New Dish/VIP722 subscriber here - Question about buffers.

Jenny_Piccolo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
After lurking in these forums for a few months, I finally suscribed to Dish. I ordered through Dishstore.net, so I hope I helped support the forum.

I signed up for the $41/mo DishHD pack w/locals and leased a VIP722. I also have good OTA reception, so I've hooked that up.

I was an analog cable/Tivo dual tuner user, but canceled that 6 months ago when I got an HD TV and was just going OTA (No DVR...ouch, that was a painful 6 months).

So far, I love the Dish HD service. Dish HD locals aren't as clear as OTA HD but acceptable. However, the Dish SD locals are much worse quality than OTA SD digital. Overall, for $35/mo, it's really a great deal especially if you don't have digital locals OTA. I'm glad I waited until the new DishHD promotion because it's exactly what I wanted.

I mainly went with Dish over DirecTV because I could use the OTA as a 3rd tuner and because of the dual mode capability. I have 1 HDTV and 3 analog TVs, so this is perfect. Better than 2 DVRs!

I like the VIP722, but it takes some adjusting. It definitely isn't as intuitive as and is more clunky than my Tivo was, but it can do some really remarkable things, especially in dual mode.

The thing that frustrates me the most (so far) is that you can't record the buffer; so I can only record from "live" to the end? Also, if I pause something live and watch a recorded program for, say 5-10 mintues, when I return to live I lose the buffer? Am I doing something wrong?

Overally, I'm very pleased thus far and want to thank all the posters here for all the great info.

Now I need to find an Archos 605.

If you want to record more you have to rewind to the point you want to record from instead of from live. The buffer does reset itself when recording so you have not missed anything on how the unit works. The only way you don't lose the buffer is in single user mode, you open the pip window switch to other tuner, watch your recording then switch back to first tuner and rewind to the point you want. Buffer is only one hour, so you have to keep that in mind. It is something you just have to get used to.

Ok, so it won't work in dual mode?

1 hour buffer is quite generous since I'm coming from a DT tivo, which had 30 min buffers.

Thanks!

The ViP722 (essentially a Vip622 with more hard drive space) beat any other HD DVR on the market according to CNET.com.

If you want to record more you have to rewind to the point you want to record from instead of from live. The buffer does reset itself when recording so you have not missed anything on how the unit works. The only way you don't lose the buffer is in single user mode, you open the pip window switch to other tuner, watch your recording then switch back to first tuner and rewind to the point you want. Buffer is only one hour, so you have to keep that in mind. It is something you just have to get used to.
Sometimes, if you press Record and then go into the options, it will give an option to "Record Entire Program" which records everything in the buffer through the end of the program. I believe this only works if the buffer is for the whole program you are watching, but I am not certain. This would allow you to prevent having to rewind to watch it all. (I wouldn't mind if the option were available when the beginning is NOT in the buffer-like if you have 10 minutes of the 15 minutes that has already aired in buffer)

Geoff

Sometimes, if you press Record and then go into the options, it will give an option to "Record Entire Program" which records everything in the buffer through the end of the program. I believe this only works if the buffer is for the whole program you are watching, but I am not certain. This would allow you to prevent having to rewind to watch it all. (I wouldn't mind if the option were available when the beginning is NOT in the buffer-like if you have 10 minutes of the 15 minutes that has already aired in buffer)

Geoff

Just as long as the tuner was tuned to the program when it started, then the option to "Record Entire program is there.

Although I love HD, I really miss the 2 hour buffer of the SD 625.

This is my wife's biggest complaint since our move from TW to Dish. Our SA 8300 had a one touch operation. If she hit Record, it would automatically save everything in the buffer along with the rest of the show. I don't have the specs for the SA 8300 in front of me, but I know she got entire movies that way.

She mainly watches the SD TV that has the 625 hooked to it. Anybody know the buffer size on it off the tops of their head and if it's possible to set the default to be like I described above? My life would be a lot easier if someone can tell me "yes". :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts