New EHD - questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nwflyboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Seattle, WA, USA
So I've got my new EHD hooked up to my 722. A few questions - want to make sure I'm doing things right...

It appears that in order to move a program from the internal HD to the EHD, one chooses the option to "archive" one or more programs - correct?

Assuming that's the correct procedure, I assume that the process copies the selected program(s), then deletes it/them from the internal HD, freeing up space - that is, it's not necessary to explicitly delete the program(s) from the internal HD after the archive process has been completed (because they're automatically deleted once it has been copied) - correct?

I've just "archived" one recording and started the process for a second. It would appear to be taking a lot longer than I would expect, for example 15-20 minutes or longer for an HD movie of typical length. Is that to be expected? I guess I was expecting shorter copy times based on copying equivalent size files on a desktop computer (maybe I'm spoiled by using FireWire routinely?). The EHD is connected via a (powered) USB hub.

Once a recording has been "archived" to the EHD, it behaves the same as any recording on the internal HD, right?

Would I be correct in assuming that recordings must always go straight to the internal HD, and then must be moved ("archived") to the EHD after recording - that is, you can't record anything directly to the EHD" - correct?

If all of the above is correct and expected behavior, then I suppose I could just select a dozen recordings and start the "archiving" process before I go to bed tonight, and let it chugg along for however many hours it needs to move all those bits. While the "archiving" (copying then deletion from source disk) process is taking place, would there be any problems if a recording is scheduled to take place? Can I watch then delete *other* recordings that are on the internal HD while the "archiving" operation is slogging along?

Any tips/tricks/things to know about this process are welcomed. Thanks!!

So I've got my new EHD hooked up to my 722. A few questions - want to make sure I'm doing things right...

It appears that in order to move a program from the internal HD to the EHD, one chooses the option to "archive" one or more programs - correct?

Correct. the EHD "archives" the content that you send to it.

Assuming that's the correct procedure, I assume that the process copies the selected program(s), then deletes it/them from the internal HD, freeing up space - that is, it's not necessary to explicitly delete the program(s) from the internal HD after the archive process has been completed (because they're automatically deleted once it has been copied) - correct?

It tranfers the recording to the EHD. It is not copied, so there will be nothing on the internal drive to complete

I've just "archived" one recording and started the process for a second. It would appear to be taking a lot longer than I would expect, for example 15-20 minutes or longer for an HD movie of typical length. Is that to be expected? I guess I was expecting shorter copy times based on copying equivalent size files on a desktop computer (maybe I'm spoiled by using FireWire routinely?). The EHD is connected via a (powered) USB hub.

It depends on what you are transferring, but the time for you is about normal

Once a recording has been "archived" to the EHD, it behaves the same as any recording on the internal HD, right?

Yes, you can play a recording directly from the EHD.

Would I be correct in assuming that recordings must always go straight to the internal HD, and then must be moved ("archived") to the EHD after recording - that is, you can't record anything directly to the EHD" - correct?

Correct. Nothing can be recorded directly to the EHD. Has to be on the internal drive first, then tranferred

If all of the above is correct and expected behavior, then I suppose I could just select a dozen recordings and start the "archiving" process before I go to bed tonight, and let it chugg along for however many hours it needs to move all those bits. While the "archiving" (copying then deletion from source disk) process is taking place, would there be any problems if a recording is scheduled to take place? Can I watch then delete *other* recordings that are on the internal HD while the "archiving" operation is slogging along?

Any tips/tricks/things to know about this process are welcomed. Thanks!!

You can set things to transfer, then hit the hay for the night (that's what I would do). There shouldn't be any problems with scheduled timers. I'm not sure about watching internal recordings, but I imagine that you can. I'm sure someone will chime in and confirm/deny this

Yes
Yes
I've just "archived" one recording and started the process for a second. It would appear to be taking a lot longer than I would expect, for example 15-20 minutes or longer for an HD movie of typical length. Is that to be expected?
Yes
Yes
Yes, more or less. If you have a EHD with a 211 it goes straight to disk but that is because there is no internal drive
If all of the above is correct and expected behavior, then I suppose I could just select a dozen recordings and start the "archiving" process before I go to bed tonight, and let it chugg along for however many hours it needs to move all those bits.
That's what I do
While the "archiving" (copying then deletion from source disk) process is taking place, would there be any problems if a recording is scheduled to take place? Can I watch then delete *other* recordings that are on the internal HD while the "archiving" operation is slogging along?
No problems with it interfering with recordings or watching other stuff while archiving it taking place.

Yes, I think you got that just about perfect. The only gotcha I ran into is that, while the archiving or restoring is going on, you can't do anything else off the EHD. Recording or playback from the internal disk, yes. Playback from the EHD while a transfer is in progress appears to be impossible, though I've accidentally cancelled the transfer many times while trying to see something on the EHD. :(

Also, if you ever land on the progress dialogue box, don't press CANCEL on the remote while it's transferring! For some reason, it interprets CANCEL literally on that pop-up, even though on everything else CANCEL simply exits a menu or cancels changes... Make sure to select VIEW TV instead when you're done looking at the progress.

The only gotcha I ran into is that, while the archiving or restoring is going on, you can't do anything else off the EHD.
And for the 922 with multiple EHDs connected through a hub, you can't access any other drive during a transfer. Also transfers can not be done directly between externals; events have to first be moved back to the 922.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)