Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The Eastern Arc DMAs launching on October 22nd fall into three categories:

· Transitioning HD Markets – The markets listed below are Western Arc markets that will transition to an Eastern Arc designation. DISH Network already provides HD local network programming in these markets. Existing customers who reside in one of these ten DMAs should not be impacted by the switch to an Eastern Arc designation in their market, and should continue to receive applicable programming using their existing antenna configuration.

o Atlanta, GA
o Birmingham, AL
o Chattanooga, TN
o Florence-Myrtle Beach, SC
o Ft. Myers, FL
o Huntsville, AL
o Jackson, MS
o Memphis, TN
o Mobile, AL
o St. Louis, MO

· New HD Markets – The markets listed below will be designated as Eastern Arc markets. DISH Network will be launching HD local network programming in these markets for the first time on October 22, 2008. This does not necessarily mean that a particular DMA will receive all major network affiliates (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) in HD at that time. We will provide updates as necessary when major network affiliates are added in HD to local network programming available in these DMAs.

o Abilene, TX
o Columbia-Jefferson City, MO
o Des Moines, IA
o Joplin, MO – Pittsburgh, KS
o Lincoln, NE
o Omaha, NE
o Quincy, IL
o Waco, TX
o Wichita Falls, TX

· Transitioning SD-Only Markets – While the DMAs listed below will be designated as Eastern Arc, DISH Network does not currently offer HD local network programming in these areas. Additionally, please note that DISH Network will not be launching HD local network programming in these DMAs on October 22, 2008. Stay tuned for future communications regarding upcoming HD local transitions.

o Sherman, TX – Ada, OK
o South Bend-Elkhart, IN
o Topeka, KS

Eastern Arc Review

As you know, DISH Network is committed to being the leader in HD programming, and Eastern Arc is part of that goal. As DISH Network’s newest satellite orbital constellation (at the 61.5°, 72.7°, and 77° orbital locations), Eastern Arc makes
available additional bandwidth, which will help us offer more HD channels, including HD locals.

Other benefits of Eastern Arc include better look angles in many areas of the country, and the ability for DISH Network to have a “total MPEG-4 solution” (which is intended to provide “future-proofing” for new HD customers residing in Eastern Arc DMAs because they are required to be installed with only ViP®-Series / MPEG-4 equipment).

Additionally, fewer two-antenna installations are required – Eastern Arc customers have the ability to receive both SD and HD programming via one antenna – the new DISH 1000.4. Currently DMAs that fall outside of the 129° footprint or that receive HD locals from 61.5° require two antennas.

I keep hoping that Buffalo, NY will show up in the EA list so I can get this down to a single-dish install on the new house. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen soon. ... oh wait... EVERYTHING happens "soon". :D

I am a new customer getting an install this weekend. I am in the first group. I wonder if I will get the EA?

Probably not as this isn't until Oct 22nd. Talk to the retailer you signed up trough or the local installer. Maybe you can delay the install and get EA equipment so you can get a one dish solution.

If not, at least make sure they point you to 61.5 as that is where the local HDs are (assuming you're getting HD)

Scott. Any timeline for current Dish customers for the switch to EA??

I say it will probably be quite a while. You can always switch yourself granted that you have the correct receivers, dish, and cards. But I see no reason to do it unless a second dish is really killing you that bad.

This sounds like really good news, especially since folks here won't have to hear me griping like crazy about no promised HD locals anymore.
:p

Still, I find some of this news a bit confusing.

I live in the Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK DMA. I don't know why they leave Lawton out of the listing since KSWO, the ABC affiliate in that DMA is located in Lawton (the NBC, FOX & CBS affiliates are in Wichita Falls).

Anyway, the HD local channels for this DMA were previously uplinked on the bird at 61.5°. With this market now being designated as an Eastern Arc market does that mean the HD locals will come only from the satellite at 72.7° or 77°?

My current setup is a Dish 1000.2 and ViP722 receiver. Previously, I figured I would need a wing dish installed to pick up the satellite at 61.5°, but now it looks like I may need an entirely new Dish 1000.4 model and new smart card for my ViP722. Anyone have any ideas on what's what?

Anyway, the HD local channels for this DMA were previously uplinked on the bird at 61.5°. With this market now being designated as an Eastern Arc market does that mean the HD locals will come only from the satellite at 72.7° or 77°?

My current setup is a Dish 1000.2 and ViP722 receiver. Previously, I figured I would need a wing dish installed to pick up the satellite at 61.5°, but now it looks like I may need an entirely new Dish 1000.4 model and new smart card for my ViP722. Anyone have any ideas on what's what?

Given these are launching Oct. 22nd, and Echostar 8 will still be several degrees away from 77W, I think it's safe to say these are destined for 61.5.

i guess i need to go rummage thru my uncle's old dishes and find one i can use for 61.5. he is a E* retailer and has a dish junk pile. i really hate having to put up another dish since it will have to got all the way over on the other side of the house because of LoS issues for 61.5.

Come on Omaha HD Locals!! I was so close to switching to Directv as they already have the Omaha locals in HD. What a happy day this will be!!

Am I going to have to get any new equipment, or will what I have work fine? Will I have to do anything to my 722 or 622 to pick up the 61.5, 72.7, or 77 signals???

Great, I live in the Fort Myers area and while I'm a current subscriber, just did a DishMover yesterday, the 13th, and have two sats on the side of my house now. :(

In St Louis and now confused

I just noticed that St Louis is in the EA. I have a 1000.X single dish now pointed to 100/118/129. Doesn't this mean that I will need a dish repoint?

I say it will probably be quite a while. You can always switch yourself granted that you have the correct receivers, dish, and cards. But I see no reason to do it unless a second dish is really killing you that bad.

Nope. Not killing me to get another dish. Just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts