New Dish installer needs help!!

wadethecableguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
I have been installing for almost 15 years now, starting with Primestar and then Direct. I just recently started doing Dish ( last week) I have a couple questions (couple hundred) and was wondering if anyone could help.

1 What about flat wires? Do they cause issues with signal? I've heard yes and no.

2 I have a BirdDog signal meter. Works great for Direct but not so well for Dish. I get intermittent readings, LNB shorts and all kinds of crazy readings. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I've got plenty more questions, but I'll just start with these.
Thanks

I only use the flat cables in apartments and only when necessary. I just read a post earlier where people swear that if you use it in a window or door that is never opened, they can last for awhile. I don't like to use them but some times they are necessary, I guess.

I can't help you with the Bird Dog. I don't make that kind of money. :p

Im not an installer, but I had an el cheapo style flat cable in 2004 at my apartment(added a 2nd dish receiver upstairs) that had to come in the window. Had it a year with no problems.

The one a E* installer used this go around(moved to SC) looks much more heavy duty. I feel if they are in a static enviorment you are prob good to go. I see some guys here in the apartments run them in thru front doors and sliding doors and they get smashed pretty bad.

I actually loosened the glass on the stationary side of my sliding rear door and had him put it thru there. I am gonna order a couple of spares just in case so I dont have to call someone out for something so minor.

The flat cable I have is like this, pretty well built

Dish Depot

Flat cable, as stated with not a daily used window/door be ok.

You probably tried using your birdog with a dp plus twin, they can't handle plus twins, use a dish pro twin/quad.

I'd go through over the weekend with a couple of beers and just go through all the dish threads glancing over things, with that you'll make yourself at home pretty easy provided the experience you say.

1 What about flat wires? Do they cause issues with signal? I've heard yes and no.

2 I have a BirdDog signal meter. Works great for Direct but not so well for Dish. I get intermittent readings, LNB shorts and all kinds of crazy readings. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

1. Yes, they also cause fires in some cases. Flat wire is not designed to work with dish pro or dish pro plus installations. I have personally seen it where a DPP reciver run over flat wire heated up and started sparking. For legacy installs it shoudl be ok.

2. I personally use a dual satbuddy. I havent tryed bird dog yet, but am thinking about it.

2 You probaly have an older birdog, the newer ones work fine with DishPro and Dish Pro Plus. Carry you around an older legacy LNBF and put it in to use your birdog to lock onto the sat and then put the new LNBF in place and your set.

1. Yes, they also cause fires in some cases. Flat wire is not designed to work with dish pro or dish pro plus installations. I have personally seen it where a DPP reciver run over flat wire heated up and started sparking. For legacy installs it shoudl be ok.

QUOTE]

This is not entirely correct. Some of the flat cables state "High Frequency (2.3 GHz) for DP Receivers. ".

There are new DP aproved flat cables. They cost alot more than the standard cheap ones.

You must have an older Birdog. I use mine all the time with DPP twins. THe thing is with DPP is that you can't switch between the sats to check signals. Use the 1st port on the left of the LNB and check 119.

I won't use a flat cable unless I absolutely have to. I have had three of them in a row burn up on me in a matter of minutes on one install. Every time I closed the window the POS would stop working.

As for the BirdDog, dont get me started. I personally can't stand them. I see those types of meters as nothing more than a crutch. I use a Channel Master meter on a daily basis and also have an Accutrac. Level your mast/pole, set your skew/elevation properly based on ZIP, find a point of reference with your compass, and you can't go wrong. I do 500+/1000+ installs on a regular basis without a birddog and have twice hit the wrong bird, both times fixed it in a matter of minutes.

As for the BirdDog, dont get me started. I personally can't stand them. I see those types of meters as nothing more than a crutch. I use a Channel Master meter on a daily basis and also have an Accutrac. Level your mast/pole, set your skew/elevation properly based on ZIP, find a point of reference with your compass, and you can't go wrong. I do 500+/1000+ installs on a regular basis without a birddog and have twice hit the wrong bird, both times fixed it in a matter of minutes.

So basically you are saying that you like to waste time. :D

Really a Channel Master is all you need. For that matter all you need is one of those $9.00 meters you see on Ebay. It's all a matter of time. The Birdog makes my installations and service calls go faster. I don't have to guess, I know I have the right bird.

I don't have to guess, I know I have the right bird.

I use a dual channel master, and a digisat...
I don't guess either, I can look at my elevation and know that I am on the right bird.... :) experience is the best tool in my opinion.

PS: I just hired a couple guys a few weeks ago that used to install Directv and they had a Birddog meter.... probably the WORST installers I have ever had

I've used channel master's for 6 years without a hitch, also used a digisat and loved it, and when I didnt have a meter I used a sunnto range finder with compas to tune in 61.5's wich made for a bit of an ego.

I am sure there are the rare instances when a BirdDog may come in handy, but for the most part I can't stand them. I was training a tech who was coming from DirecTV and had his own birddog. After about 30 seconds I got fed up with his meter and made him get my channel master from the truck lol. I don't see how a meter can go from 100% to 0% with half a degree of adjustment.

As for aiming without a meter...I've done it once and doubt if I could ever do it again. My meter was dead, I was already on the roof, I found a point of reference and crossed my fingers. When I went inside I was just over 100 on the 119 and just under 100 on the 110. I havent tried again since, luckily I haven't needed to.

Birddogs are good meters for the price. 2.5+ versions work with DP and DPP equipment even the 1000.2 LNBF. If you use port 1 of the LNBF that is considered 119. To view 110 sat move over to that on your birdog and push and hold the on button for a few seconds and push down arrow key to LNB B and hit the right arrow key and it will read 110 sat... to view readins for 129 on a 1000.2 lnbf you do same thing as above but put it on Lnb C and now you are reading 129. Great meters after you figure out how to work them with all the new equipment coming out. LNB short means a few things lnb can be bad, or theres a short somewhere in that line of cable, could be a Barrel connector could be a piece of braiding around the copper wire.... Hope this helps..

I use a dual channel master, and a digisat...
I don't guess either, I can look at my elevation and know that I am on the right bird.... :) experience is the best tool in my opinion.

PS: I just hired a couple guys a few weeks ago that used to install Directv and they had a Birddog meter.... probably the WORST installers I have ever had

a good meter does not make a good installer. any slouch can buy good tools - using them properly, now that's another matter.

channel master needs to make meter thats water proof.

I siliconed a small piece of plexi over my analog needles - it's worked perfectly since. Now if I could just find a replacement battery or make one myself.

I have been installing for almost 15 years now, starting with Primestar and then Direct. I just recently started doing Dish ( last week) I have a couple questions (couple hundred) and was wondering if anyone could help.

Thanks
There are an updated version of flat cable that is a much better piece than the older stuff..These meet Dish Specs...As for the meter, I use a channel master meter and it works just fine..A Birdog is out of my budget range..IMO they don't offer anything that is worth the $400+ ....

Really a Channel Master is all you need. For that matter all you need is one of those $9.00 meters you see on Ebay. It's all a matter of time. The Birdog makes my installations and service calls go faster. I don't have to guess, I know I have the right bird.
I use CM meters.....I have NEVER hit the wrong bird...Ever....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts