New DISH Player-DVR 625 Makes Hit Movies Available to Satellite TV Customers

The VoD will be slightly different, but I'll still never buy one since I use HD and they'd look like crap, and I won't be getting any of their HD PPV either ;)

The VOD will be set up like a DVD, it will have play, and scene selections with graphics for each chapter, and maybe bonus features, but I dunno about that one...

Yea $4.99 is crazy.

Cable charges the same for VOD or PPV

What is the advantage of going with dish's version of VOD when Cable's version is cheaper and has more to chose from?

My installation for Dish is for April 18th. I was originally scheduled to get a 942/522. I made a phone call and was able to change to a 942/625. I figured I would get the latest.

There was a charge for 19.95 or they would waive that if I signed up for 24 months. I was able to have them waive that fee without signing up for the 24 months.

Just dependes who you deal with. It took me four calls to get the "right" CSR that would do it.

I wonder what happens while the 625 "downloads" the PPV movies. Does it tie up one of the tuners or is there a third tuner used only for capturing the VOD movies?

gpflepsen said:
I find it insulting to see that E* will price these VOD choices at $4.99. A PPV is $3.99, and there is no difference between watching a VOD or a PPV which you can easily set a timer for.
You're paying the extra $1 for the "convenience" of having it "on demand".... :D

maximum said:
I wonder what happens while the 625 "downloads" the PPV movies. Does it tie up one of the tuners or is there a third tuner used only for capturing the VOD movies?
I'd guess it downloads them when a tuner is "idle", overnight being the ideal time for most people as both tuners are likely not being used.

hall said:
I'd guess it downloads them when a tuner is "idle", overnight being the ideal time for most people as both tuners are likely not being used.
Most likely they will conserve bandwidth - by running a bunch of different movies back-to-back on a single channel, over several days the box could build up a lot of material by downloading while idle.

does the 625 really have a bigger than 120gb hard drive in it?
on dish's site it says the 625 has 120gb hard drive

"DISH Player-DVR 625 is an advanced dual tuner, two TV output satellite receiver and integrated digital video recorder (DVR). DISH Player-DVR 625's dual tuners and two TV outputs provide the unique ability to record two shows simultaneously as well as allow for independent viewing of live satellite TV programming and recorded events when connected to two televisions.

FEATURES:

Name Based Recording: Pick any show and the DVR will find all
new episodes and record them regardless of any changes in program
length or broadcast schedule!
Click Here for more information.>

Dual satellite tuners that provide several multi-room viewing options
Picture-In-Picture (PIP)
Includes DISH Network DVR Service that allows you to pause live TV, play,
stop, fast forward, fast reverse, skip forward... more >
120 gigabyte hard drive
Up to 100 hours* of 100% digital video recording
Records Dolby® Digital™ when available.
Up to 9-day extended Electronic Programming Guide "

Does it have a 120 or a 250?

Jon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts