New Guy Here, Need Some Advice Aiming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BigSkyGuy

Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Hi everyone. I just joined today and I could use some assistance if someone is willing. I purchased an additiional Dish 500 Dish and made a tripod to mount it on. I recently took it on a trip and took my reciever from home. I could not get a signal after trying for hours. I know the correct Azimuth and Elevation and had a clear shot at the Satellites, but I could not get a hint of a signal. I have new RG6 cable and a working reciever. When I got home, I plugged the reciever in to my permanent mounted dish and it works fine. I even went back and exchanged the LNB in case it was bad. I also checked continuity on my Coax. I'm at wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

did you leveled your mount? it is very critical. and have you cleared switch matrix before aiming the dish because it will show you satellites you hitting when aiming and also you have go slow when aiming

I did level the mast perfectly. Also, I moved the dish very slowly in 2 degree increments at different elevations. I don't know how to clear the switch matrix, but I did do the switch test and results said I have fewer satellites than previously......whatever that means. I tried selecting Alternative and also No Selection.

You say you have/had the right Azimuth and Elevation. Where were you when you were trying to aim, what az. & elev. were you using & did you set the skew?

I had a corrected true north heading on my Garmin 60CS and I know I was right at the correct Azimuth. I checked the angles with the online zip code angle finder and I was pointing at 168 Degrees Azmuth and 39 Degrees elevation. Skew is 90 which has never changed anywhere I have set up. I have set up dishes many times and never had this much trouble pointing. I don't guess at things like this.

i think we just figured out why you are off... this online zip code angle finder you are using? is it giving you the settings for a Dish300 or 500? Cause there is a really really good chance, it should not be 90... unless you are only trying to line up to one satellite.
Use the zip code thing on the receiver itself, see if it gives you a different set of numbers

I had a corrected true north heading on my Garmin 60CS and I know I was right at the correct Azimuth. I checked the angles with the online zip code angle finder and I was pointing at 168 Degrees Azmuth and 39 Degrees elevation. Skew is 90 which has never changed anywhere I have set up. I have set up dishes many times and never had this much trouble pointing. I don't guess at things like this.

what zip code were you in when you were trying to point the dish?

There's not a good chance that you're in a location where skew is actually 90. Which means, as stated, you were probably using the Dish 300 coordinates. Switch to Dish 500, set your skew, and it should work.

Yeah give us more details what Zip were you in?

Also :welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!!!!!!

When I was ting to set it up, I was in Zip 59725, Dillon, Mt, but I live at 59901, Kalispell, Mt.
The skew is set right according to the directions on the Dish on screen instructions. My reciever doesn't have the Dish 300 options, just Super Dish and Alternative in the check switch area. My dealer told me to just leave them both unchecked.
I'm starting to wonder if maybe the center feed of the coax end doesn't extend far enough into the LNB when I screw it on.
I think maybe today I'll try putting my new LNB on my home dish to see if it works.
OH, and thanks for the welcome. I really appreciate all of you truying to help me here.

Last edited:
I panned the sky all over in that area. I didn't get to play with it today, but I'll set it at those angles and try it again. Thanks a bunch.

if your checkswitch is doing the test, it should be telling you test 1 of 3..2 of 3.. and so on. If it says 1 of 38 you know your receiver is not making a connection to your LNB. As long as the receiver sees the LNB it should go to 1 of 3 on your checkswitch, so I doubt your stinger was not going inside your LNB. 37 is a pretty low elevation, so you really need to lookout for trees or anything in the distance. Do you have a real clear line of sight? Remember, with the dish 500, the signal doesn't come straight at the dish, both satellites hit at the side of the dish and bounce to the LNB. ( just put your hands out like a Y from behind the dish for a good judgement.) Otherwise, just get it close with your compass and go slow from their. Doesn't hurt to periodically rerun your checkswitch either, unless you have a meter I've found that those on screen meters from your receiver can be quite slow to refresh, especially if you loose the signal altogether., so although it's much slower rerun checkswitch from time to time. Look at your LNB, one side should say 110, the other should say 119. If you have a strong 110 or 119 but the other is weak, you know which way to move your dish.. left for more 110, right for more 119.
Good luck!

I moved the dish very slowly in 2 degree increments at different elevations.
Your problem may be making adjustment in 2 degree increments. That is way too much. You will go right past the satellite and never knew you hit it.

If you were to go to the Dish 500 you have at home, and barely, or lightly push the LNBF to one side or the other, your receiver would lose signal. Likewise, if you push up or down on the LNBF of a perfectly aligned Dish 500, it will lose signal. And we are not talking about 2 degrees here. :)

On the Point Dish Screen, whatever you enter does not affect the operation of the receiver. Checking the SuperDish or the Alternate boxes will only cause it to run additional tests and is usually used for FSS Satellites (121, 105).

Make sure the mast is plumb.
Enter your Zip Code, Select Sat 119, Select TP 11, and select 500 for the Dish Type (not SuperDish or 300).
Get the readings and set the Skew and the Elevation.
Cover the 110 LNBF with foil so that it does not pick up any satellites.
Set the Azimuth, and then start search east and west, moving about 1/32" at a time. Give the Point Dish screen about 8 - 10 seconds to register before moving it another 1/32". No need to ever adjust the SKEW.

If you can not find 119, then you may need to adjust the Elevation a 1/4 degree, and then repeat the azimuth search. However, if you find 119 on the 110 LNBF, you are pointed too far to the east, twist the complete dish to the west about 1/8" and you should get 119. If you are picking up 129, then go to the east about 1/8" and you should have 119.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)