New HD Locals coming in Feb 2006

Stargazer said:
LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta HD Locals coming in Feb 2006 to Dish Network.

I got a waiver last year from my FOX local affiliate and so I was eligible for the Chicago WFLD Feed, which cost $1.50/month. I am not subscribing right now because it is not in HD.

If I pick it up again, as the waiver is still in effect, will that mean I automatically get WFLD in HD or do I only get the SD feed? Or do I get both and will it still be $1.50/month.

The CSR didn't seem to know anything about it.

Some very good questions. I am also curious if those that have the waivers for the SD locals will be able to get them in HD.

DirecTV only created the DBS HD LiL market because it was the only useful thing their failed internet satellites could do. It's kind of silly that Dish is following so blindly when they could have used their bandwidth advantage to provide more national HD channels than anyone else.

GeorgeLV said:
DirecTV only created the DBS HD LiL market because it was the only useful thing their failed internet satellites could do. It's kind of silly that Dish is following so blindly when they could have used their bandwidth advantage to provide more national HD channels than anyone else.
More National HD channels =:) :) :)
More Local HD channels = :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dish Network could easily do HD national channels instead of putting up the next HD local market (or delaying it) and gain more subscribers that way.

They are concentrating more on getting HD locals launched than the SD locals aint they?

It all depends on where Dish ends up putting the LIL HD. E10 will end up adding 100 or so extra spot transponders if they end up turning off E8. If they leave E8 on they will have even more.

Assuming MPEG-4 4 channels per TP this is enough for 400 LIL HD channels, without cutting back on national services.

Now if they actually decide to use the spot capacity on R-1 they would gain another 100 spot TPs or so, and end up with another 400 LIL HD channels.

If they just use E10 and R-1 in spots for LIL HD they would end up with about 800 channels of capacity or enough for about 1/2 the stations.

Of course who really knows what Dish will decide to do...

IMHO, Dish Network or Directv shouldn't even bother with HD LIL.

For one, everyone complains when Dish or Directv gives them HD Lite, what do you think they will do with the local signal? I've compaired the PQ of Dish Network LIL (SD) and my OTA DTV stations, my picture quality is so, so, so much better, crisper, cleaner, etc. on my OTA stations. If Dish Network starts doing HD LIL, it will take away from new additional national HD feeds, etc... I'm sorry, I don't agree with Dish Network trying to get locals everywhere--let alone HD LIL, they should have stopped adding LIL stations about 1 1/2 years ago, and started working on their National channel lineup.

Second, especially in my area, I don't really like my LIL lineup, better than nothing, but I want to be able to get the same channels that local cable company gives with their service (I can't get em, I live to far out in the country--by like 1 mile) so I wouldn't like the HD LIL lineup either. I think Dish should work on getting more of the channels that I watch, instead of worring about HD LIL channels. Or, drop LIL all together! Of course, I feel that they should start adding more national HD feeds, but that I know is limited to how much is available.

Last edited:
Unfortuneately, not everyone can receive OTA broadcasts (me included) due to terrain or distance (I have both problems to contend with). If the HD ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, and UPN (I personally could care less for the last two, but others may want them) were allowed to broadcast from one city in each time zone to everyone in that time zone, then I would have no problem with that. But since there are rules in place that keep that from happening and keeps me from receiving said channels in HD, then I want the HD LiL.

I do agree its a waste of bandwidth to do this, especially when D* and E* could share the bandwidth (but this will probably never happen). I also agree that the local SD broadcasts from E* stink when compared to local OTA. Who knows what kind of tricks D* and E* will play with when broadcasting many HD LiL channels. But there are some of us that have no options available and think that ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB, and UPN are "national" channels that we are unable to get. BTW, my cable service (Alltel) has been unable to get their HD service running, I call once every two-three months to be told "next month we hope to offer HD to our customers."

Lay the blame on the government for the way it is currently setup.

I'm happy they are starting to add HD locals. My local FOX is not HD and there is no local NBC here. My FOX is an O & O channel so I should be able to get one of the other feeds right. Also since there is no local NBC I had my choice of getting it out of NY or Jax. When they launch HD will I be able to get NBC HD?

Minsk1 said:
Wow, I am 70 miles north of Chicago and get all major stations OTA HD (but CBS) with attic ChanellMaster 4228.:)

What's the point of people posting whether they can receive locals? Some can and some can't. That's the point. Today, 80% of households receive locals via cable or satellite and DISH is simply trying to meet the demand.

Talk all you want about HD national feeds, but that was decided years ago by SHVERA. Congress and the FCC have decalared that the regional monopolies control here, and DISH cannot override this. Charlie tried several years ago and failed. His only choice is to chew up a lot of bandwidth on LIL.

To those who can receive a superior picture OTA, we are all very happy for you, but the rest of the customer base is demanding some form of LIL solution.

Last edited:
I live about 35 miles south of chicago and were f**ked :) The sears tower blocks the handcock building. I can get anything from the sears tower fine.. but when it comes to cbs or anything from the hancok bld. were screwed.. because of the metal blockage of the once worlds tallest building :)

mike123abc said:
It all depends on where Dish ends up putting the LIL HD. E10 will end up adding 100 or so extra spot transponders if they end up turning off E8. If they leave E8 on they will have even more.
Assuming MPEG-4 4 channels per TP this is enough for 400 LIL HD channels, without cutting back on national services.
Now if they actually decide to use the spot capacity on R-1 they would gain another 100 spot TPs or so, and end up with another 400 LIL HD channels.
If they just use E10 and R-1 in spots for LIL HD they would end up with about 800 channels of capacity or enough for about 1/2 the stations.
Of course who really knows what Dish will decide to do...

Not exactly. Spot beam transponders aren't free, you have to give up the some conus transponders (i.e. cutting back on national services). Take a look at the spot beam map and see for yourself how many conus transponders will be lost when E10 lights up. http://ekb.dbstalk.com/297

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts