New H3 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
Just got the H3, Joey2 and Wireless Joey yesterday.

On Wireless Joey, TV does not turn on when power button is pushed even though it's connected with HDMI cable. Also, Wireless Joey does not turn off when TV is powered off. Have Wireless Joeys always been like this?

Last edited:
In the Menu under Settings > Remote be sure that HDMI-CEC is on for the wireless Joey.

As for the power off, if HDMI-CEC is enabled use the TV button to turn off the TV and then wait 5 minutes or so. Yes, wait. Then see if your Joey eventually shuts off. If so, then HDMI-CEC is working properly. And I use properly very loosely.

IMO, Dish broke the way HDMI-CEC should work over a year ago and won't fix it for some odd reason. Used to be perfect. Hopper/Joey power on, TV comes on. TV power off, Hopper/Joey off IMMEDIATELY.

It was that way for about a month then they introduced this odd minutes long delay. Not maybe 5 or 10 seconds which I could understand (to keep the DVR on in case you accidentally turned the TV off and did not want to lose what you were watching, especially if watching delayed TV), but minutes. So now it's one button press for on and TWO for off for us, if we are done watching TV at night, want to go to sleep and I do not want that green LED on the Joey lit. Just a nuisance for a while, but should not even have to be an issue.

Still shaking my head on this...

Reactions: peggy97850
I like the fact that it doesn't shut off the Hopper/Joey that way if I have the show delayed I can turn off the TV and go to another room and join the stream and not lose my place. Before I would have to leave the room and join the stream then go back and turn off the other TV.

Reactions: spidey27
I like the fact that it doesn't shut off the Hopper/Joey that way if I have the show delayed I can turn off the TV and go to another room and join the stream and not lose my place. Before I would have to leave the room and join the stream then go back and turn off the other TV.

I can see this as a possibility. But to be honest I would think this scenario is a rare exception across all the Dish customers and not a common thing. Where one would go to a different television from delayed TV rather than waiting for a commercial at live TV and then switching. Then again, a customer could always turn CEC off as an option if they like. Or as a novel idea(!!) just add a third setting for us to pick where it's now: CEC on/off/delayed then you satisfy pretty much every customer.

I do have the Wireless Joey HDMI-CEC on. I'm thinking maybe my six year old Sony TV does not have that feature even though it has HDMI inputs.

Also, I read a long time ago that delay in shutting off the Hopper was needed for the Hopper to properly shut down.

I do have the Wireless Joey HDMI-CEC on. I'm thinking maybe my six year old Sony TV does not have that feature even though it has HDMI inputs.
If the TV supports it, there will be CEC options somewhere in the TV's HDMI setup menus. In Sony-speak CEC is called "Bravia Sync."

Last edited:
My newer Sony has that and it works well with the Hopper(s) as well as our DVD player and Fire TV. The older Sony is a Bravia but searching through the menus today I found nothing like a sync option. Thanks.

I do have the Wireless Joey HDMI-CEC on. I'm thinking maybe my six year old Sony TV does not have that feature even though it has HDMI inputs. Also, I read a long time ago that delay in shutting off the Hopper was needed for the Hopper to properly shut down.

Try this: http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanual/NA/EN/hx850/brsyncset_uc.html

I have a 32" (KDL-32S3000) and 40" Bravia (KDL-40EX500). Not sure of exactly when we bought them but probably 5 years ago I'd say and they have the HDMI-CEC functionality.

For the delay as a way to properly turn off the Hopper, there is no delay needed to properly turn off. Think about if you simply pressed the Hopper power button it immediately goes into standby (or off as some like to call it). There was debate in the past where if the Hopper power off was to turn off the TV then that was an issue. Because some people wanted to turn the Hopper off but still keep the TV on to watch a DVD, play a video game, etc... That I can agree with.

Then there are some people that want to listen to music and turn off the TV and need the Hopper to remain on.

Reactions: KAB
Then there are some people that want to listen to music and turn off the TV and need the Hopper to remain on.

But in your example one would simply turn off CEC and control each device's on/off independently if they want the TV off but keep Hopper on. Makes no sense to have CEC work for powering on devices only.

The Sony in question is a KDL-37M3000 and looking through the operating instructions manual that came with it, does not appear to have HDMI-CEC function or as Sony calls it Bravia Sync. I did buy it in 2008.

Reactions: Tron2012

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)