New Dual Tuner OTA Adapter

My question is does the dual OTA tuner even come with a warranty of any kind? With the original tuner, there is a warranty as some people I know had them fail and got replacements from DISH.

If it didn't come from Dish, and Dish doesn't sell it, then I'd say the warranty is through the seller.

Reactions: Almighty1
I did speculate that they weren't selling them at least until they released the dual-tuner s/w update and maybe they'll start selling them. No need to suddenly do that the same day that the s/w is pushed either.
Dish has not released the dual-tuner software for Wally or Hopper 1 receivers. So, it would still be false advertising to call it a dual-tuner for those purposes.

but even though WE know it's manufactured by Hauppauge
You are seriously overthinking this. Do you realize that many companies make products for other companies and that the actual "producer" has no responsibility on the end-user aspect ? Using your logic, if someone had an issue with the original, single-tuner module, they should work with Pace and not Dish, right ?

You are seriously overthinking this. Do you realize that many companies make products for other companies and that the actual "producer" has no responsibility on the end-user aspect ? Using your logic, if someone had an issue with the original, single-tuner module, they should work with Pace and not Dish, right ?

If Dish isnt selling it or backing it, then yes. Who else would I call? Let's say you bought your TV at Target. 6 months down the road, the TV's motherboard goes out. Do you call Target? No, you call Sanyo/RCA/Sharp etc. If Dish had sold the Dual Tuner as a Dish branded item, I'd call them. But from what everyone is saying here, Dish is neither selling nor standing behind this product. So that would lead me to believe that I'd have to call the manufacturer.

Dish does sell these, just to distributors, not end-users (yet). Your first recourse is to work with whoever you bought it from. Just using your TV example, let's say the motherboard went out after 2-3 weeks, I'm returning it to Target. If it's past Target's return window, do I contact Shenzou Electronics because they are the company that really manufactured the TV ?

I got mine from the Dish Depot, so I would think that Dish supports the device in some manner. After all, why would they include its functionality in their UI if they don't/won't support it?
As I repeat this post I would additionally ask exactly who provided the specifications to the manufacturers for these dual tuner dongles? It would seem the specifications must have come from Dish.

Dish does sell these, just to distributors, not end-users (yet). Your first recourse is to work with whoever you bought it from. Just using your TV example, let's say the motherboard went out after 2-3 weeks, I'm returning it to Target. If it's past Target's return window, do I contact Shenzou Electronics because they are the company that really manufactured the TV ?

Yes! As a matter of fact, when the motherboard on my Sanyo TV died, it was Sanyo's authorized repair shop that fixed it under warranty

As I repeat this post I would additionally ask exactly who provided the specifications to the manufacturers for these dual tuner dongles? It would seem the specifications must have come from Dish.
They did - this is a Dish device. Contract manufacturing takes place every day with all types of products, from food to TVs.

Now, as far as exact specifics on the "specs", it is entirely possible that Dish said "we need this" and among the companies that bid on the job, Happague came back and said "our model # XYZ123 meets all of your specs and additionally has 'this'". Going this route eliminates prototyping, vendor qualifying, testing, tooling, etc, etc. All of these can make the part lower cost to produce too.

Generally, there is no requirement for there to be a warranty, or to even admit you are the manufacturer.

or to even admit you are the manufacturer.
:thumbup

Correct. In the case of this dual-tuner dongle, even if all 'evidence' points to Happague as being the 'manufacturer' (hell, they may have someone else actually manufacturing it !!), you can't contact them for help, warranty, replacement, etc. They will play dumb, even if they know they in fact produce it, and tell you, "sir, this isn't one of our products. It appears to be from Dish Network, so you would need to contact them. I can locate their phone number for you, if that will help".

If someone tries pointing out "USB identifier" numbers and what-not, it will mean nothing to the average service rep.

:thumbup

Correct. In the case of this dual-tuner dongle, even if all 'evidence' points to Happague as being the 'manufacturer' (hell, they may have someone else actually manufacturing it !!), you can't contact them for help, warranty, replacement, etc. They will play dumb, even if they know they in fact produce it, and tell you, "sir, this isn't one of our products. It appears to be from Dish Network, so you would need to contact them. I can locate their phone number for you, if that will help".

If someone tries pointing out "USB identifier" numbers and what-not, it will mean nothing to the average service rep.

And then when you call Dish they say "we don't sell it either, sorry." Trust me, that's how it works. They won't repair or replace any of the old single tuners and they won't sell you the new dual, either. So good luck with that!

Last edited:
I have sent a PM to a DIRT member asking the question if we have an issue with the OTA adapter. Will post when I hear from him.
DIRT member says there is no way of sending one so we are unable to provide a replacement. Any warranties would be through the 3rd party that you got it from.

Any warranties would be through the 3rd party that you got it from.
I'm afraid that that rep is incorrect

IMG_0104.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts