New Guy Question – Hopper OTA a hardware or software upgrade?

Driftwood

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Atlanta
I’ve been reading for some time and just now joined, thanks for the Great web site and info. I have a new-guy question, I’ve tried to find but cannot and sorry if this has been already answered. I’m planning to upgrade from a VIP622 & VIP211K to a 1 hopper & 2 joey set-up. We live in the Atlanta area where Dish and WPCH (SEC football/basketball & Braves affiliate) are in a dispute and the station has been pulled. I’m currently getting this station via an OTA antenna, adequate for now. My question; when Dish upgrades the Hopper to utilize OTA (like the 622) hopefully soon, will this be a software or a hardware upgrade (requiring a box upgrade). Thanks in advance for the assistance.

DISH will most likely release a USB OTA adapter. I'm not sure if the firmware is already supporting that or not, but if it is not, it will be a software update. They are slating that OTA support will be this summer.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome:

I’ve been reading for some time and just now joined, thanks for the Great web site and info. I have a new-guy question, I’ve tried to find but cannot and sorry if this has been already answered. I’m planning to upgrade from a VIP622 & VIP211K to a 1 hopper & 2 joey set-up. We live in the Atlanta area where Dish and WPCH (SEC football/basketball & Braves affiliate) are in a dispute and the station has been pulled. I’m currently getting this station via an OTA antenna, adequate for now. My question; when Dish upgrades the Hopper to utilize OTA (like the 622) hopefully soon, will this be a software or a hardware upgrade (requiring a box upgrade). Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hardware as a USB accessory, and of course the software to support it. The receiver itself will not need to be swapped.

Just a reminder that there has been no official statement from dish that this will ever come out.
All we have is a statement from a dish rep on video stating that it will this summer.

For two Hopper integration (seeing each other list) we do it in writing on the customer estimate sheet that it is in fact coming.

If you need over the air I would waiting on buying until dish puts something in writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)