New Dish install - some install questions (Satellite Dish and Hopper)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sinnfein07

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
New York City
I have moved to a new home (NYC area) and am trying to avoid Comcast if possible! I've done some homework here (great forum) but do have some questions/clarifications to request help with.

I have 5 TVs that I will be connecting.

The home has what looks to be an 'old' Dish satellite on the roof (a Dish 500). There are 3 wires running from that Dish to a distribution box that has RG-6 home runs directly to each outlet in the house.

From what I've read, it feels like it should be a pretty straight-forward installation.

My questions:
1 - I'm assuming they will have to replace the old Dish with a new one. A 1000.something- Is that correct?

2 - (5) TVs seems to be a problem for the dish.com site to price for me. It sounds like I will need (2) Hoppers and (3) Joeys in my setup. Is that OK? Will they support this? The site allows for free equipment for 4 TVs but burps when I try to add another.

3 - Does this setup drive any special wiring considerations? I had Dish many years ago and there were a few outlets I had to run (2) RG-6 wires to for DVRs. Is that now a thing of the past?

Thanks!

1. I'm not sure which dish you would get, but it would need to be replaced with an Eastern Arc dish. It does point in a different direction and may need to be installed at a different location if you have a line of sight problem.

2. The dish.com site is not a good place to get this info, on an initial install for four rooms would include the 1st Hopper and the 3 Joeys, you would need to pay an addition fee for the 2nd Hopper. I would try an online chat or PM to a DIRT member on this site for your answer.

3. Wiring for the H/J would be 3 lines from the dish to the dual node, 1 coax run from node to each H (2 lines in your setup) and 1 cascaded line from node to all your J.

Thank you very much for the suggestion!

I used the "Chat" button on the website (which I typically avoid like the plague) and was very surprised with an outstanding agent who gave me all of the pricing info that the website wouldn't.

They do a pretty good job of offering discounts for new customers apparently -

For my (5) HDTV setup, they offered (2) Hoppers w/ Sling + 3 Joeys for a total of $99. And they scheduled the installation for later this week which was surprisingly quick vs. my expectations.

I'm hopeful that things go smoothly on the installation. I'm actually hopeful that I can connect one of the Joey systems via Cat-5 (it will be located right next to a network switch) instead of Coax as I now realize that Coax line has my cable modem attached to it. That would help avoid running another cable run to that TV.

One thing I hope you're aware of - Dish does not carry NY regional sports networks. If that's important to you, you should cancel the installation.

One thing I hope you're aware of - Dish does not carry NY regional sports networks. If that's important to you, you should cancel the installation.

Aw CRUD. No YES network... I can't believe that I didn't notice that. I need to think about this - I do watch a number of Yankees games, so what I'll be poking at is if any of the games will also be carried on a local network (I think Fox does some of the weekend games?).

I'm hopeful that things go smoothly on the installation. I'm actually hopeful that I can connect one of the Joey systems via Cat-5 (it will be located right next to a network switch) instead of Coax as I now realize that Coax line has my cable modem attached to it. That would help avoid running another cable run to that TV.

On this note, Joeys do work over CAT5, but it is not a supported way to connect them. They do need to be connected via coax/MoCA to activate them, and Dish will only hook them up via coax.

So I had my install today. A fantastic guy did the install, including climbing up on my roof during a snowstorm.

A few observations:

1) it was a 2H/3J install. Unfortunately they only gave me one hopper with Sling - the second was a 'regular' hopper. I did pay extra for the second hopper and am disappointed only one of them is the latest model.

2) After the installer left I noticed that the dish is only showing a connection to the 61.5 and 72 satellites. Nothing on 77 (or even acknowledging that 77 exists). Is this normal or an indication of an issue either with the dish aiming or possibly the node switch/wiring? Am I missing out here? (I'm in the NYC area)

Thanks - I always appreciate the insight of the community here.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Luckily there isn't a major advantage to having two Hoppers with Sling. Really only need on with Sling but I can see why you would like to just for the fact they are newer.

So I had my install today. A fantastic guy did the install, including climbing up on my roof during a snowstorm.

A few observations:

1) it was a 2H/3J install. Unfortunately they only gave me one hopper with Sling - the second was a 'regular' hopper. I did pay extra for the second hopper and am disappointed only one of them is the latest model.

