New Dish Installation Questions

rolodoc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
I signed up 2 days ago with Claude of Dishstore (great experience) for new customer Dish service to be installed on Superbowl Sunday :)

I have 3 HDTVs and 1 SDTV, with order for a 722 and a 222. I think the 222 will hook up to HDTV3 and SDTV4. For HDTV1 and HDTV2 they are in adjacent rooms about 40 feet apart. I read that people are using HDMI for HDTV1 and component cable for HDTV2, so both can get HD signal. I am aware both TV will be watching the same channel by sharing the same tuner output and that is fine. My questions are:

1. Will the above setup will work with the 722 connected to both HDTV1-2, and 222 for HDTV3 and SDTV4?
2. Will the installer have HDMI cables supplied for 722 and 222 to connect HDTV1 and HDTV3?
3. Will the installer supply a 40 feet component cable run for HDTV2 since the ads say connect up to 4 rooms, or do I need to purchase the 40 feet component cable?
4. I like the price on monoprice for component cables, $20 for 50ft of RG-59 or $50 for 50ft of premium RG-6. Is there a need for the higher price RG-6 since it is a longer 50ft cable carrying sat HD signal, or will RG-59 be fine?
5. What are the general tips for first time installation? (things to tell the installer or make sure that gets done)

Thanks.

1. Yep!
2. Don't count on it, but you may get lucky! I buy my own and sell 'em to a customer for cheaper than they can get anywhere in town (including Wal-Mart), but I don't give them away. If Dish doesn't provide, it's not part of my free standard install.
3. IF the installer has a Dish-provided cable, it will be 6 feet long. You'll have to provide your own component cable that long.
4. I'd go with the RG-6 myself, but that is completely up to you. RG-59 will work, but if you're having doubts just throw down for the RG-6. :) Monoprice is definitely they place to go.
5. I walk through the install step-by-step with a customer after I've looked at things and decided what to do, but before I start any work. I'd just suggest that you know exactly how your installer is going to run everything and where the dish(es) will go. Make sure they ground the dish(es) and cables. There's probably more to add, but I'm not quite awake yet. :D

On monoprice.com the cost of 50ft HDMI is also around $50, the same as 50ft RG-6 component cable. Which is better for preserving signal quality? I guess one HDMI advantage is that it contains video and audio, so the one cable is thinner than running 5 component video and audio cables.

If I go with HDMI, does it have to be 1.3a certified? (double the cost of regular HDMI)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)