New HDTV DVR press release

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Looks like Direct Tivo is playing the game.

They beat Dish with a press release today.

Dish should have there out with in days.

Competition will make the price lower for everyone.

This is good news for both systems customers.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=12_18_2003A

The DIRECTV HD DVR will incorporate a 250 GB hard disk drive, which allows customers to store up to 30 hours of DIRECTV high-definition programming, up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming or any combination of the two*.

How did they get 30 hours of HD programming with a 250GB hard disk and E* is only 20. Correct me if I am wrong?

Sean Mota said:
The DIRECTV HD DVR will incorporate a 250 GB hard disk drive, which allows customers to store up to 30 hours of DIRECTV high-definition programming, up to 200 hours of standard-definition programming or any combination of the two*.

How did they get 30 hours of HD programming with a 250GB hard disk and E* is only 20. Correct me if I am wrong?

Since it only directly records the data stream it must be because of the extra compression that D* uses on its HDTV channels! :(

What are you saying they beat them at?

Neither is available for purchase.

Dish had the accolades a long time ago.

Come back and give us an update in two weeks.

dlsnyder said:
Since it only directly records the data stream it must be because of the extra compression that D* uses on its HDTV channels! :(

If this is so, this is good enough reason not to buy it. Even if it offers all the features such as name base recording and two turners. I will not tolerate compression that diminishes the quality of the programming. Sorry but this is how it needs to be all we all go back to the SD compression issue.

Interesting point abou the HD hours as Tivo is know to also store other things on the hard drive such as more ADs on un wanted shows and data.

Then again on the AVS HDTV forum they keep talking about some kind of brand new compression hard ware that Direct TV just put in that will allow for a few more HD Channels at the same resolutions.

gpflepsen, they beat them at releasing the press release. Not a big deal, but at least D* waits until the product is ready to ship!

Neither is available for purchase? Tell that to Dish ONE YEAR AGO! Talk about jumping the gun..

Funny how people blast one company for issues and let other companies slide on the same (or worse) issue.

Sean Mota said:

Must be that extra compression for HD programs that degrades the PQ that many have complained about.

SlicerMDM said:
gpflepsen, they beat them at releasing the press release. Not a big deal, but at least D* waits until the product is ready to ship!

Neither is available for purchase? Tell that to Dish ONE YEAR AGO! Talk about jumping the gun..

Funny how people blast one company for issues and let other companies slide on the same (or worse) issue.

The same thing happens in politics. When your party does something bad, you shrug it off. When the other party does it, you want someone's head on a platter.

D* fans like D*, and E* fans like E*. Most trouble develops when one side tries to convert the other.....

Definition of a fanatic to me - YOU can't change the fanatic's closed mind, and HE won't change the subject.