New HD channels launch in 8 days - who will be ready ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
So all these new HD channels get launched a week from tommorrow.

Unless I'm missing something, only those that have managed to obtain a 211 / 411 will have an opportunity to watch them. Everyone else has to wait for a while - maybe quite a while.

If you have a 921 / 942 I guess the only way you can expect to receive the new HD any time soon is if you agree to give up the DVR capability you paid so much for and add a 211 to your collection.

Wonder if Dish will offer an "upgrade from 211 to 622" deal later? Could it be we might get stuck with an unneeded receiver? Nahhhhh, they wouldn't do that.

I find it interesting that E* is reluctant to take orders from
customers who wish to upgrade...to me, it looks like a loss
of revenue....it's not like Chuck to deprive his fellow
shareholders.

I think if I were a E* CSR on Feb 1st, I would be calling
in sick....it may be a stressfull day...lol

Well I would be but sounds like the 211's are hard to get around in this aera. So as soon as I can get a 211 will be ready to go.

I Got My 211 A Week Ago And It Took Alot Of Talking To Csr To Get One But I Will Be Ready .just Hope The Rest Of You Who Want To Upgrade Can Get One Soon..............

netminder32 said:
I find it interesting that E* is reluctant to take orders from
customers who wish to upgrade...to me, it looks like a loss
of revenue....it's not like Chuck to deprive his fellow
shareholders.

I think if I were a E* CSR on Feb 1st, I would be calling
in sick....it may be a stressfull day...lol

This IS all about getting new customers, NOT about upgrading existing subs.

They know they already have them in their pocket and most aren't going anywhere. They've got plenty of time to pick their pockets AFTER the new sub rush peaks out.

I ready. Go t2 411's running on HD ready monitors, 1 in my "theater room" and another in my "computer/radio room". Now if E* would add HD programming that I would interested in then I would be happy. I enjoy the HD package I have now have not seen anything else in the "new and improved" packages to make me want to "stand up and run to the telephone"!!

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

I "will" be ready, I have a New Vip211, sitting right here, beside me at work, I will hook up and activate tonight. OH, I have been a Dish Subscriber for 14 years, so I am not a new customer.

622 cost to new and to ext cust will be 299.99 lease
622 cost for current 921/942 owners (after mail in rebate on apirl 1st) you pay 299.00 and then you get 200.00 back (who knows how you get the rebate yet)
211/411 will be 49.99 for ext cust
Dish N Up For Ext cust 3 levels 49.00 for best offers then 79.00 then 99.00 this is for sd dual dvr or sd basic setup.

so new cust are not getting to much more then a ext cust now but the poor people who have a 921 or 942 that they own are just SOL becaue they have to trade it for a leased rec

I will be ready... with my phone on auto-redial on Wednesday, Feb. 1st, 12:01 CST when the receivers (622) and new packages become available. AFAIK, there isn't a special number for new subs to call to get the equipment or content ahead of old subs. So I expect I will have everything as soon as whatever Dish considers possible!

snook2448 said:
<snip>.....
so new cust are not getting to much more then a ext cust now but the poor people who have a 921 or 942 that they own are just SOL becaue they have to trade it for a leased rec

Maybe I'm missing something but I read this as:

New customers can get a 211 right off (from various threads, many already have them) for $50 and be watching the new HD channels on or about Feb 1st.

Existing customers that currently own or lease an HD DRV can either get in line Feb 1st to pay $300 and miss out on new HD until they actually receive their 622; or can fork out the $50 to get a 211 and forgo dvr aspect and I think, kill any chance of an upgrade deal for their 921 / 942 for another year.

NR2D said:
... I enjoy the HD package I have now have not seen anything else in the "new and improved" packages to make me want to "stand up and run to the telephone"!!
Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Don't think you will need to run to the phone...as I understand if you have an MPEG4 receiver and you subscribe to the HD Pak, you automatically get billed the $20 HD Pack, since you will see all the new HD channels off the bat. Only those with the MPEG2 HD Receivers will still be able to get the $10 HD Pak and the $5 Vooms for obvious reasons.

WRONG!!

you don't get billed with the receiver you have, you have to physically order the new package.

BFG said:
WRONG!!

you don't get billed with the receiver you have, you have to physically order the new package.

So you're saying someone can upgrade to the new MPEG4 receivers but keep their old HD package ?

In other words even if you get a 211 or 622 you can choose to keep the original 10 Vooms + $9.99 HD pack and NOT add the new HD channels ?

only if you buy an mpeg4 receiver, if you upgrade to an mpeg4 receiver leased (which was not supossed to be allowed until 2/1) that requires HD

well shoot, I dunno, I confused myself, lol...

BFG said:
WRONG!!

I have already called and asked this question... The answer I got was - nothing - will have to be done... Lets see what happens.

I have my 211 sitting on top of the 942 ready to go. Getting D1000 and DPP44 tomorrow morning.

waltinvt said:
So you're saying someone can upgrade to the new MPEG4 receivers but keep their old HD package ?

In other words even if you get a 211 or 622 you can choose to keep the original 10 Vooms + $9.99 HD pack and NOT add the new HD channels ?
Why would you want a new MPEG4 receiver if you do not want the MPEG4 channels? Is there some other advantage of the new receivers that I'm missing?

Ready to go. I've had my 411 since they cam out. It replaced my old 4000 when I got an LCD for my Bedroom. Now I just need to wait for the 942/622 upgrade (which I got after the tech chat when they said MPEG4 was a bust).

Need a better upgrade offer for me. Give them 250 and then another 99 within a couple months? DOn't think so.

I remember seeing on charlie chat that existing 811 subd can upgrade for free to the 211 plus $49 for installation of a new antenna (dish). Everyone here says $49 to upgrade. I don't need a new antenna as I already have two so wouldn't the upgrade be no charge then?

I bet that less than 1% of the current HD subs will be able to receive the new Mpeg-4 channels even on February 28th let alone on February 1st.

Advice needed about Feb 1st

But when should I order???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts