New HD Channel on VOOM: Equator HD to start 6/15

Westbender

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2004
West Bend, WI
Just saw a promo for a new VOOM exclusive. It's called EquatorHD and will premier on June 15th. Don't know if this is old news or not, but it's the first I've heard of it. Hard to tell what exactly the content will be from the promo. Looks a bit "Discovery-ish". Did anyone else see it?

I saw it but it was too quick for me to see the entire thing on the weekend. I kept looking for it and never saw it again. I though it was going to be a new program on HDnews. Did you see the entire thing? Is it a new channel or a new program?

I saw the ad, too -- and it wasn't for a series, said it was a new channel coming soon.

Also seemed to me that they had some cuts from about 3 different shows in the promo. Yeah, they could've been cuts from one long show, but the three had rather different locales, styles, etc.

The PQ was absolutely eye-popping, I thought. It looked as good as the absolute best stuff on DiscoveryHD -- and better than the bulk of the DHD shows.

I was impressed, and am looking forward to seeing it. Hope it's got more going for it than just good looks, but even if it doesn't, I might watch it just for the visuals.

I agree on the picture quality. Looked like it's going to be a well done bit of programming. I was kind of excited to see it and was fumbling for the remote to crank up the volume. I probably missed a few seconds of it because of that.

What was your take on the context of the programming? Geography/culture?

Sean Mota said:
In which Channel did you guys see the promotion? I first saw it on HDnews.

Unfortunately, I can't quite remember -- although I *think* it was on HDNews.

Seemed like the shows were going to be "almanac" style -- meaning, sometimes an overview of the place, sometimes an overview of an ecology, sometimes an overview of the people... Pretty much whichever of those items would look the best.

Being a big fan of really pretty TV, that's fine by me :D

Sounds cool... I'm always up for more HD Content!!

After only 1 weekend, I can't believe that I've been watching that
SD garbage for sooo long... :smug

I am officially becoming an HD snob....

I will watch a mediocre HD program over a good SD one... :p

is this going to replace an existing exclusive channel or are we going to have 22 now. If its an addition that sucks, because its taking up valuable bandwith.They should get rid of it a lot of the exclusives, like cutting down the cinemas to 5, get rid of epics, gallery, treasure, auction , and MOOV, they better not take up more bandwith with another exclusive, even though it looks good, they have many that they can sacrifice.

Don't know for sure but look how Cinema is defined currently

Cinema 101
Cinema 102: World Cinema
Cinema 103
Cinema 104
Cinema 105
Cinema 106
Cinema 107: Classics
Cinema 108: Epics (Is this going to replace Epics 122?)
Cinema 109: Gunslingers
Cinema 110: Divine

I think they are going through some re-arrangements. Equator HD might become one of these or replace Epics 122.

Hopefully REAL epics on 107. Actually there are more action/epics movies not on Epics.

neo0285 said:
is this going to replace an existing exclusive channel or are we going to have 22 now. If its an addition that sucks, because its taking up valuable bandwith.They should get rid of it a lot of the exclusives, like cutting down the cinemas to 5, get rid of epics, gallery, treasure, auction , and MOOV, they better not take up more bandwith with another exclusive, even though it looks good, they have many that they can sacrifice.

Voom isn't Dish Network or DirecTV -- they don't add more channels by just crapifying everything else. They've already stated that they are set up with a bunch of "test" channels which simulate the bandwidth consumption of future channels -- so when those channels are added, there's absolutely no degredation in quality.

So they claim, anyhow. Since PQ is Voom's primary marketing approach, I tend to believe they'll put more effort into it than the other satellite providers. We sure won't see five bazillion local channels turning every channel into mud like I saw happen to Dish Network before I left 'em.

I saw the advertisment last night a around 8:55 pm. The ch looked great. Picture quality was top notch. We will see...but for now Im very excited about this new ch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)