New HD Channel on VOOM: Equator HD to start 6/15

Walter L. said:
Over-compression shouldn't be an issue with VOOM. Wilt Hidendrand (at the Yahoo group) has indicated previously that VOOM pre-allocated all channel in all transponders from day-1. In other words they are running at full channel capacity from day-1. Therefore, every time they add a new channel they don't need to mess with compression on the existing ones (like D* does).
I don't see the macro-blocking that you refer to. Anybody else seeing such problem?
I take what Wilt says with a grain of salt. If you want to put an end to the compression issue then tell us the bitrates.

vurbano said:
I take what Wilt says with a grain of salt. If you want to put an end to the compression issue then tell us the bitrates.
I don't know about bit rates (as I don't work for VOOM :D). The only thing I know is that Wilt has demonstrated to be honest A lot of times he had admitted when problem exists and worked toward resolution. I just don't see any PQ problem with this channel.

Walter L. said:
Over-compression shouldn't be an issue with VOOM. Wilt Hidendrand (at the Yahoo group) has indicated previously that VOOM pre-allocated all channel in all transponders from day-1. In other words they are running at full channel capacity from day-1. Therefore, every time they add a new channel they don't need to mess with compression on the existing ones (like D* does).
I don't see the macro-blocking that you refer to. Anybody else seeing such problem?

but all that means is that they've been overcompressing from the get go. if some channels show more problems than others, it's b/c the content on those channels need more bandwidth.

voom painted themselves into the corner with their "39 hd channels" marketing. now they have to stick to it regardless of any pq issue that may come up, until october when (if) wm9 is deployed.

I realize they have been the same since day one, but I defintitely see this. Again, stills are fine, but when you get enough motion or frame to frame difference, it starts to macro-block.

The only numbers about bitrates I've seen comparing D*, E* and V* are these (compiled by Mike123ABC on DBStalk):

"DirecTV uses the most compression on their HDTV channels of any satellite provider.

DirecTV HDTV is 15.8Mbit, vs 16.9Mbit on Voom. Dish is 19.8, just like the OTA HDTV channels.

(Details compiled by Mike123ABC on DBStalk:

VOOM Runs 8PSK 22msym 5/6 FEC 188/204 RS or 50.69 mbit/sec or 16.9mbit per channel with 3 HDTV channels (minus some because of guide data, etc but not much).

DIRECTV runs QPSK 20msym 6/7 FEC 188/204 RS or 31.6 mbit/sec or 15.8mbit per channel with 2 HDTV channels

Echostar current is 8PSK 21.5msym 2/3 FEC 188/204 RS or 39.6 mbit/sec or 19.8 mbit/channel with 2 HDTV)"

source: http://bbrcs.clanspace.com/forum/remark,8721971~mode=flat~start=20

I haven't seen the motion effects, however I did notice some issues with the roofs of the buildings in Eye over Italy the other evening. When the camera is flying overhead at a distance I see minor defects in the rows of tiles. It seems to disappear when the shot gets closer, however when they pan out they reappear.

I see the same things with the tiles. do you have a 1080i CRT or a 720 panel or something different? The tiles seem to dance around. I though it was due to scaling from 1080 to 720. But it certainly could be the compression. Those panns just have too much information content.

Walter L. said:
Over-compression shouldn't be an issue with VOOM. , every time they add a new channel they don't need to mess with compression on the existing ones (like D* does).

Yeah... and I have some swap land in Florida to sell?

barth2k said:
voom painted themselves into the corner with their "39 hd channels" marketing. now they have to stick to it regardless of any pq issue that may come up, until october when (if) wm9 is deployed.

Barth2k. I agree with you 100% but I also hope you are right about about it improving when wm9 is deployed and not just but up more channels and not increase the bitrate. I may be wrong but I thought th Wm9 was going to be for the SD first and the MPEG4 would be added next year for the HD channels. Do I have something goofed up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)