New HDTV/Analog Channels on Dish only?

fineuh4u

Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Noobie here I did do a search as well :)

I just bought a Philips Full HDTV 1080p included ATSC, NTSC Tuners. Once connected the FTA shows great picture quality.

I have Dish Network and the standard receiever. (The DISH 322 receiver features two tuners for independent satellite TV viewing on two separate televisions)

I do not want HD service just yet but was wondering how come I can not pick up any digtal channels.... Only thing right now is DISH Channels are showing in Analog and the pictures are fuzzy and not really clear.

The Receiver is upstairs which works on Channel 3 and then using the UHF remote for the downstairs HDTV works on channel 73. What would I need to do to get the digtal channels working from Dish and not have to spend so much money fixing this. Again I do not want to get HD service just yet.would it have to be with the channel 73 issue?:up Thank you guys/gals!

you mean locals from dish that you get from the satellites in "digital"

do you subscribe to locals?

You are using the worst connection available on that receiver in terms of quality. All the dish channels are digital you are just sending them via an analog channel to your new tv. You need to run composite or svideo from the 322 to even have a decent picture on a hdtv from an sd receiver.

The 322 always outputs its picture in an analog state.

To get the best picture, you need to have the receiver in the same room as your nice fancy new TV, and hook up your 322 via S-video. (That's the highest quality output on that model of receiver.)

Here's a pic of the 322's back panel:
Tech Portal : 322 : Receiver Information : Receiver Images

If you can't have a receiver next to your new TV, then you'll be forced to leave it as-is (RF channel 73), which will add some noise throughout the image and possibly some "dot crawl" along the colored edges of things in the picture.

But at the end of the day, you aren't going to see what your new TV can do unless you get some HD source (such as a DISH HD receiver or free over-the-air ATSC HD via an antenna).

Hope that helps,
-Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts