New Firmware Update Today (09/27/06)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Azeke said:
I would try to reset the entire box via the setup menu. I think that these boxes are simular to mini-computers, they need to be restarted just to clear the residual memory, (especially when firmware upgrades are implemented).

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
IF you do the reset via the set up menu, does it do the same thing as the red reset button ?
If it is different, I have never tried it because I do not know what it should do entirely, Is it a reset as in wipes everthing and resets and I loose all my recorded programming and or resets my favorites ectand other pertinate info ?

I don't know ...
At least the red button resets and keeps your preferances....
I feel a bit safer, not knowing ....
Does anyone know exactly what the reset in the set up menu does, it asks to use the dash button.

btw, I've had NO problems with my HR20-700 ....

Jimbo

tstarn06 said:
Thanks Elway, I will try it. But sure is a strange workaround, huh? Next time, I will reset it and see what happens. It happened again to me today with an NFL game, but I deleted it (as I did with the other show). I hope they fix it at some point.

First day I had it one of my recordings was frozen, would not play. After reset it was fine, very strange.

Perhaps I was misunderstood. I was merely stating, that you should go to reset in the setup menu, this will start the HR20 with the initial setup, LNB, zipcode, etc. The red reset button merely restarts the HR-20 but doesn't clear the settings. Hopefully this clears things up ;) .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Azeke said:
Perhaps I was misunderstood. I was merely stating, that you should go to reset in the setup menu, this will start the HR20 with the initial setup, LNB, zipcode, etc. The red reset button merely restarts the HR-20 but doesn't clear the settings. Hopefully this clears things up ;) .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Ok ,what you said is what I was trying to find out.
The reset in the menus will start you over from scratch, will you lose all your setting and favorites as well ?
Does it delete any of your recordings ?
The recording is really what I was concerned with, I would hate to use that and find out my recordings got erased ....

Jimbo

I think it resets everything on the Hardrive, but I am not 100% certain.

Last edited:
The red button does not force you to reenter everything, it's just a restart more than a reset. In the menu you can reset and clear everything or you can just restart the box.

hdtvtechno said:
Wait is there a second one.... ?

No.... ;) :D
Red button to reset and there also is a reset in the set up menus...
So to answer your post YES there are other options...

in case you were not aware of it , now you are :)

Jimbo

elwaylite said:
The red button does not force you to reenter everything, it's just a restart more than a reset. In the menu you can reset and clear everything or you can just restart the box.
So it allows you these options, that is good to know.
If I do go the reset route, Do I lose my recordings ?

Jimbo

Last edited:
I have used the red button and "restart recorder" under the "reset" menu. With those two I lost nothing and it fixes hangups. As far as "reset defaults" and "reset everything". I've never touched those two.

elwaylite said:
I have used the red button and "restart recorder" under the "reset" menu. With those two I lost nothing and it fixes hangups. As far as "reset defaults" and "reset everything". I've never touched those two.

And you shouldn't if you merely want to restart the box. The reset everything is a drastic measure, one only to use in case of serious problem (and it may not even fix that). I talked to a tech at D* today and she mentioned the red reset button as a way to "save" a frozen recording. If that doesn't work, I have to call back and it will be escalated. Fixed permanently would be more appreciated. I can only hope that the next software/firmware upgrade will do it.

tstarn06 said:
And you shouldn't if you merely want to restart the box. The reset everything is a drastic measure, one only to use in case of serious problem (and it may not even fix that). I talked to a tech at D* today and she mentioned the red reset button as a way to "save" a frozen recording. If that doesn't work, I have to call back and it will be escalated. Fixed permanently would be more appreciated. I can only hope that the next software/firmware upgrade will do it.
Hopefully that update you are waiting on will also activate the OTA tuner !!!

Jimbo

I just had my new HR20-700 installed today.

I asked the installer about the upgrade that would enable OTA.

He said that it will NEVER happen.

So, there's another story for the grist mill!!!!

jammy said:
I just had my new HR20-700 installed today.

I asked the installer about the upgrade that would enable OTA.

He said that it will NEVER happen.

So, there's another story for the grist mill!!!!
Your installer has NO CLUE !!!!
D* would not build a Brand new HD DVR that they worked on for so long and not have a OTA tuner in it.....
IF that was thier objective, the OTA Tuner would not have been mentioned in the owners manual, and it would not be greyed out on the reciever if it was not going to happen, It would just not be an option, not even showing up, period.

The OTA tuner will be turned on, I think they are trying fo figure out why the H-20 OTA tuner is having trouble, hopefully fixing thier issues, and when they get that figured out they will turn on the HR20's as well.... It would be my guess that they share tuners or common components..., which could be a good sign because they OTA tuner on the H-20 appears to be a very good tuner, much better than the H-10 (sensativity wise). My Sony XBR has a better HD tuner in it than the H-10, I have no problem with the H-10 except I cannot get my other city locals with it and I can with no trouble on my TV tuner.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
The OTA tuner will be turned on, I think they are trying fo figure out why the H-20 OTA tuner is having trouble, hopefully fixing thier issues, and when they get that figured out they will turn on the HR20's as well.... It would be my guess that they share tuners or common components..., which could be a good sign because they OTA tuner on the H-20 appears to be a very good tuner, much better than the H-10 (sensativity wise).

My guess for the delay is intergrating the OTA tuner into the program guide and recording functions, not the actual hardware. Heck, look at E* STB's, the still don't have their boxes working as well as the 1st gen D* HD boxes that had OTA tuners in them with the Advanced Program Guide.

rad said:
My guess for the delay is intergrating the OTA tuner into the program guide and recording functions, not the actual hardware. Heck, look at E* STB's, the still don't have their boxes working as well as the 1st gen D* HD boxes that had OTA tuners in them with the Advanced Program Guide.
Hmmm,
Good point.

Jimbo

Just ordered mine today and asked about the OTA. The rep said that they would be activating the OTA in December, (take it for what its worth). Upgrade cost $99, but only had to trade in my Samsung non-DVR HD receiver and get to keep my HD Tivo. Also get a $10 credit on my bill for the next 12 months.

sprog68 said:
Just ordered mine today and asked about the OTA. The rep said that they would be activating the OTA in December, (take it for what its worth). Upgrade cost $99, but only had to trade in my Samsung non-DVR HD receiver and get to keep my HD Tivo. Also get a $10 credit on my bill for the next 12 months.

Odds are they will activate it when they are certain things will function properly. No sense in putting buggy software out there with as many as they are distributing. Eventually you will have your OTA function. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)