New Dish Tactic (long)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
MikeD-C05 said:
Maybe they will limit those without land lines to only one receiver on their account. This way they can't stack their accounts. They wouldn't need a phone line for only one receiver.

Canada's Bell ExpressVu already does this, limiting residents of the southern 48 provinces to one receiver.

--- WCS

It seems like I remember that a couple of years ago we had disconnected our phone line to our reciever due to some remodeling and we didn't re-connect for several months. We don't buy very many PPV movies. One day I came home from work and turned on the TV and there was a message up that said I need to connect my phone line and that it should stay connected. I pressed the "select" button on the remote that corresponded with the Okay button on the screen and the large screen went away and the picture came on. I reconnected the phone line within a week. I just assumed that Dish routinely patrolled receivers or had software that caused the reciever to call in to corporate in order to verify its existence. I don't see why they can't just send instructions, much like the upgrades, for the receiver to call in and report itslef. If it doesn't do so within a certain time, then it is automatically turned off. I guess that would make a lot of people mad, but if they gave enough warning so that they could have time to connect phone lines, it should accomplish their goal of reducing sharing. Particularly if I knew there would be random receiver checks.

Stacy

If they're really trying to enforce that all the mirrored receivers are in one location then they have to have them connected all the time. What good would it do for them to tell you that you have to do it in X number of days, all you'd have to do is move it for a couple of days, then move it back to the other location.

Stacy A said:
It seems like I remember that a couple of years ago we had disconnected our phone line to our reciever due to some remodeling and we didn't re-connect for several months. We don't buy very many PPV movies. One day I came home from work and turned on the TV and there was a message up that said I need to connect my phone line and that it should stay connected.

It'll do that if you have PPV charges stored in the receiver when it powers up, and it doesn't find a phone line. The receiver takes the phone line off hook and listens for dial tone upon power-up (you can hear the relay click).

BarryO said:
Stacy A said:
It seems like I remember that a couple of years ago we had disconnected our phone line to our reciever due to some remodeling and we didn't re-connect for several months. We don't buy very many PPV movies. One day I came home from work and turned on the TV and there was a message up that said I need to connect my phone line and that it should stay connected.

It'll do that if you have PPV charges stored in the receiver when it powers up, and it doesn't find a phone line. The receiver takes the phone line off hook and listens for dial tone upon power-up (you can hear the relay click).

I have fees on my 508 from PPV right now and haven't hooked a phone line to it in a while. It hasn't asked on bootup either. I'm not going to hook up my line to just pay the fee. Next time I need to, I will.

I currently have two receivers - a 3900 and a 2800. The 2800 is the secondary box on the account but both are connected to a phone line all the time. The 2800 still has PPV events on it from September while the 3900 is up to date. How often do they poll each receiver? With 8 million customers, the majority of whom have more than one receiver, it can't be very often.

BarryO,

I hear that stupid little relay click all the time on my 6000. Usually it's either very early in the morning or late at night, but it is a very distinct sound. However, I never hear it on the older unit (model number unknown) in our bedroom. Don't know about the third one in playroom.

Stacy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts