New HD channels

Yea, looks like D* & E* are fighting it out over who does or doesn't offer HD locals. When a DMA goes up, it does create renewed sales potential for new customer accounts. Remember, adding new accounts is what investors look for. Dribble out just enough nat'l HD to keep the indians happy on the reservation.

all the top rated channels not on Dish in HD are from Viacom.

There are at least as many Fox channels missing as Viacom. Also, how do you define "top rated"? I have no interest in Fox News or Speed, but I bet they are higher rated than CMT.

One of the worst aspects of modern culture is the sad idea that it is okay to leave out information , make up statistics, or make absolute statements without qualifiers if it supports the point you are trying to make.

There are at least as many Fox channels missing as Viacom. Also, how do you define "top rated"? I have no interest in Fox News or Speed, but I bet they are higher rated than CMT.

One of the worst aspects of modern culture is the sad idea that it is okay to leave out information , make up statistics, or make absolute statements without qualifiers if it supports the point you are trying to make.

Fox and Viacom are right up there together. Fox News and FX are definitely toward the top. Viacom's Nick is, however, generally the top network period for the day. However, that is mainly driven by kids.

Here are the latest ratings: http://tvbythenumbers.com/wp-conten...ime-period-ranker-livesd-week-of-09-08-08.gif

New DISH HD reminds me of a sign I always liked......
Just replace the words "Free Beer" with "New Dish HD"
700607_lg.gif

HDRoberts already gave the answer - Nickelodeon has the highest ratings of any channel that has an HD feed that is not on Dish Network.

Also, News Corp (owners of Fox) and Dish are involved in a legal dispute, so it is unlikely we will see Fox Anything in HD (other than the local network channels) until that is resolved.

Also, News Corp (owners of Fox) and Dish are involved in a legal dispute, so it is unlikely we will see Fox Anything in HD (other than the local network channels) until that is resolved.

Charlie is always involved in a dispute with someone and we always suffer the consequences...:mad:

ESPN-U HD would be nice.

That's the one that surprises me. Neither Dish nor D* has added it.

The channels have at least become better looking. I see a lot less macroblocking these days. Maybe Dish upped bitrates. Part of me would rather have 70 watchable HD channels than 200 barely watchable HD channels.

I don't understand ESPNU HD either I was going to call and order dish monday morning, and i decided to check for espnu hd first and was surprised to see they didn't have it, so i went to directv and they didn't have it either, so I have put dish on hold until after football season unless they unleash the U in HD before then. I am surprised i have it with TWC and the satellite companies don't have it. I know they have 80 or 100 hd channels and TWC doesn't, but i don't care too much for the dessert HD channels. I prefer the Meat and Potatoes channels.

When Charlie said in the Charlie Chat something like "while we'll add more national HD, we also understand in these economic times that customers don't want their rates to go up as well" I took that as a pretty good indication that new HD wasn't really gonna happen til the end of the year, closer to when they can hit us up in February. I don't really know how the economy effects new subs and all, but it kind of looks like Direct and Dish are slowing things down for a little while.

We have a reminder everyday on our tv that Dish will have 150 hd channels by the end of the year.

Turn your tv on and turn your receiver off and see what it says.;)

I'm pissed I don't have FX in HD for the It's Sunny In Philadelphia season premiere tonight, damn you Dish.

E* isn't even getting HD locals lit up that were promised. That alone makes me wonder about the 150 channel claim [although they'll find some way to count to get to that number :)]. Maybe some additional EA HD locals will go up once the 77 sat gets into position. I think the rest of us are out of luck until the new 129 sat is in position. Quite a few people around me are now dumping E* for D* to receive their HD locals. I really thought the Viacom national HD would have been added by now. I've lost all hope for the Fox national HD. I doubt anything will happen to national HD until they finally switch the remaining national mpeg2 to mpeg4 which, of course, will be soon.

Hot News! I have it from the executive level at Dish Network that both Fox News HD and Indianapolis locals HD will be up by February.

Charlie certainly did promise "up to" 50 more HD channels by year's end and I'll wager there are probably that many HD channels currently available that could be added.

I love the weasel words.... 'up to 50' is the same thing as saying 'ZERO to FIFTY channels added by year end' - could be zero, could be fifty. And I wonder why he didn't just shoot for the moon - 'up to 500 channels by year end' (or even 1000 or 5000!).

I'm pissed I don't have FX in HD for the It's Sunny In Philadelphia season premiere tonight, damn you Dish.

Sunny isn't filmed in HD so it doesn't really matter. The problem is if we want to switch to a Turbo package, it won't have FX. That causes issues for me.

Can someone put a question mark on the end of the question in the subject line? I keep coming in this thread thinking there have been new HD channels added. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts