New DishHD $29.99 HD Only Package Details

Just reviewed our AT100 package channel list and found only THREE channels that we ever watch.

So this HD Only package w/ locals looks mighty tempting. If we don't lose our 1 penny CineMax deal, we'll probably be HD Only on Feb 1st :)

If nothing else it will help send the message to Dish and the content providers -- HD is NOW.

FWIW this is the first time we've been able to select a programming package that even modestly "fits" our viewing preferences. We're tired of being part of the statistic that supports an industry with way too many channels of poor quality -- picture and/or content. Oh, and not having the regional sports channels is a big plus for the same reason :eek:

Talon Dancer

Can we get just this package without having to tack on other garbage?

Wonder what the final damage would be for a new customer with a 722?

Here's how is compares to my Comcast availablities:

I'd add:

Animal Planet (comcast supposed to be adding 1/24)
Big 10 Network (short term)
HD Net
HD Movies
NHL HD
Science Channel
& Voom Networks

I'd Lose:

CNN
SciFi
USA
MOJO
& Most Important
Comcast SportsNet HD Chicago

Without CNN, USA, FX, and Sci-Fi there are too many major general interest channel missing to make this a viable option for me. Now, if Dish adds at least those four, adds my HD locals (DirecTV has them), and keeps the price right, I'd jump on it.

Without CNN, USA, FX, and Sci-Fi there are too many major general interest channel missing to make this a viable option for me. Now, if Dish adds at least those four, adds my HD locals (DirecTV has them), and keeps the price right, I'd jump on it.

This is where I wonder about the long term viability of this package.

If they add channels as new HD becomes available, they cannot possibly hold this price or anything near it. If they don't, it is a bogus package that nobody is going to want.

If they added SciFi and USA, I'd love to go with this package.

However, I have one HDTV and two SDTVs. If I did this, there'd be nothing to watch on the SDTVs, right, except for SD locals and internationals? The 522 I have won't receive the HD channels.

Even VOOM recognized that every basic package has some essential content. This package needs a NEWS channel (HDNEWS doesn't really count. It's a novelty), the weather channel, and a kids channel in addition to what is currently included in order to be viable.

.....I have one HDTV and two SDTVs. If I did this, there'd be nothing to watch on the SDTVs, right, except for SD locals and internationals? The 522 I have won't receive the HD channels.
If you change your 522 to a 622, you can watch the HD channels in HD on your HDTV and also watch the same channels in SD on your SD TVs.

Even VOOM recognized that every basic package has some essential content. This package needs a NEWS channel (HDNEWS doesn't really count. It's a novelty), the weather channel, and a kids channel in addition to what is currently included in order to be viable.
I'd expect CNN-HD to show up "soon". Don't need a weather channel with weather radar 24/7 on an OTA subchannel. Disney DVDs for the kids.

I'm interested... but I have questions...

1) If I pick up premium channels with this package, will they be HD-only also, or include the various SD channels associated with each premium? Price?

2) Will RSN's be made available with this package? I'd like to get BTN... Price?

3) How about some concrete announcement on what new HD channels will be added and when...? If I'm going to get this package sometime in 2008, it'd be nice to know what I'll be paying for...

Switching from AEP to this package would save me a ton of $$ over the course of a year. It's an excellent idea, just wondering if the timing is right. E* needs more HD channels for this to work, IMHO.

So let's see the REAL cost of this would be:

DISH HD Only with Locals: $34.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICE FEE $5.98
LEASED RECEIVER FEE $6.00
PROGRAMMING ACCESS FEE $5.00

So that would make it $51.97.

I guess that isn't too bad, but a far cry from the "advertised" price.

Or are they doing away with the "Programming access fee"?

Isn't the programming access fee just if you don't have a phone line or internet connected to your receiver?

Fair point. But I assumed (With nothing concrete yet of course) there would be no access fee. In addition no leased fee if you own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts