New Dish Network Privacy Policy

They changed their policy, which you agreed they could do at anytime they wish, and gave you advance notice and the opportunity to opt-out.

They could have changed it without notifying people and opted everyone "in" by default. By the time people found out about it, your name is already sold to "x" number of marketers. Even if you then opt-out, it's too late. Granted, Dish won't sell your name anymore, but the others have your name and are selling it, to which you have very little control (mainly, you don't know who they are).

Welcome to "let's bitch about Dish 'cause we got nothing better to do".

By law, consumers can opt out of any info sharing by any company they do business with. That is why we all get that crap in the mail from our banks, and credit card companies, and insurance agencies, etc. notifying us of the changes, and the procedure for opting out.

Please don't attempt to make Dish sound like angels because they do it. They are no better or worse in this regard than any comapny that does this. They all suck the big steaming moose johnson. People need to stop apologizing for or defending this sort of behavior. It is wrong, regardless of whether or not it is legal.

I guarantee that if there was a National Do Not Sell My Info Registry, just like the one for telemarketers, just as many people would sign up. It's the same invasion of privacy.

By the way some of these guys stick up for these privacy issues, I get the feeling they work for the telemarketing and junk mail folks, why else would they defend them. I'm sure they are totally for the Patriot Act too! :smug

What Dish is doing is no different then really any other company is doing. I don't fault Dish at all in this.

I know not many people read those privacy policies so I wanted to make it known so people would know they need to opt out to avoid their information from getting sold to other marketing companies.

I am sure if I didn't post it I am sure a fe wmonths from now someone would find out and start a big thread on how evil Dish is for selling your information.

An educated consumer is a happier consumer. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
What Dish is doing is no different then really any other company is doing. I don't fault Dish at all in this.
Just because they all do it, doesn't make it rght. I would have thought that you'd be beyond the old teenage chestnut, "But everyone is doing it, mom. Shoplifting/doing drugs/hacking corporate sevrers/etc is no big deal." It's a lame excuse for a teenager, and it's a lame excuse for a corporation.

GaryPen said:
Just because they all do it, doesn't make it rght. I would have thought that you'd be beyond the old teenage chestnut, "But everyone is doing it, mom. Shoplifting/doing drugs/hacking corporate sevrers/etc is no big deal." It's a lame excuse for a teenager, and it's a lame excuse for a corporation.
BOO-HOO, BOO-HOO

Well what irritates me is the smooth way they put in that they can share you non-identifiable info. Such as viewing habits. In other words you are made a NIELSON family and not told or compensated for it. Not only are you not compensated but they mostlikely are. And that is what pisses me off. The other crap is a given with the privacey act PERIOD. Sorry for my first post being pissy but that is just me .02

crappieguy, is that a general sense of mind :) or a statement of motorsports preference?

Welcome to satguys.

And NOW we know why they want the boxes hooked to the phone line, eh?

Just like a bunch of us thought back when it first became "required".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)