New Satellite Tax in Illinois?

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
Is there anyone in Illinois who has received their first bill for 2024? I just received an email for my January 6 to Feb 6 2024 bill and noticed that Dish has a new sales tax line item that was never on there before. (I pulled up my previous 4 bills just to make sure I wasn't crazy!) I am not aware of Illinois passing a new tax on satellite TV service. I did a Google search for new taxes in 2024, and I am not coming across anything that is a satellite tax. Curious if anyone has any idea on what new law was passed?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Is there anyone in Illinois who has received their first bill for 2024? I just received an email for my January 6 to Feb 6 2024 bill and noticed that Dish has a new sales tax line item that was never on there before. (I pulled up my previous 4 bills just to make sure I wasn't crazy!) I am not aware of Illinois passing a new tax on satellite TV service. I did a Google search for new taxes in 2024, and I am not coming across anything that is a satellite tax. Curious if anyone has any idea on what new law was passed?
I don't see it on my Illinois bill dated 01/06-2024 - 02/05/2024. The only extra I see is the FCC $0.11 surcharge. Maybe the county has something to do with it. I live in St Clair county about 15 miles east of St Louis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Simmons
I’ll bet it’s a local amusment tax. They have that in Illinois. Not every locality would have it.
Really? That is interesting. I wonder if that is the case. I am in DuPage county, about 30 miles west of Chicago - I will have to dig to see.

And yes, my line item is also "State/Local Tax (Sales)". It is such a small percentage of the bill though. Nowhere near the county + state sales tax, which is around 8% here in DuPage county.

1703508636781.png

Is this the only TV Tax the state has?

Here in Florida, it is about 11.5%, 7% to the state, 6.5% to the County.

Does not matter if it is Traditional or Streaming, over all video services.

Is this the only TV Tax the state has?

Here in Florida, it is about 11.5%, 7% to the state, 6.5% to the County.

Does not matter if it is Traditional or Streaming, over all video services.
As long as I can remember, Illinois has always taxed cable TV and U-Verse, but treated satellite differently because there were no poles, cables, or other utilities that the cities or state had to maintain. Chicago instituted a "Netflix tax" of 9% on streaming services in 2015, and other areas have done similar things.