New DishHD $29.99 HD Only Package Details

When BTN went live on Dish back in September, they told us that it was just a free preview until Feb. If you want it after then you will have to subscribe to the sports package.

My guess is that if E* adds any additional HD channels prior to the new birds becoming active, that those HD channels will automatically be added to this HD-Only package.

I think that E* will only offer this HD-Only package until the new birds can match what D* (at that time) is offering. I think this HD-Only package will then probably be grandfathered when E* can match D*'s HD.

I believe Scott (or someone) stated 24 month commitment to get this package and this price point may keep many from switching to D*. People will weigh the switching to D* for many HD channels at a higher cost vs staying with E* with less HD channels but cheap. This is a stop-gap package until the new birds are launched, and may also entice many cable customers to get E* as an add-on to their cable service.

I've had my 622s locked down to only 3 SD channels for many months, CNN, MSNBC and Tennis Channel. I locked out those 3 last night to see if I can live w/o a news channel, so I'm defacto already living with the HD-Only package . It will be tough for me with no MSNBC with this being an election year, but I'm gonna try.

A $10, 4 Channel HD Movie Premium add-on would be sweet. It's not like you get the other 40 some-odd SD channels, so hope it happens.

Sure would be nice if E* changes this package to allow you to also get at least one SD channel of your choice. Ok, how about Fav5 SDs?

Sure would be nice if E* changes this package to allow you to also get at least one 'SD' channel of your choice. Ok, how about Fav5 SDs?

Probably impossible given programming provider contracts. The channels selected (and omitted) are probably all because of programming contracts. RSNs are probably not allowed because of this.

When BTN went live on Dish back in September, they told us that it was just a free preview until Feb. If you want it after then you will have to subscribe to the sports package.

Only if you live outside of the Big Ten Region. If you live in the Big Ten Region it will always be a part of the basic programming IIRC.

I don't care about the RSN's as all of my teams home games are on NBC OTA with no compression, and the rest are usually on ABC or ESPN. I will gladly sign up for this to stop paying for the SD crap that I never watch my bill will prob be cut in half, this will tide me over till my phone co-op finishes their fiber network and delivers all the HD I want, they already have 6MB DSl out here in the boonies.

I have a question about the new HD only package. I recently returned to Dish and I qualified for the "Free 6 months of HD" promotion, and february will be my sixth month......will I need to wait till the end of february to switch or can I switch at the begining of february and keep the $20.00 credit?

wow the new packages will work for alot of customers, but I am not getting excited until NEW Channels come out. I need USA and Sci-fi in Hd as well as my local channels....Time Warner has all my locals in HD, but dish and direct doesnt. can anyone tell me why?

Ok, so what happens if you have AEP+HD+RSN's+HD Locals already? Do you get grandfathered-in to the new package, or do you start losing channels on 02/01?

No, you just have the option of downgrading the HD not to include the VOOM package (and a couple other channels). The package price stays the same just gets renamed ultimate,

Welcome..

wow the new packages will work for alot of customers, but I am not getting excited until NEW Channels come out. I need USA and Sci-fi in Hd as well as my local channels....Time Warner has all my locals in HD, but dish and direct doesnt. can anyone tell me why?

I see that this is your second post. Welcome aboard! But if you read your own post you will realize that you have given absolutely no info as to where you even live:eek:. USA is still quite large:D.
Just think about your posts before hitting the old "submit" button.
Gerry

I would say the answer to the RSN question is, Dish by contract may not be able to offer the RSN's without an AT200 or above package. I'm sure they would allow you to at least buy them if they could.

I would say the answer to the RSN question is, Dish by contract may not be able to offer the RSN's without an AT200 or above package. I'm sure they would allow you to at least buy them if they could.

Most channels want to be on the lowest tier possible so they get MO' Money....I would think this would be an easy 5 bux if DISH were to charge for the Sports Package if you want your RSNs.

If I could add Lifetime for my wife and Fox news for myself the new HD ultimate standalone would be perfect but no chance of that happening.

If I could add Lifetime for my wife and Fox news for myself the new HD ultimate standalone would be perfect but no chance of that happening.

Lifetime has an HD version of its channel. Who knows, maybe Dish will start carrying it if they ever get their act together and add channels.

I don't see them adding an HD version of Fox News though. We couldn't even get them to add Fox Business Network. When I called to cancel dish this week I gave several reasons for leaving. One of which was their lack of adding FBN, even the standard version of the channel. I have FBN on cable and I really enjoy it. I guess I am one of the 6,900 daily viewers of the channel during the weekdays. I'm so cool. I have my FBN and Fox News and love them both.

My guess is that if E* adds any additional HD channels prior to the new birds becoming active, that those HD channels will automatically be added to this HD-Only package.

I think that E* will only offer this HD-Only package until the new birds can match what D* (at that time) is offering. I think this HD-Only package will then probably be grandfathered when E* can match D*'s HD.

I believe Scott (or someone) stated 24 month commitment to get this package and this price point may keep many from switching to D*. People will weigh the switching to D* for many HD channels at a higher cost vs staying with E* with less HD channels but cheap. This is a stop-gap package until the new birds are launched, and may also entice many cable customers to get E* as an add-on to their cable service.
?

24 months? That is insane! I woudl be all over this but not to lock me in for another 24 months!! The Writers strike has me watching less TV and more HD/BD/SD DVD rentals, I may keep going that route and down grade dish to min wihtout incurring a lot of fees and see what happens next 12 months.

Not true as far as I know.

24 months? That is insane! I woudl be all over this but not to lock me in for another 24 months!! The Writers strike has me watching less TV and more HD/BD/SD DVD rentals, I may keep going that route and down grade dish to min wihtout incurring a lot of fees and see what happens next 12 months.

I have read NO posts that associated any commitment with the HD only package. Folks shouldn't throw out bad info with nothing to back it up.
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)