New Eastern Arc Markets & HD Locals Coming October 22nd

I live in Des Moines with a vip722 and a vip622. My dish is a 1000?. I have not received any new smart cards and I am wondering if I need them before the 10-22-08 switch to the eastern arc? Also wondering if I need a new or additional dish. "John"

I live in Des Moines with a vip722 and a vip622. My dish is a 1000?. I have not received any new smart cards and I am wondering if I need them before the 10-22-08 switch to the eastern arc? Also wondering if I need a new or additional dish. "John"

To be on EA you would have to purchase your own 1000.4 and need the new smartcards for EA. Otherwise, you'll keep your existing setup and you or E* will install a wing dish to get 61.5 assuming the HD locals will be on that bird. EA, as it is currently implemented, is only for brand spanking new subs. There isn't any great advantage to it over WA and the mpeg2 SD channels on WA currently have a bit higher resolution than the mpeg4 SDs on EA. Your mileage may vary of course.

I keep hoping that Buffalo, NY will show up in the EA list so I can get this down to a single-dish install on the new house. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen soon. ... oh wait... EVERYTHING happens "soon". :D
EA would at least give you some options..perhaps less trepidation over your install

Scott,
Will Dish ever add unserved areas? I live in St. Joseph, MO and we don't even have SD locals much less HD. Our only local station finally decided to move into the 21st century a couple of weeks ago and started showing broadcasts in HD, but they are still not available on Dish.

jlhugh said:
i dont see KAUZ on that 9/24 uplink

The up-links for KSWO, KJTL and KFDX on the 61.5° satellite that happened on Sept. 24 were MPEG-2 SD channels instead of HD. Currently none of the local HD channels from our DMA are uplinked on 61.5°.

The HD versions of KSWO, KJTL, KAUZ and KFDX were first uplinked April 2 on the satellite at 61.5°. Then they were deleted from 61.5° on September 19. My guess is E* will simply "turn on" those local channels again when they're planned to be made available (this day next week). After what happened in September, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for E* to follow through on the annoucement.

Another issue some my friends are asking is what's the upgrade going to cost to get those HD locals? I've seen some previous offers where subscribers either paid a $50 install fee for the wing dish or renewed their 2 year contract to get the install fee waived.

Scott,
Will Dish ever add unserved areas? I live in St. Joseph, MO and we don't even have SD locals much less HD. Our only local station finally decided to move into the 21st century a couple of weeks ago and started showing broadcasts in HD, but they are still not available on Dish.

As satellites are added over the next year or 2, my guess is that you'll see your locals added. Probably know a lot more around the end of the year, when we see if Ciel-2 was launched successfully, and dates for future sats are firmed up.

To be on EA you would have to purchase your own 1000.4 and need the new smartcards for EA. Otherwise, you'll keep your existing setup and you or E* will install a wing dish to get 61.5 assuming the HD locals will be on that bird.

I'm in the Joplin, MO area. If I were to call Dish about getting the wing dish, about how much would that cost me? I would love to have my locals in HD, but not if it's going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm in the Joplin, MO area. If I were to call Dish about getting the wing dish, about how much would that cost me? I would love to have my locals in HD, but not if it's going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Bloomer88, I'm in the Mobile, AL area and our HD locals lit up in May. I have a 1000.2 dish and I called Dish Network and there was no charge for the visit or installation of the wing dish. I did have to extend the contract by 24 months though...

Probably $49, $59 or $99 dollars since they seem to be price points E* likes. In some cases, it has been free without any additional commitment and sometimes has been free with a 24 month additional commitment. It seems to depend on what you are able to negotiate. I highly recommend negotiation. I would think E* might be somewhat generous having put up western arc Dish 1000.2s for many of us and then switched us to EA instead. That would be my argument.

OK. Today is October 22. What happened to all those new Eastern Arc markets and HD local channels additions that were supposed to take place? Nothing on any up-link reports so far. It seems like the channel additions usually take place in the very early hours of the day (between 2:00am and 6:00am).

D* has lit up 3 more HD LiLs today.

According to EKB, Joplin is listed as one of 9 local markets to be added on 10/22 (today).

The nine HD LiLs planned for addition on 10/22 include:
Abilene, TX; Columbia, MO / Jefferson City, MO; Des Moines, IA; Joplin, MO; Lincoln, NE; Omaha, NE; Quincy, IL; Waco, TX; Wichita Falls, TX / Lawton, OK.

There is a question as to whether the local channels added for the Abilene and Joplin markets will be HD or just SD. There's also no telling on how many network channels will be turned on in each market.

Yes! My HD locals are on, well 3 of the 4. The tech that just installed my new EA dish an hour ago said he got a memo from dish that my local FOX would not be launching today.:confused:

I was hoping E* would finally get the Wichita Falls, TX / Lawton, OK market's HD local channels turned on already. So far, it isn't showing up on any of the up link reports.

I'm in Des Moines. I talked to someone at E*. They offered to install a wing dish for free with a 24-month commitment.

Waco, TX HD Local?

The title is not a typo... Dish only turned on NBC today for Waco, TX local HD. What's the deal with that? I called and they won't do a free migration since there is only one channel available on 61.5. I was told that once all the networks are available, they will offer free migration. But, of course, the rep had no idea when that would be.

But, he also claimed 61.5 was not part of the Eastern Arc... So I'm not sure how much he really knew.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)