New HDTV...not so hot picture!

I have two 622s, one on a 2 year old Samsung DLP, and one on a 40" 1080p Sony LCD. The Sony (right out of the box) does a much better job on SD than the Samsung. For example, Battlestar Galactica on SciFi is far more watchable on the Sony. As far as the native passthrough that kwindrem mentions above, my Scientific Atlanta from Time Warner could do it, and yes, it took a second or two longer to lock onto the format when i'd surf through the channels if it hit a different format on the next channel, but def worked - i LOVED it, and wish Dish would implement it.

It would not be a problem with your dish or switch. I have noticed that the Sony HDTV's have about the worst picture with a sd feed. Like Randall said before with digital tv, you either have it or you dont. Its not like using a set of rabbit ears. Your best bet is to upgrade to the 622 or add a 211 on to your acct and hook the 625 and 211 up to your tv.

I have a Vizio 42" LCD hooked up to my 721 through S-Video for one week before my 622 was installed and the SD looked like crap. I was constantly changing my display settings hoping it would improve the situation (it didn't). With the 622 there is now an improvement with SD via an HDMI connection. Therefore I believe there is a slight improvement with HDMI and SD.

Just my 2cents for comparison. I have two 622's. The one hooked to my 42" Toshiba Plasma looks great in SD and HD. However the one hooked to my 120" Projection screen looks terrible in SD but has great HD.. My theory is it's all in the TV.. Some TV's just handle SD better.

I have always used Sony and they do not have the worse SD picture!Most HDTV's do not look as good on SD channels. Some SD Channels look better on HDTV's than other's. But again your watching SD on a HDTV its not a SD TV so picture not going to look the same. As far as format goes you need to set a Format on your Sony set that way it will stay on that format. Then on the Dish side of things I would set it to HD Normal but either way you should not have any format issue's as long as things are set right. :)

new hdtv poor pix

Hi guys...I just got a Sony Wega 42" LCD rear projection HDTV and hooked it up to my Dish DVR625. The results are less than perfect...lots of compression issues and image shadows. Is this typical or is there someway I can get the best picture possible until I can upgrade to Dish HDTV? I am even using video-S connection from the 625 to the TV. I checked my dish signal and it is pulling 88-90...cold that be a problem? Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

I install for local retailer, and have encountered same problem . few times w/ sony, few times w/ samsung. more so with lcd than dlp or rear proj. I tried coax, composite, s-video to no avail'
I spend much time trying adjusting tv to make pix better and am not satisfied with final result.
I expect that if you go with hd (622 ) your pix will be awsome with the sony. I don't think there is anything wrong with your signal strength or your satellite rx
if you find an answer let me know

rick

The real question is, why the hell would you be using a 625 with an HD TV that is not going to give you good results and is a huge waste of money.

Hi guys...I just got a Sony Wega 42" LCD rear projection HDTV and hooked it up to my Dish DVR625. The results are less than perfect...lots of compression issues and image shadows. Is this typical or is there someway I can get the best picture possible until I can upgrade to Dish HDTV? I am even using video-S connection from the 625 to the TV. I checked my dish signal and it is pulling 88-90...cold that be a problem? Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

I beleive that your HD TV will not recognise video coming from an S-Video as High Def.

You must use either HDMI or the RGB inputs otherwise no Hi Def for you

I've done a side-by-side comparison of Dish vs Cox with the same SD channel on my Sony 65" RP, using component for Dish, and RF for Cox, and PIP to see them both on the screen. The Cox picture is much sharper than the Dish picture. It's not the TV that's the problem, it's the compression from Dish.

So, the only solution is to go to an HD receiver, and never watch SD, cuz you'll be disappointed in the PQ from Dish. Meantime, scan for local digital channels with an OTA antenna, and enjoy real HD.

Rgb?

I beleive that your HD TV will not recognise video coming from an S-Video as High Def.

You must use either HDMI or the RGB inputs otherwise no Hi Def for you

Are you calling the component inputs RGB? I know that the colors on it are Red, Green & Blue but they are not RGB. They are Y, Pr, Pb. These are luminance, and to components of chroma.

All American Direct Channels

A&E HD Widescreen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)