New guy...811 question

Tweak

Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
I have read here on the forum use s-video for their standard programming and get a better picture. I tried running a new s-video cable from the back of the 811 to an open input on my set (Sony LCD), but when I switch to that input, all I get is what looks like color static near the top of the screen. I am currently using an DVI to HDMI conversion cable to the HDMI connection on my set. I would love to get my regular channels close to what they were with the old 311 if possible...Am I supposed to change a setting in the 811 to use s-video or should it just work by me switching inputs on my TV? I'm kinda green, as I am new to this stuff..Thanks for any help you can provide.. :)

My standard troubleshooting procedure is to remove all the cables except the one that I'm testing (s-video, in your case). Then, when I see a picture, I know it's coming from that source. If composite works, and s-video doesn't, you've got a bad box.

And welcome to satguys. :wave

Both the SD and HD outputs output at the same time so you should not have to change a setting to make it work. Couple things I would do to trouble shoot.

1) Try a different svideo cable if you have one.
2) Try the hookup on a different TV if possible.
3) As Mike suggested, Try the Composite line and see if you get a picture.

If one and 2 dont indicate no picture, I would lean towards a bad box. As to getting better SD through svideo. Opinions Vary on this one and your Mileage may vary. Not sure the size of your LCD but the bigger you go the softer SD becomes as it upscales.

Some TVs have better scaling technologies than others and HD receivers usually don't do as good as job as the TV, but there is a lot of factors in getting a good SD picture. Some of them are related to how you have your TV calibrated. I alway suggest doing a TV calibration with Avia or something like that to make sure you are starting at a good point. If you have sharpness turned high, that will really make your SD picture look like bad.

Thanks for the advice...I will try a different S-Video cable for starters. I haven't tried the component yet, so I'll try that as well, should I have no success with the S..... Sorry...my TV is a 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD, so I guess I shouldn't expect the same picture as my 36" Panasonic tube with the 311 receiver....hopefully I can get it a little better though. As far as adjustments, I've pretty much been through them all (sharpness is definately WAY down) to get it as best as possible without affecting my HD quality. Actually, it would be great to be able to use a separate input so I could store the best settings for each. I thought it should have been a fairly easy deal, plugging in the additional cable and selecting the corresponding input - which is why I thought maybe there was something in the 811 set up that would have affected my other outputs on the 811..A bad 811 box?? No Way!! How can that be? (LOL) - Judging from the user reviews of the 811, that is a possibilty I somehow should have never overlooked. If your advice doesn't help, I will see about comissioning another box from Dish. Anyway, hey thanks for the welcome...great place.....and thanks again for the advice!! :)

I am about to have the 811 delivered and set up here too - and have been interested in this subject because I too may attempt to receive via Component for HD and S-Video for SD [if I am unhappy with the reception as is]. I'll bet IF it is going to work one would probably have to Change INPUT Setting on the TV itself - not the STB. Like when I go to use myy DVD player I have to access my TV Menu Settings and switch from Cable/Sat to DVD. I don't know that does not make sense either. I am talking to myself here. Hope you get it figured out and if so - let use know please.

Best of Luck! Michael

I have no problem using s-video for SD and component for HD but how do I get audio to two different video inputs on the TV?? Is it ok to put a Y cable on the autio out jacks from the 811?

BigShowJoe, there are 3 audio outputs on the 811, one digital and 2 analog. Can you assign an audio input to a TV input source? Does your TV accept a digital audio input?

I watch everything via component on my pj and I get a fine picture. The recordings I get from the S-Video are sub par as compared to my Voom stb.

I have fiddled around with every setting, cable, etc. on my LG EDTV and the 811 trying to get the best picture for sd. I now have it hooked up via component for hd/sd using the partial zoom setting on th 811, s-video thru a DVDO Iscan Ultra for sd and composite for constant obsessive pq checking :) All 3 have pros and cons, different stretching, color rendering, etc., but I mostly leave it on component. I like DVI for HD, but it isn't that much of a difference and I use it to connect the Iscan ultra which works very well in processing 480i dvd.

BigShowJoe said:
I have no problem using s-video for SD and component for HD but how do I get audio to two different video inputs on the TV?? Is it ok to put a Y cable on the autio out jacks from the 811?

I have an 811. I used 2 Y connectors to split the sound and everything works great. I have 2 VCRs, 1 DVD player, and the TV being fed by the output jacks. My surround system sounds good also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)