New HD Locals coming in Feb 2006

Folks, I understand people with HD LIL via antenna think HD networks are a waste of space. I see posts every single time its mentioned. I get my HD LIL OTA but I know for a fact there are a good portion of "normal" people that cant or shouldnt get locals via an antenna. There are valid arguments but I for one think its the RIGHT use of bandwidth. Not necessarily the ideal for early adopters but the RIGHT use of bandwidth for the future of HD adoption and HD penetration.

One other thing when people complain...There are satellites being launched with Spotbeams specifically for HD-LIL. Spotbeams are pretty much useless for anything than LIL. And they're being used on side slots, so they don't affect the bandwidth of core channels.

Yes, core channels suffered somewhat due to LIL, but that's because they didn't plan it from the start. But for HD-LIL, the bandwidth argument doesn't hold up. (Although you could argue that they're spending too much on it, which drives prices up.)

BTW, I fully support compressing the heck out of HD-LIL. For those of us who have no other choice, HD-Lite is better than nothing. For people too stupid to hook up an antenna, they wouldn't know the difference anyway.

I also think they shouldn't carry an HD-LIL unless the network has xx% HD programming. I think that would only affect UPN at this point.

Another bandwidth saver- only run them in HD during Prime Time or other major events. That way, the east coast channels would go offline as the west coast comes on. I guess it wouldn't make any difference with the spotbeams. But it could help save a couple transponders with the Distant HD networks.

Once they get 150-160 of the markets up in HD they will have enough room to put the rest in HD as well if they take the SD down and swap the rest of the systems out with the MPEG-4 receivers.

Whatever happened to that talk in a thread about Dish Network deciding to continue on with MPEG-2 instead of swapping everyone out to MPEG-4?

Stargazer said:
Whatever happened to that talk in a thread about Dish Network deciding to continue on with MPEG-2 instead of swapping everyone out to MPEG-4?

Since then Dish hired a Chief Technology Officer. Based in Charlie's comments in November, I went and read about turbo coding. Did Charlie mention that turbo coding requires up to 8 seconds to lock onto the signal? Yeah sure, there goes channel surfing during commercials.

Of course, there's always the possibilty that Charlie was trying to intentionally confuse his competition.

Pictures that Scott G. took while at CES shows a sign with 48 or 50 DMA's that will be broadcasting HD LiL. Guess DNS only is out as their strategy for providing HD networks.

Those people that get the HD-lite product that D* and E* is evidently deciding to use will notice a difference when they start hooking up their HD DVD systems. What a difference will be seen when the HD DVD shows how HD is suppose to look like (like the bandwidth and resolution the HD Promo channel seems to be getting now).

Maybe Joe Average will start asking questions and complaining when he realizes the big difference...but it will be 5 more years before he gets his first HD DVD player for $15 (a 5th generation player no doubt). :rolleyes: All of us will be awed by SuperHD and would have forgotten these issues!

I'm hoping that a SHREVA expert can chime in here. I am also curious about the eligibility of those of us who cannot get a grade B digital signal but who currently have SD LiL via DBS. Are we then eligible for HD DNS? For example, I live 80+ miles from the transmitters in DMA#54, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA and there exists no antenna that will receive their signals at my house due to distance and terrain. I've tried, and if such an antenna did exist, I'd buy it. I'm also about 10-15 miles outside the grade B contour for our digital stations. This DMA was also "skipped" on E*'s list. Under those circumstances, would I be able to get NYC HD feeds, for example? I already have waivers from our ABC and CBS affiliates, but NBC and FOX are thus far refusing.

BoisePaul said:
I'm hoping that a SHREVA expert can chime in here. I am also curious about the eligibility of those of us who cannot get a grade B digital signal but who currently have SD LiL via DBS. Are we then eligible for HD DNS? For example, I live 80+ miles from the transmitters in DMA#54, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA and there exists no antenna that will receive their signals at my house due to distance and terrain. I've tried, and if such an antenna did exist, I'd buy it. I'm also about 10-15 miles outside the grade B contour for our digital stations. This DMA was also "skipped" on E*'s list. Under those circumstances, would I be able to get NYC HD feeds, for example? I already have waivers from our ABC and CBS affiliates, but NBC and FOX are thus far refusing.

According to SHVERA you will be able to request a digital signal test for WBRE and WOLF in April 2006. If you are correct, the test will fail and you will get forced waivers. The 2006 date is only for stations that will stay on their current DTV channel. This is true for both WBRE (DTV 11) and WOLF (DTV 45).

The digital signal test would be requested from the DNS waiver department at E*.

HD Locals

It is my understanding of the current "law" that as long as you can receive an analog signal from area locals via OTA, you will not receive distant HD network feeds. Stupid law! My local CBS station refuses to give me a waiver. I have a long range OTA with a booster and cannot receive their signal.

I would like to have HD locals added as I am sick and tired to dropped signals with my OTA.

Last edited:
Boisepaul, live in Sayre, Pa near Townada and have the same problem with the mountains and hills. Fox and NBC were also a problem for me.So I went to the Dishnetwork website add programming/locals and kept requesting waivers. It took me 8 requests to get Fox and 3 to get NBC.

Boston?

Stargazer said:
LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta HD Locals coming in Feb 2006 to Dish Network.

The original quote of this thread, above. On last Charlie Chat, Boston not on the list. Anyone know the status of Boston? (CSRs sure don't)

Yeah, It wasnt on the CC, but it was on the press release, and is being uplinked on Rainbow 1 @ 61.5! (Boston HD LIL that is!)

It's funny that those who think HD LIL's are a waste live in the flattest states in the country. (i.e. Oklahoma) Guess what, out here in CA there are millions that live in areas with lots of hills that can't receive any OTA. In LA there's only one location that brodcasts the digital stations. So if you're on the wrong side of a hill, you out of luck. Also, there's millions that live in HOA regulated area's where OTA antenna's are forbidden and only dish's are acceptable.

Dish will be able to beat out all the local cable companies around here if they provide the Locals in HD. That's really the only HD you can get via cable along with DiscoveryHD & ESPNHD.

I think this should be one of their major priorities.

Also, I think the networks have more HD programing than any other source.

BTW, I get all my locals via OTA here in Costa Mesa, CA.

mcdeeee said:
It's funny that those who think HD LIL's are a waste live in the flattest states in the country. (i.e. Oklahoma) Guess what, out here in CA there are millions that live in areas with lots of hills that can't receive any OTA. In LA there's only one location that brodcasts the digital stations. So if you're on the wrong side of a hill, you out of luck. Also, there's millions that live in HOA regulated area's where OTA antenna's are forbidden and only dish's are acceptable.

Dish will be able to beat out all the local cable companies around here if they provide the Locals in HD. That's really the only HD you can get via cable along with DiscoveryHD & ESPNHD.

I think this should be one of their major priorities.

Also, I think the networks have more HD programing than any other source.

BTW, I get all my locals via OTA here in Costa Mesa, CA.
Rural areas of the country (i.e. Oklahoma) are the DBS companies' bread and butter. Densly populated areas like LA are tailor made for cable. More subs per mile of cable. Same with fiber.

mcdeeee said:
Also, there's millions that live in HOA regulated area's where OTA antenna's are forbidden and only dish's are acceptable.
I don't care what an HOA says, OTARD applies to OTA antennas, too. They can NOT forbid them.

CJPC said:
Yeah, It wasnt on the CC, but it was on the press release, and is being uplinked on Rainbow 1 @ 61.5! (Boston HD LIL that is!)

Are you sure about this? Because if it is true I will cancel cable right now since I'll be getting my local Boston HD from DISH :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)