New HD Pack Pricing Question

Dish usually let's anything charged seperatly as an a la carte item. Might be worth making the CSR's head esplode and make the call. My money's on them allowing it for a raised standalone fee of $9.99.. but that's conjecture.

mdonnelly said:
Well, that's a value judgement best left to the individual. I've gotten my money's worth from Discovery-HD, TNT-HD, and ESPN-HD each month for the last 16 months.

Same here. I'd probably pay $10 just to watch 1 NASCAR race in HD. :eek:

Nightryder

I believe that Dish will activate a personally purchased HD Receiver without the HD Pack. They however may not activate it if you lease without the HD Pack.

It would really be useful if Dish actually published and updated clear and consise details of their plans, what is and is not allowed for each leaving no subjective determination for that plan.

You gotta have the HD Pak Fisrt

Hey gang,

I've got an 811 that I bought when they first came out. It was an "exlcusive offer" for longtime customers. They sold me the receiver and told me there was no committment for the HD PAK. They then proceeded to charge me for the HD PAK. I called and complained, and the supervisor took it off. So, I do not currently have the HD PAK on my personally purchased receiver. I called a few minutes ago (Monday afternoon 5/2), and the CSR told me I had to have the HD PAK if I wanted the VOOM channels. But, she would offer me 6 months free on the HD PAK if I signed up.

I'm thinking about it.

TImR><>

mdonnelly said:
Well, that's a value judgement best left to the individual. I've gotten my money's worth from Discovery-HD, TNT-HD, and ESPN-HD each month for the last 16 months.
Oops. You are correct. I meant to say "for me". I'm sure I'm not the only one, though.

Since there is so much OTA HD in my area, I would have liked to be able to add only the $5 Voom Pack, when I signed up with SBC Dish after the Media Portal release.

Gary,
I agree with you about the $10 for the HD Pack. It was too much for me too.
Here is a good story to make you laugh (and I'm kicking myself)...

I got tired of not having a DVR downstairs where the 811 was, and I realized I was never watching all of those HD Pack stations (LOL...) so I called up and had them swap the 811 for a 508. I sent the 811 back last wednesday (4/26), and cancelled the HD Pack... Can you imagine how sick I was thursday when Scott starting making all of those veiled hints about V* moving over to E*..... I would have kept the 811 and paid the extra $5 if I had known E* was going to be doing this...

Anyway that's my story, and I'm sickened to it...

I just received buisness rules that state that New Customers under DHA cannot get Voom only.

So if you want Voom only, I expect you'll have to pay for the equipment and install..

Ouch. Well, I just cancelled Dish, and sold my 811. So, I'm a little disappointed myself. (My 721 is still on the block, btw.)

But, I am looking forward to trying out the Comcast dual tuner HD DVR until the SBC Media Portal is released. The local sports in HD will be kinda nice. Plus, they might be adding the Rainbow channels, as well.

I have a 6000U and HDPak with HBO-HD and CBS-HD because of HBO package and locals package. If I cancel the HDPak, will I lose HBO-HD? For me, $10 a month is too much for what I watch on those channels.

mnevar said:
I have a 6000U and HDPak with HBO-HD and CBS-HD because of HBO package and locals package. If I cancel the HDPak, will I lose HBO-HD? For me, $10 a month is too much for what I watch on those channels.

No. HBO-HD is part of your HBO package, subscription to the HD Pak is not required to receive it.

NightRyder

Look, we are paying $9.99 per month for minimum content while we beta tested the 811s and 921s. I am locked into a 2-year contract commitment, paying over $100.00 per month for the American Everything Package, HD Programming, (1) 811 and (2) 301’s.

Now they have added content, and they then ask us to pay premium dollars for additional unproven programming. Where are the STARS, Bravo, CINAMAX, Movie Channel content?

Where is the COMPELLING CONTENT that makes Echostar a worthy value?

Sitting here waiting until December, then I will have completed my 2-year obligation. Then, I am out of here!

How much is Echostar Management paying you people to say that paying ANOTHER $5.00 per month is a great deal? They way I see it; we made an investment into Echostar hoping to get better HD content someday.

Look, we are paying $9.99 per month for minimum content while we beta tested the 811s and 921s. I am locked into a 2-year contract commitment, paying over $100.00 per month for the American Everything Package, HD Programming, (1) 811 and (2) 301’s.

Now they have added content, and they then ask us to pay premium dollars for additional unproven programming. Where are the STARS, Bravo, CINAMAX, Movie Channel content?

Sitting here waiting until December, then I will have completed my 2-year obligation. Then, I am out of here!

YoMamasMan said:
How much is Echostar Management paying you people to say that paying ANOTHER $5.00 per month is a great deal? They way I see it; we made an investment into Echostar hoping to get better HD content someday.

No ones getting paid (at least not me) :) . As was stated earlier in this thread, "value" is an individual judgment, one persons treasure is another persons junk. I could care less about Stars, Cinemax or The Movie Channel HD being added, but I realize other people feel differently.

As long as the extra cost is optional I don't see any problem with the new channels. I personally don't have much interest in them, but other subscribers do, and feel they are worth the extra cost. If they don't have a problem with the $5 charge, why should I?

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
No. HBO-HD is part of your HBO package, subscription to the HD Pak is not required to receive it.

NightRyder

Incorrect, you need both HBO & the HDpack to receive HBO-HD. Cancel either and it is gone. Same with Showtime.

*EDIT* That is what I was told when I signed up for HBO & Showtime, however all my readings and findings both here and at Dish Network say as NightRyder did.

Not from anything I've ever seen or heard. :confused:

From Dish's site.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/hdtv/hdtv_prog/index.shtml

HBO HDTV
HBO, the leader in premium television programming, now brings you the future of television in HBO HDTV. It’s a future you’re going to want to experience! HBO HD included at no additional charge with subscription to the HBO movie package.

Peid: Just saw your edit. Looks like you were the victim of another mis-informed Dish CSR. :no

NightRyder

Can someone hook me up with a DishClub referral code?

Switch distance limitations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts