New guy w/ Dish here and needs some help

sportsguy10

Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
southeast
So i'm thinking about getting Dish network this week, but need some help to make up my mind.

Can you all just let me know what you think overall of them. I am with Time Warner now and can't stand them.

A big issue for me is i'm a die hard NY Giants and Yankee's fan, but from what i'm told there is absolutely no way to get their games in another state. Is this true? I've heard from ppl that I can send my bill to my other address in NY and then I would get the locals. I'm so confused, but would love some guidance.

Thanks guys for helping

I can give you an overall answer. I've been with Dish about 2 years now and am overall pleased with the service and the equipment. I do not like some of the current fee levels, but it is still cheaper than the alternatives and has more of the channels that I prefer to watch in HD. I don't do SD at all these days.

For your sports requirements, I don't know of a legitimate way to do what you want. Well, except for the NFL. With the NFL channel, you can see most NFL games, but mostly time delayed. For me, that works quite well, it might not for you. Plus there is the NFL RedZone which is in the multi-sports pack.

I don't know if there is anything similar for baseball though.

If NFL and MLB are really important to you, and you are willing to pony up a fair amount of money, DirecTV might be a better choice.

Thanks for your opinion, I don't want to go w/ Direct TV b/c they are wanting 300/year for that package just b/c they call it "exclusive". I think it's "ridiculous". I'm trying to see if i'll be able to see NY Giants games if I purchase the local sports network package. Any familiarity with this?

No, I don't have any familiarity with it.

But do a search on the forum for 'move' or something like that. It has been discussed before.

The equipment fees were raised recently to what they are now, which was a significant increase over previous levels for some of the equipment. Particularly the DUO DVRs.

When you look at what you need for equipment, really think hard about what you want to accomplish and keep in mind the 1st one is included in the package.

For instance, in my setup I have no need to run 2 independent TVs off of one receiver, especially since one would only get SD. But I do like PIP and I use over-the-air as well as SAT for my HD Locals. So I got the 722k. As the only (at the start) receiver, there was no additional cost other than a DVR fee of $6 per account.

Then I added another HDDVR, the Vip612. No PIP, only runs one independent TV. Works great! This cost $10 per month.

If you were to need DUO DVRs above the 1st one, they cost $17/month.

Thanks for your opinion, I don't want to go w/ Direct TV b/c they are wanting 300/year for that package just b/c they call it "exclusive". I think it's "ridiculous". I'm trying to see if i'll be able to see NY Giants games if I purchase the local sports network package. Any familiarity with this?
The "local sports network package" is for the Regional Sport Networks. None of them show NFL games. And they won't show any of the Top 4 pro league games (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA) outside of your viewing area.

If you want to watch the Giants legally, you'll either need to move into the NY Giants market, get Directv (though a recent Supreme Court case may require the Sunday Ticket to not be exclusive... that'd take years to sort out) or go to a local sports bar that has the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Thanks for your help and explanation of the package... Direct TV is basically monopolizing the entire market right now w/ that package. They won't be getting my money lol, i'm going to read some reviews on Dish and probably choose them.

So i'm thinking about getting Dish network this week, but need some help to make up my mind.

Can you all just let me know what you think overall of them. I am with Time Warner now and can't stand them.

A big issue for me is i'm a die hard NY Giants and Yankee's fan, but from what i'm told there is absolutely no way to get their games in another state. Is this true? I've heard from ppl that I can send my bill to my other address in NY and then I would get the locals. I'm so confused, but would love some guidance.

Thanks guys for helping
The only way for you to get the Yankees would be thru Direct TV since Dish has never carried YES and there is no talk of them picking them up in the future either. As for the NY Giants you would have to get the NFL package with Direct which is expensive.
If you still had an address in the NYC area you could get Direct TV and just "move" back there after you had your system installed and you would get the NYC RSN's which would be YES, MSG,MSG+ and SNY which are on a CONUS beam as well as the NYC locals including CBS,NBC,FOX and ABC. You would not be able to get the rest of the NYC locals like WWOR.WPIX etc. because they are on a spotbeam. If you needed WWOR for the weekly game the Yankees have on there you would need to get Dish for that channel because they have that channel on CONUS in their locals and superstation package. If you have any more questons you can pm me. Go Giants.

See I have an address in North NJ and an address in NC. I figured it would be as easy as having the bill go to NJ address, but apparently the FCC stopped this a few years back.

See I have an address in North NJ and an address in NC. I figured it would be as easy as having the bill go to NJ address, but apparently the FCC stopped this a few years back.
After you are all setup in NC you just have to change your service address back to NJ and you can keep your billing address the same. You can go with auto pay so there is no mailed statement each month also.