New HD Channels - The Next Race in Space???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ReconPJ

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
Avondale, AZ
If Discovery and ESPN have any success with their new respective HD networks, are comercials 5 years from now going to be "The Most 3D Channels at the lowest price. Lower than cable. Get more for less. " etc... How many sattelites are they going to have to launch to be the nations 3D leader?

If Discovery and ESPN have any success with their new respective HD networks, are comercials 5 years from now going to be "The Most 3D Channels at the lowest price. Lower than cable. Get more for less. " etc... How many sattelites are they going to have to launch to be the nations 3D leader?

They can broadcast 3D HD channels on there existing satellites

I think he's asking how much bandwidth are these channels going
To take. I am curious as well. I also really hope this takes off. I will be due a new tv in a couple of years and would love to watch sports in3D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could lead to something or it is the equivalent of "vaporware." Every Pay-TV provider, cable; sat; etc., is surely looking forward to providing even more precious bandwidth for what might be a whole slew of 3D channels, and the extra cost to air those channels. I do believe the 3D channels will look horrid without the glasses, so the standard HD channels still have to be provided for the vast majority of customers and EVEN for 3D TV households who still need to view HD on their legacy HDTV's in other rooms.

As good as I've heard the 3D TV may be, it really could be DOA because of the facts of bandwidth life for all except FiOS, and we all know FiOS is NEVER coming to great swath of our great country, as Verizon has made clear itself. Expect some resistance from those who are still trying to deal with plain old HD and all the costs of all those additional channels: the Pay-TV providers. Have we seen BBC America HD in widespread availability yet? And that channel is, from my surfing on the net and watching TV personalities, is THE MOST requested HD channel people want NOW, and is the most lamented for its lack of availability. If we can't make that happen as of yet with all the clamoring and pressure, forget 3D TV. If the price aint right and if it is too much bandwidth, Pay-TV providers just aren't' going to be interested paying more for 3D channels when very few people will have the 3D sets.

I see on my screen sometimes where I am watching ESPN sports on ABC. I wonder if I can get this in 3D with the right glasses through my government converter box?

"The Emperors New Clothes" comes to mind.

TrueDat! I rarely agree with Swanni. However, he is 100% right that people will push back like no ones business on this one.

HDTV took off because of the digital transition and flat panels. Flat panels are sexy. Dorky 3D glasses are not.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's unlikely, IMHO, that 3D is going to succeed in the home. Bandwidth concerns, sure. Low demand will certainly keep it almost completely off cable and satellite. And limited infrastructure and FAPs will certainly keep it to a minimum on the internet for many years to come.

So IF 3D has any chance of succeeding in the home, it will be originally thru Blu-ray. And that will require up front investments, carrying it at a loss for years, as the tiny number of owners of 3D HDTVs & players, and the tiny number of 3D titles, grows. But Sony has done this before.

I smell another Smell-O-Vision.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's unlikely, IMHO, that 3D is going to succeed in the home. Bandwidth concerns, sure. Low demand will certainly keep it almost completely off cable and satellite. And limited infrastructure and FAPs will certainly keep it to a minimum on the internet for many years to come.

So IF 3D has any chance of succeeding in the home, it will be originally thru Blu-ray. And that will require up front investments, carrying it at a loss for years, as the tiny number of owners of 3D HDTVs & players, and the tiny number of 3D titles, grows. But Sony has done this before.

I smell another Smell-O-Vision.

I recently read in the newspaper that Toshiba will be bringing out 3D ready TVs and a 3D upconversion box, so that regular HD can be upconverted to 3D. If that is actually do-able and the price is right, that's where I will go. But if that happens, Sony will probably put a "no up-conversion poison pill" in their movies and distribution contracts. Disney (ABC/ESPN) might do the same.

Regards,
Fitzie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts