Status
Please reply by conversation.

rhedayi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
rancho cucamonga
Hello FTAers
Been around FTA for years, started with large oval dishes for getting turkish channels on T5 (now g19), 3 years ago, converted a DTV slimline for galaxy19 as I wanted a more low profile, and sturdier dish. Here is my question. In southern california, should I be able to simply reaim my slimline and be able to pick up SES3, particularly NBC feeds. Reason I ask is I recently cut the charter cable and live in north end rancho cucamonga where I have no HDTV signal at all for any major LA stations. Weird enough I caught one san diego NBC station using a 45 mile UHF antenna (100+ miles away)

Next question, what exactly are on those feeds, I mean there are many local NBCs, san diego, san francisco, LA, when you tune in NBC west, what is on there ?

Last question, I want to be able to watch any one of the major networks, basically for live news etc, is there any other means I have not considered besides OTA HD (no signal) , Roku (no live major networks from what I discovered) or NBC feeds on SES3, Thanks for helping out

:welcome to the forum rhedayi The NBC feeds you are referring to have a unique audio setup. Any programming with surround sound is not processed correctly by an FTA receiver. there are a couple NBC feeds from other cities on satellite. Look at these listings http://ftalistings.com/

Welcome to SatelliteGuys rhedayi !!
Those NBC feeds are also mainly for main programming, ie. TV shows on NBC.
You will not get any live news, from them. NBC West is just 3 hours behind East but same TV shows.
Some of the local channels have live web feeds you can tune to if there is no other option and you must have live.
You may need to experiment with a larger antenna for OTA and getting it higher up. That is what I had to do here to get the big 4.

Think the slimline may be too small for those network feeds* anyway. I am using a 1.2 meter dish for that satellite. IIRR most here use at least a 90 cm dish @ 103W. *Think you may get the beach (now a taped loop) feed.

You can also get input on your OTA situation here:
Digital Over the Air Television Talk By RabbitEars
Post a link or attach your TVFool Report (use your exact address as the report from a block away could be totally different)
A look at the zip code only report shows plenty of stations in LOS.

Hey fellas, thank you for all the responses. I will leave the slimline on g19 for now.
I noticed livestream (android app) can stream KTTV ch 11. Also I ordered an android tv box which can emulate a phone / pC etc and can watch some TV broadcasts such as cbs2 news and kcal9 news in the evening so that is an option

Here is the analysis link from TVFool - see if this helps and if it is doable. I am willing to buy an antenna and attach it if it will get the job done for OTA HD channels even a few of the major networks

tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5134ced7165dac

Think the slimline may be too small for those network feeds* anyway. I am using a 1.2 meter dish for that satellite. IIRR most here use at least a 90 cm dish @ 103W. *Think you may get the beach (now a taped loop) feed.

I'd say 90cm minimum for 103W. It came in fine when my 90cm was aimed right at it. Now that I have it aimed at 97w with a second lnb for 103w, I'm missing a couple of NBC's (though the beach cams, newer international channels, and NBC mountain/west come in fine).

I like the weird NBC audio when watching sports. I'll leave it on the stadium sounds so I don't have to hear the announcers.

Reactions: fred555
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts