New HD subscriber

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
bhodge10-

Taking it down off of vivid may seem at first as though you're "softening" the picture, but if you follow the recommendations and make the setting changes what you'll eventually discover is that it's more realistic representation on screen. I can't even WATCH my Panny on vivid at night. IT LIGHTS UP MY FRONT YARD! heheheh.
And Jim5506 is correct. You are shortening the life of your screen by leaving it on "torch mode" (vivid). Manufacturers ship them that way because the screens "pop" when viewed in a showroom with lots of other screens. Your eye is naturally drawn to the ones that look brightest. But it's not how you want to keep it set up.

Also keep in mind that the settings you are seeing on a web site after an ICF calibration are only the ones you can access from user setup screens. A professional calibration goes deeper into places you can not access (and SHOULD NOT access unless you REALLY know what you're doing), but the settings you CAN access do a nice job.

Hi

The organization that sets the standard in video calibrations is "isf" - Imaging Science. I had a professional calibration done to my set 6 years ago and I was happy with the results. I just got a new Panasonic Plasma and I plan to do it again after the break in period. Yeah, it costs several hunded dollars - actually, I think I paid nearly $400 last time. But it sets everything up the same way the people who make movies and television shows have their monitors setup. So you know you are seeing the picture as the producers and director wated. Plus it will help keep your TV from prematurly dying. Although when your TV stops turning on like my last one, all bets are off :)

In the mean time, you should definitely get a set up disc like Avia or Video Essentials. You will get the primary user controls - contras, brightness, color, tint, and sharpness where they need to to be.

As far as HD quality over satellite, I'm a newbie too. Just got set up with the 622. I have never had OTA, so I can't comment on that. I just hope Dish gets the locals in Harrisburg in HD soon. That's the majority of programing I watch.

Stefan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts