New HD Channel on VOOM: Equator HD to start 6/15

Official Press Release:

Source

Rainbow Media to Launch Ultimate High-Definition World Destination and Culture Channel Equator HD, Exclusively on VOOM
Thursday June 10, 3:33 pm ET
New VOOM HD Originals Channel to Present Breathtaking Documentaries, Films and Original Programming That Capture the Culture of the Planet's Most Captivating Places

JERICHO, N.Y., June 10 /PRNewswire/ -- On June 15, Rainbow Media, the nation's leading source of high-definition programming will launch Equator HD, a new channel dedicated to capturing the awe-inspiring sights, sounds and stories that define the world's most exotic and unique locations in today's most advanced viewing format. Available exclusively on VOOM, the first comprehensive high-definition satellite television service, Equator HD will feature an eclectic mix of breathtaking documentaries, films and video essays that illustrate these incredible world destinations and offer a rarely seen glimpse inside fascinating cultural traditions as seen through the eyes of people who call these places "home."
"The goal of Equator HD is to savor natural sights and sounds, and make viewers feel like they are actually in the hills of Tuscany or the mountains of Tibet," said Bill Roberts, Vice President of Programming, Equator HD. "The unrivalled clarity of high-definition and immersive 5.1 surround sound allows viewers to fully experience the stories of people, places and cultural traditions as they unfold."

Equator HD will serve as a guide to the ceremonies, celebrations and rituals of both man and nature giving the viewer the feeling of being in the moment through visually-stunning HD format. The initial programming will enable viewers to explore a wide range of cultures and countries, from the picturesque country sides of Europe, to the farthest ends of the Far East. Highlights include:

* "Eye Over" -- reveals spectacular aerial views of the picturesque
European countryside of England, France and Italy.
* "Shirikami Mountains: Legacy of the Beech Forest" -- documents one year
in this Japanese UNESCO world heritage site as the passing seasons take
their toll on the Beech trees and the wildlife that inhabits the
forest.
* "Heavenly Maidens Dance Again" -- examines a traditional Cambodian
cultural dance, that was suppressed by the Communist government and
survived due to the courage and strength of one woman.
* Video essays from India, Japan, Papua New Guinea, Thailand and Egypt
seen through the eyes of locals.

Greg Moyer, President, Rainbow Regional Programming added, "With Equator HD we look forward to working with some of the world's most acclaimed cinematographers to capture life in the exotic corners of the world. This unique addition to VOOM's HD Originals allows viewers to see the world's most fantastic places without leaving their home."

Equator HD is one of the VOOM HD Originals, an all-inclusive package of 21 commercial-free channels created by Rainbow Media and available exclusively to subscribers of VOOM, the first television service to offer a comprehensive array of HD programming to customers throughout the continental United States. In addition to Equator HD, the VOOM HD Originals include exclusive HD coverage of international soccer on WorldSport HD; unique animation entertainment on Animania HD; artistic masterpieces from around the world on Gallery HD; an inside look at exclusive live auctions on Auction HD; spine-chilling movies brought to life in hi-def on Monsters HD; 24/7 news shot in native HD on HDNews; experimental non-narrative video art on MOOV; the latest pop music concerts on Rave HD; in-your-face action sports on Rush HD; the best in fashion, food and fine living on Ultra HD; and HD Cinema 10, a 10-channel multiplex of uncut, commercial-free movies in HD, including Divine HD -- the first ever high-definition 24/7 gay movie channel.

"Heavenly Maidens Dance Again" -- examines a traditional Cambodian
cultural dance, that was suppressed by the Communist government and
survived due to the courage and strength of one woman.
This has been showing on (I think) Gallery.

"The goal of Equator HD is to savor natural sights and sounds, and make viewers feel like they are actually in the hills of Tuscany or the mountains of Tibet," said Bill Roberts, Vice President of Programming, Equator HD. "The unrivalled clarity of high-definition and immersive 5.1 surround sound allows viewers to fully experience the stories of people, places and cultural traditions as they unfold."
This is Voom's chance to shine. Come on, Voom, knock off the compression and let this one rip full bitrate.

I followed the thread at the top of the page and noticed EPICS HD was no longer listed in the 21 Exclusive Channels.... hence, EQUATOR HD must be an exchange (replacement) of some kind... I hope this is not the case... perhaps, they'll place EPICS HD in with CINEMA 10 group... I'd hate to lose any programming (or channels)...

voomvoom said:
I followed the thread at the top of the page and noticed EPICS HD was no longer listed in the 21 Exclusive Channels.... hence, EQUATOR HD must be an exchange (replacement) of some kind... I hope this is not the case... perhaps, they'll place EPICS HD in with CINEMA 10 group... I'd hate to lose any programming (or channels)...

That is the case. Epics will be moved to channel 108 (one of the Cinema movies) and channel 122 (currently Epics) will become Equator HD.

Sean Mota said:
That is the case. Epics will be moved to channel 108 (one of the Cinema movies) and channel 122 (currently Epics) will become Equator HD.
Sean, why are there no channels 111-120? What's going to be put there, if anything? They obviously left them unassigned for a reason.

cyuhnke said:
Sean, why are there no channels 111-120? What's going to be put there, if anything? They obviously left them unassigned for a reason.

Don't know. But as you said, there's always a reason to their madness.

Don't expect 24/7 content on this new channel. I just checked zap2it and it will be on a three hour loop. Out of the three hours only one hour is new material. That means one hour per day is new in the first week. Look it up in zap2it. It is denoted as epics 122 but it is the guide for Equator HD. With Time the content should increas and make this channel great.

Yes I agree. With the small amount of amazing picture quality that I have seen in the previews, this should be a great addition to the VOOM lineup.

PG Updated

It looks like the PG is already updated with the EquatorHD content for 6/15 (though it still shows channel 122 as EPICS). These are some of the listed programs:

Broadway Remembers:

"The history of the famous NYC street and the people who made it what it is. Presented in High Definition TV."

Italy: Bologna to Venice: NO description

Heavenly Maidens Dance Again:

"Cambodian women revive the royal tradition of aspara dancing, which was nearly destroyed by years of war. Presented in High Definition TV, Dolby Digital."

France Provence: No description

Venice: Soundscape Beyond Time:

"An experiential tour of the canals, plazas and buildings of Venice. Presented in High Definition TV, Dolby Digital"

This channel's picking up some shows from Gallery. Maybe they'll be ditching Gallery soon.

I hope they don't ditch gallery as it's quite relaxing and nice to watch. If they move Epics to replace a Cinema channel good! I am still confused as to what Equator will be, cultural, a travel channel in HD, or a Discovery type of channel? I don't know but the ads did look very promising.

I think ultimately Equator is a consolidating channel. I think Voom will be changing things around, and moving existing programming to this channel. New content will flow, and it seems it will be like DHDT.

What channel is it on it is 6/15 2am pacific can't find Equator

Anyone find this channel on the program guide , it is June 15 i just got home from work midnite, and am searching my program guide to no avail. Epics is still on the guide with info going foreward so i am not sure Equator will replace Epics. Anyone in the know please post reply

cyuhnke said:
This channel's picking up some shows from Gallery. Maybe they'll be ditching Gallery soon.

I hope they don't condense or ditch Gallery -- prefer Gallery and Equator to be separate channels.

I guess we will soon find out... No sign of the new channel yet...

Equator is off and Running 3 am Pacific

Equator Channel is off and running at 3 am Pacific. The first show is called Painting the Country and is about Australian Aborigines and their painting heritage. The Picture quality is stunning rivals HDNet. It is so clear. I am really excited about this channel, i hope it has content like the travel channel. It is on Channel 122 and replaces Epics

they must be using HDcam? Moving Epics to Cinema10 is a step in the right direction. Way to go Voom. You are making progress. Like a snail, but progress just the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)