New Equipment vs. Upgrade from Dish Network?

IBJammin

Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
MS.
I am kind of in an unique situation. I currently have a 522 DVR receiver in which tuner 2 no longer works. I have to get another receiver. The problem is, right now I can get my local channels from the state in which I live no thanks to the FCC. Where I live at I am suppose to get locals from the neighboring state in which I could care less to watch.
mad.gif
I could probably call Dish and tell them to cancel my account due to the receiver problem and they might be willing to send me another receiver in which I could upgrade to HD. But doing so I am worried that somehow in the process I would lose my state's local channels. I could buy my own equipment in which I would not have to worry about the problem but would be a more expensive solution. I have a Dish 500 dish right now and feel I could get a 1000.4 and install it myself and then just change out the receiver without a Dish tech person coming out. What would you do in this situation? Or if you have another idea that would be inexpensive and a solution to my problem please let me know.

Desperate people do desperate things.

I am kind of in an unique situation. I currently have a 522 DVR receiver in which tuner 2 no longer works. I have to get another receiver. The problem is, right now I can get my local channels from the state in which I live no thanks to the FCC. Where I live at I am suppose to get locals from the neighboring state in which I could care less to watch.
mad.gif
I could probably call Dish and tell them to cancel my account due to the receiver problem and they might be willing to send me another receiver in which I could upgrade to HD. But doing so I am worried that somehow in the process I would lose my state's local channels. I could buy my own equipment in which I would not have to worry about the problem but would be a more expensive solution. I have a Dish 500 dish right now and feel I could get a 1000.4 and install it myself and then just change out the receiver without a Dish tech person coming out. What would you do in this situation? Or if you have another idea that would be inexpensive and a solution to my problem please let me know.

Desperate people do desperate things.

If you lease a HD receiver from E*, they demand to send a tech for the installation. Might as well pay the fee and have them erect the new dish. You'll have the tech fee tied up in buying a 1000.4 and installing it yourself. Otherwise, you'll likely have to purchase the HD receivers you want to avoid a tech visit. I don't understand your discussion of the locals from another state. If you can get them OTA, nothing will change. Otherwise, E* has to provide the locals for whatever DMA you reside.

Switching to D* would only be the cheaper solution for short term. It will probably cost more over the 24 month commitment though because of their higher prices.

That used to be the case nearly all the time, but not so true these days if you are beyond more than one Duo HDDVR.

I priced up the standard rate for 2 HDDVRs at both services with the top 250 or equivalent, and even after all the promos died off, the rate was about $10/month cheaper on D*. But you would lose some national HDs that E* has that D* doesn't. Like BBCA and you lose the movie channels in the HD Platinum that E* has.

So basically a wash at that level.

But if you add more equipment, then D* will keep getting cheaper...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)