New HD Pack Pricing Question

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apparently, the new Voom channels add $5 to the HD Pack. (Pretty low bait and switch, as the priginal press release said "at no additional cost". But, that's spilled milk at this point.)

My question is whether the Voom HD Pack can be purchased separately. Or, is it only available as an add-on to the basic HD Pack?

(I wouldn't ask a CSR, as their head might explode.)

Does anybody think the HD Pack with the 21 Voom channels, when available, will jump to $20? (Is the Pope German?)

GaryPen said:
Apparently, the new Voom channels add $5 to the HD Pack. (Pretty low bait and switch, as the priginal press release said "at no additional cost". But, that's spilled milk at this point.)
Where?
Original Press Release

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.

The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Customers can sign a one-year agreement and receive six free months of HD programming with high-definition receivers in up to two rooms at no charge. For a limited time, those who sign up can also receive more than 180 standard definition channels for only $19.99 a month for the first three months, plus a free DVR upgrade, with next-day installation.

The only thing at no extra cost is the six months of HD pack (new subscriber offer) and the DVR upgrade (an SD one actually). I would have written the press release differently, but it didn't SAY that the Voom channels were at "no additional cost". Nor does it say the price of the existing HD pack is rising.

JL

justalurker said:
That may have been wishful thinking on my part, and the part of many who first read the initial press release and associated posts. I should have known better of a company that charges fees for downgrading service, paying over the phone, $250 to lease a receiver, and a zero-added-value so-called "VOD" fee.

justalurker said:
Nor does it say the price of the existing HD pack is rising.
Yet, it has, according to a number of forum members who added the Voom channels. From all reports, it's $15 for the HD Pack with the 10 Voom channels. I suppose it's possible that they are wrong, or I misunderstood. (Unlikely on both counts.)

Also, they do specifically state that they are ADDING the channels to the HD Pack. As such, no existing HD Pack sub should have to call and request these channels. They are supposed to be part of the HD Pack. Yet, it is apparently being sold as an adjunct to the HD Pack for an additional $5.

And, IF a price increase was to be a part of this addition, it should have been announced in advance. I believe 30 days is the usual period in these cases.

When VOOM was a DBS company they charged 49.99 for their 21 channels. The way I look at it $5.00 is a good price for 10 channels. (That I can now get on ALL TV's)

When it is all said and done I bet the HD pack will be $20-$25.00,do you think they will add the remaining 11 Voom channels for FREE !!!! and what about the HD movie channels { Starz,HBO,etc.} and the remaining sports HD {ESPN2,NFL-Network HD,etc.,etc}it will be an entire HD Package that you have to order to go along with the 60 120,180 channel packages that E* currently offers if you want any HD programming at all.But I hope that I`m wrong,an HD ala-carte would be great but don`t see that happening either.

Gary:

The existing HD pack is unchanged at $10/month.

The V* ("Voom Original Pack") channels can be ADDED to the HD Pack for an additional $5/month.

Clear now?

GaryPen said:
justalurker said:
Nor does it say the price of the existing HD pack is rising.
Yet, it has, according to a number of forum members who added the Voom channels. From all reports, it's $15 for the HD Pack with the 10 Voom channels. I suppose it's possible that they are wrong, or I misunderstood. (Unlikely on both counts.)
The price of the HD pack remains at $9.99 .
(The free for 6 months offer applies to new subscribers to the HD package.)
The price of the "Voom Originals" package has been set at $5.
Nobody with just the HD pack is being forced to pay more than $9.99 .

I hope that helps you understand.

JL

justalurker said:
The price of the HD pack remains at $9.99 .
(The free for 6 months offer applies to new subscribers to the HD package.)
The price of the "Voom Originals" package has been set at $5.
Nobody with just the HD pack is being forced to pay more than $9.99 .

I hope that helps you understand.

JL
I did understand. It's $15 for the HD Pack with the Voom add-on, as I wrote in my first post. It was you who didn't understand that they raised the price to compensate for the new channels. (Or, misunderstood my post to infer the HD Pack without Voom was rising.)

My actual question, as written in the first post, was whether the Voom channels could be purchased seperately from, or only available as an add-on to, the HD Pack. That is all.

Simon - Thanks for attempting to answer my actual question, as opposed to simply arguing for the sake of arguing. However, I do realize it's an add-on. (Again, as shown in my initial post.) I just want to know if the Voom channels can be purchased without the HD Pack.

Actually...

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills !"
What's wrong with u guys ?? It's quite simple:

1- To get the "Voom Original" pak, you are required to have a hi-definition receiver.
2- To lease or buy a hi-definition receiver; you are required to carry the Dish HD pak.
3- Therefore, when they say that you have to have the HD pak in order to subscribe to the Voom Original pak, that's a given ! By default, you'd need the HD rceiver to enjoy the Voom pak. And with E*, you have to have the HD pak to activate the receiver... it's a vicious cycle, but... you know.

So really, you don't have to pay the $14.99 ($9.99 + $5) if you just want the HD pak.

And when they said they've expnaded their HDTV slate; they are reffering to more than just the HD pak.
The HDTV slate also includes HBO, Showtime, CBS-HD, Dish Pay-per-view and everything that is broadcast in HD (e.g. the Superbowl, Conan O'brien...etc.)

As far as the VOD fee: that is the DVR fee. Every company has that fee, and E*'s is the lowest. Direct Tv's fee is a penny more at $4.99 !! and don't even ask about cable... I have a cox DVR which is $5 a month PLUS $9.69 a month leased receiver fee !!

uWILLknow said:

1- To get the "Voom Original" pak, you are required to have a hi-definition receiver.
2- To lease or buy a hi-definition receiver; you are required to carry the Dish HD pak.
3- Therefore, when they say that you have to have the HD pak in order to subscribe to the Voom Original pak, that's a given ! By default, you'd need the HD rceiver to enjoy the Voom pak. And with E*, you have to have the HD pak to activate the receiver... it's a vicious cycle, but... you know.

So really, you don't have to pay the $14.99 ($9.99 + $5) if you just want the HD pak.

And when they said they've expnaded their HDTV slate; they are reffering to more than just the HD pak.
The HDTV slate also includes HBO, Showtime, CBS-HD, Dish Pay-per-view and everything that is broadcast in HD (e.g. the Superbowl, Conan O'brien...etc.)

As far as the VOD fee: that is the DVR fee. Every company has that fee, and E*'s is the lowest. Direct Tv's fee is a penny more at $4.99 !! and don't even ask about cable... I have a cox DVR which is $5 a month PLUS $9.69 a month leased receiver fee !!
Your #2 is WRONG. If you buy your HD receiver at full price or ebay or used.
you don't have to sub to the HD package.

n0qcu said:
Your #2 is WRONG. If you buy your HD receiver at full price or ebay or used.
you don't have to sub to the HD package.
I beg to differ ! Unless they somehow do not recognize the purchased ebay receiver as an 811 (or any HD receiver), their system won't activate it. Not even a supervisor override will do it.

uWILLknow said:
I beg to differ ! Unless they somehow do not recognize the purchased ebay receiver as an 811 (or any HD receiver), their system won't activate it. Not even a supervisor override will do it.

Um if you never got it activated it sounds like one of two things might have happened with your purchased eBay receiver:

1) The receiver had a balance on it and needed to be paid in order for transfer, but the agent would have told you about that. Or at least I would have thought so.

2) The receiver came from a previous Digital Home Advantage/Digital Home Plan customer and was never returned. If that's the case Dish will not activate receivers that were leased out but never returned.

There is no requirement to have the HD Package if you purchase an 811 receiver. Some folks don't get much in terms of HD programming without it though while others get plenty via OTA.

I differ (but I never beg)

uWILLknow said:

I got my 811 on a lease deal for $25. I currently lease the 811 (a 301 and hte 811 replacing a 5000, so the $5 lease replaced the $5 extra receiver fee).

I DO NOT subscribe to the HD pack. (cut and paste from my bill below)

AMERICA'S TOP 120 WITH LOCALS 42.99
LEASED RECEIVER FEE 5.00

So, the question stands, can you get the Voom channels without subscribing to the HD pack?

No, you have to have the original HD Pack before you can get the Voom10. At least that is the story being told by all of the CSRs so far. I have not been able to find any documentation of these costs on their website yet. Has anyone else had any luck seeing the prices in writing anywere on the E* website?

uWILLknow said:

Since point #2 is completely incorrect, it renders #3 incorrect, as well.

I had an 811 without the HD Pack, as many subs do with their 811's, 6000's, and 921's.

You might wanna cut back on those crazy pills, pal. :rolleyes:

jbchesire - Thanks for actually understanding and answering the original question. It's too bad, because the $5 "Voom Pack" is kinda worth the money, whereas the $10 HD Pack is not.

Has anybody else tried to sub ONLY the Voom Pack?

GaryPen said:
... It's too bad, because the $5 "Voom Pack" is kinda worth the money, whereas the $10 HD Pack is not.
Well, that's a value judgement best left to the individual. I've gotten my money's worth from Discovery-HD, TNT-HD, and ESPN-HD each month for the last 16 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)