New dish install coming. Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tdouble

Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
West Virginia
Hello guys-

Long time DirecTV customer. Upgrade to HDDVR coming Monday the 15th and they are putting in a new dish. Getting rid of an old Hughes SD-DVR40 and keeping a R-15 along with whatever they bring. My zip is 25701 if that helps.

Few questions, please.

1. Will they need to pull new cable? I have it already in place for the existing DVRs, a pair for each dual tuner DVR.

2. Does cable go directly from Dish to DVR like they old style or is there a splitter/combiner now? (I can't think of the part number for that device). Don't know if those devices will work with the R-15 receiver I'm keeping...

Thanks for any information. I would like to work on the wiring before the install.

if the Slimline dish with non-SWM LNB is installed then they will need to connect all four lines from this dish to receivers in the house. If you will have more than four tuners, then they will install an WB68 multiswitch and connect the receivers to it. Your R15 will work fine with this setup.

If they install the Slimline SWM LNB dish then only one line is required from the dish. There will be SWM splitters used to connect to your receivers (DVRs only need one line in this instance). I don't remember if the R15 is SWM compatible.

They probably won't use SWM. The OP only has 2 DVRs(4 tuners).
SWM is not being used for every install or upgrade yet.

Didn't come because installer said didn't get the equipment in. Thought I was doing them a favor by calling and scheduling early but still didn't happen when I had a day off.

Didn't come because installer said didn't get the equipment in. Thought I was doing them a favor by calling and scheduling early but still didn't happen when I had a day off.

That sucks.

You made the appointment 5 days in advance as far as I can tell. They should have had plenty of time to order and receive the equipment they needed for your specific install.

When they call to say the equipment came in say - OK, I'll call you back when I feel like taking a day off work. Don't them back for a week or 2.

Never be rude to your installer, its not his fault his WAREHOUSE doesnt have the equipment he needs to do his job. Hes losing money by not performing your upgrade.
My last run with the local HSP I arrived at a customer's address after dark. They had been home all day and I had been in touch with them twice with ETAs so they could go about their day. When I went to the truck to bring in the SD recorder they had ordered, I had signed out and loaded in the truck....no SD recorder. I searched the truck but knew where I had stowed the box and it was gone!

After I had loaded the truck an office wonk had taken all recorders out of all trucks without telling anybody. They had to be physically returned to the MASTEC office for inventory. He thought he was doing a good job.

So, it happens!

Joe

Never be rude to your installer, its not his fault his WAREHOUSE doesnt have the equipment he needs to do his job. Hes losing money by not performing your upgrade.

It's not THE CUSTOMER'S fault either. The customer arranged for an install on a certain day. The customer should be able to re-schedule for when THEY feel like taking a day off work to do it.

The sad story about how Hes losing money doesn't really fly since the installers are supposedly so busy all the time because DIRECTV supposedly always overbooks them.

It's not THE CUSTOMER'S fault either. The customer arranged for an install on a certain day. The customer should be able to re-schedule for when THEY feel like taking a day off work to do it.

The sad story about how Hes losing money doesn't really fly since the installers are supposedly so busy all the time because DIRECTV supposedly always overbooks them.

Actually,

The installer is given more work than can be done in a day..most days. The plan may be to have spare jobs to do if one or more appointments becomes impossible for any reason. But what actually happens is an opera in five acts where the tech calls the dispatch office while trying to find someone else who is available & at home within driving distance.

The other opera act has to do with installations that take different times to complete. If the tech encounter a NLOS (no line of sight) he is a few hours ahead...but there is nobody home for that few hours...then three customers expect a tech (same guy) to do twelve hours of work at different locations in four hours.

It goes like that some days.

Joe

Last edited:
He came on the reschedule day...

The first installer was very nice on the phone and like I said, I believed him about no equipment. Seemed to be making an effort. Second guy called, having trouble with GPS/address so I guided him in. Was about hour and half late but I'm okay with that. We started about 6:30 PM.

I helped him by setting up receiver while he unpacked truck and got ready. Receiver is a HR22/100. He seemed to appreciate that because he didn't have to touch anything inside and cable I had ran worked fine.

Brick house so took down old dish, put new right on brick with support arms. (I will have to clean up brick later) He used my tools, drill bit, drill, hammer, etc which was a little weird but I was just trying to get him done since it was dark and cold. He had a Directv van but no good tools. Held light for him and passed tools back and forth to him.

He lined it up with meter, then came inside and got a error on one satellite. Said something about being below 90% signal on some birds and went outside and called his boss. I think he did some type of force on the install without getting a better signal because he didn't go back to dish. Hope I don't lose signal after tree leaves grow back in.

Left me his name and install number with two cell phone numbers. Said only back to work a week after accident. Seemed like he had a rough day and a rough job the installers have. Hope I made it easier for him. Left about 9 PM.

Thanks for your comments, I just wanted to tell the rest of the story.

He came on the reschedule day...

The first installer was very nice on the phone and like I said, I believed him about no equipment. Seemed to be making an effort. Second guy called, having trouble with GPS/address so I guided him in. Was about hour and half late but I'm okay with that. We started about 6:30 PM.

I helped him by setting up receiver while he unpacked truck and got ready. Receiver is a HR22/100. He seemed to appreciate that because he didn't have to touch anything inside and cable I had ran worked fine.

Brick house so took down old dish, put new right on brick with support arms. (I will have to clean up brick later) He used my tools, drill bit, drill, hammer, etc which was a little weird but I was just trying to get him done since it was dark and cold. He had a Directv van but no good tools. Held light for him and passed tools back and forth to him.

He lined it up with meter, then came inside and got a error on one satellite. Said something about being below 90% signal on some birds and went outside and called his boss. I think he did some type of force on the install without getting a better signal because he didn't go back to dish. Hope I don't lose signal after tree leaves grow back in.

Left me his name and install number with two cell phone numbers. Said only back to work a week after accident. Seemed like he had a rough day and a rough job the installers have. Hope I made it easier for him. Left about 9 PM.

Thanks for your comments, I just wanted to tell the rest of the story.

If your SS is above 80 for the most part, you should be fine.
90 is preferable, but you won't get all of them above that.
Don't panic on the few that are zero or real low either, they are serving areas that you are on the outskirts of.

Glad you got it done.....

Now ENJOY !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts