New DISH Player-DVR 625 Makes Hit Movies Available to Satellite TV Customers

I wonder how well this new VOD feature will go over when people watch it and have all of the audio and video problems inherent with the 522. If they managed to fix those problems with a new receiver I would upgrade to the 625 for that reason alone.

I know that if it were a PPV that I would want it to stay on their space on the hard drive, not my space, unless I would want to watch it later, but I read that they disappear automatically after a day or something, unless I misread something, so that would be a good reason to want to move it to your own storage space of the hard drive.

Don't you imagine that this new receiver will have a butt load of bugs in it just like every other new receiver Dish has ever made? What happens when you buy one of these pay per view movies the hard drive has and the hard drive crashes in the middle of the movie? Can you imagine the customer complaints when Dish starts saying : "I am sorry we can't be sure the hard drive failed in the middle of the movie or not so we can't refund your money." I see a whole bunch of potential problems with this receiver that will just cause more customer dissatisfaction with Dish. :eek:

BFG said:
LOL!!! totally off topic, but this is the thread I noticed gpflepsen's new avatar? So have you grown accustomed to scott's face?

I don't think it's scott's face. Maybe scott after Extreme Makover. :D

One must always stay a changin'. It's good for the blood.

Sounds like something the hackers will be trying to get into as well. This would be a good reason for Dish to state that people are not allowed to get to the hard drive.

David_Levin said:
It would be nice if they allow a user to "turn-off" the VOD and get the entire drive back for user storage (I can pick my own movies to record).

No...E* will tell you which movies to watch. Resistance is futile....

For what its worth it appears at first VOD will be the "Best of Dish" and not actual movies. Basically Dish will be programming your DVR for shows they think are interesting. Also they said they would be selling advertising including longer length commercials as well.

This sounds like Tivo suggestions . Except you can't train it to watch what you want it to by your old thumbs up /down features. So Scott do you have to pay for this when you use it or do you only pay for the pay per view stuff and the rest is free? I am not getting the whole picture here.

MikeD-C05 said:
This sounds like Tivo suggestions . Except you can't train it to watch what you want it to by your old thumbs up /down features. So Scott do you have to pay for this when you use it or do you only pay for the pay per view stuff and the rest is free? I am not getting the whole picture here.
Knowing Charlie's GREED, you're going to have to pay PER VIEW to watch the extended commercials. :mad:

I dont want the "Best of Dish" on a DVR that I may have a lot of shows programmed on it. It would not be as bad if everything else had a higher priority and it was the first shows to get erased if the hard drive were to get full. It would also be nice if we could tell it which channels we wanted and didnt want those shows to come from and how many hours towards "Best of Dish". I am sure Dish Network is going to make money off of this by also selling certain channels the rights to being "Best of Dish" since their ads would be more likely to be seen. Seems like an interesting twist to getting more advertisting to people from certain advertisers using the DVR whereas we used to see it as a less of a chance to see the advertisements.

Stargazer said:
I am sure Dish Network is going to make money off of this by also selling certain channels the rights to being "Best of Dish" since their ads would be more likely to be seen.
Can you say, "Enzyte-TV?" After all, it is a "hard" drive...

Unfortunately, it takes up "a rather large" portion of the available space...

...but someone's partner is rather happy back at the Uplink center...

Dish's "VOD" is not true VOD, they just keep downloading new movies onto your hard drive, you don't actually watch them interactive like you do with Comcast. That's why they have a humongo hard drive, partitioned for the normal DVR stuff and the "VOD".

Is it me or is this 625 the answer to the question no one asked? I can watch any hit movie I want anytime with my DVD player too. I just don't get this 625. It seems to me my 510 can do everything it can. Of course I have to tell it what to record but who cares?

I wish Dish would come out with a better more affordable HD-DVR that EXISTING customers can get instead. Two tuners and that includes OTA please. How about leasing it to me for $12.95 a month with no other stupid fees piled on top of it. No extra $5 for their VOD "service", no extra $5 for not having it plugged into a phone line. My cable company can do it, why can't Dish?

I want one of these as I watch lots of PPV, the press release at CES as it would be out in March.

Anyone hear anything? Is it being beta tested yet?

Can you get one of these and a 942 on the Digital home lease plan?

I've already got one, only difference is mine says "522" on the front and it doesn't download a bunch of crap I didn't want to watch.

(sarcastic, not rude)

I find it insulting to see that E* will price these VOD choices at $4.99. A PPV is $3.99, and there is no difference between watching a VOD or a PPV which you can easily set a timer for.

At these prices, I'll just pick up a DVD for 3 or 4 days when I happen to be by the video or grocery store.