2) After the installer left I noticed that the dish is only showing a connection to the 61.5 and 72 satellites. Nothing on 77 (or even acknowledging that 77 exists). Is this normal or an indication of an issue either with the dish aiming or possibly the node switch/wiring? Am I missing out here? (I'm in the NYC area)

Thanks - I always appreciate the insight of the community here.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Unless you want to sub to international programming, you're not missing a thing. There are dish configurations that have just the two satellites that you are receiving.

You can see what is on 77 here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dn77&sub=true

Luckily there isn't a major advantage to having two Hoppers with Sling. Really only need on with Sling but I can see why you would like to just for the fact they are newer.

If I'd paid for two HWS, I'd expect two HWS. Besides, maybe he wants to use the iPad with both Hoppers, or wants them both to operate at the same speed. Or perhaps like me, he wants future proofing in case Dish releases future capabilities that require the extra HP and RAM.

If I ever make the move I'll insist on two HWS and will eyeball both before work starts.

OK but that's what you tell a new customer. You don't have them thinking they are getting something their not. That's bad business. Plus the guy paid for a second Hopper with Sling.

we don't know that he actually paid for two Hopper with Slings. If you look at his previous post, he claimed to get his information from online chat which is the worst source of information for Dish products.

The OP should message DIRT and maybe they can investigate what happened to see what he signed up for and how he was charged. Depending on what happened, they might be able to fix things.

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

Last edited:
All, thanks so much for the feedback. This really is a vibrant community.

I was able scope the dish out and it does only have two "eyes" on the front of the dish. I was able to see some images online with google to get an idea of the different types of dishes and it does look like they chose to install one that can't "see" 77w. From the comments and links here that doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I'll obviously feel differently if at some point there is programming I should have access to that I can't see.

On the Hoppers, I was definitely told I would be getting two Hoppers with Sling but the installer insisted that wasn't the case. He was a great guy and I wasn't going to shut the whole operation down - especially after he drove 45 minutes in a snowstorm to crawl around on my roof!

I will call Dish tomorrow to see what my options are - I did make very clear during my order that it was the Hopper+Sling feature that drove me to Dish from Comcast - and that I was paying for two of them. Arming my kids with programming on our iPads was feature #1 for us, and I don't like the idea of not being able to do it seamlessly depending on which tuner a particular show was programmed on.

This is a small problem to start with, and I'm confident I can get it resolved. My whole family is impressed with how well things are busily programming our ex-TiVo seasons passes into the Hoppers.

My next task is to start playing with the Dish Everywhere features.

Hope you get the sling loaded hopper as promised, glad everything else worked out to your satisfaction.:)

Yes, I agree. But you may need DIRT help to make it happen. Don't let it slide, act quickly.

we don't know that he actually paid for two Hopper with Slings. If you look at his previous post, he claimed to get his information from online chat which is the worst source of information for Dish products.

The OP should message DIRT and maybe they can investigate what happened to see what he signed up for and how he was charged. Depending on what happened, they might be able to fix things.

On the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see the usernames in red with @DISH Network at the end. Those are official reps from Dish that are active on the forum right now. Just send them a private message with your account or phone number.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php (scroll down to the bottom)

I read his first post and that's exactly what he ordered. So yea I knew he ordered two Hoppers with sling. His new post backs that up. Look just because I post what I did doesn't mean I'm anti Dish. I know some people take it that way. I don't know if you did or not. Your right though he should PM a DIRT member. Those guys rock!

I read his first post and that's exactly what he ordered. So yea I knew he ordered two Hoppers with sling. His new post backs that up. Look just because I post what I did doesn't mean I'm anti Dish. I know some people take it that way.
i think you misunderstand....

anyone who uses online chat to contact Dish is rolling the dice on whatever information they got whether accurate or not.

If DIRT had told him that he signed up for two HWS, then i'd believe it. If online chat did, then it's a crap shoot. Online chat will pretty much tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to sign up for Dish (even if it's wrong info).

i think you misunderstand....

anyone who uses online chat to contact Dish is rolling the dice on whatever information they got whether accurate or not.

If DIRT had told him that he signed up for two HWS, then i'd believe it. If online chat did, then it's a crap shoot. Online chat will pretty much tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to sign up for Dish (even if it's wrong info).

Gotcha!! Sorry about that man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)