, and the 811 cannot receive that

BFG said:
What do you mean by better?

PQ mostly.

I also see from a bit of browsing that the 211 has perhaps fewer connections. I guess I need to see how many it has and figure out if I can live with that.

Thanks again.

Best to read some of the many forums on your topic! You need to get most of the new HD from Sat 129. Dish will not change your HD package as the new channels can not be seen via your old 811, if they did change your package you would lose all of your current HD programs. There are several posts that the new sets have a better picture. Hang in and change it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)