New Home - Wiring Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sullivbt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Getting ready to move into a new home that has been "pre-wired" - by which I mean 4 rooms of the house have just a single run of RG-6 to a wall plate :-(. These four runs of cable have then just been dropped unterminated into the crawl space, with no distro box or panel :-((.

Here's my question: how can I pass the signals from three birds (110, 119 and 61.5) to two different rooms using just one run of RG6 to each room (one room would have a 622 and the other a 510)? Can I put some kind of splitter in the crawl space that would send the diplexed output of a DP34 to two different locations? What about OTA?

Getting ready to move into a new home that has been "pre-wired" - by which I mean 4 rooms of the house have just a single run of RG-6 to a wall plate :-(. These four runs of cable have then just been dropped unterminated into the crawl space, with no distro box or panel :-((.

Here's my question: how can I pass the signals from three birds (110, 119 and 61.5) to two different rooms using just one run of RG6 to each room (one room would have a 622 and the other a 510)? Can I put some kind of splitter in the crawl space that would send the diplexed output of a DP34 to two different locations? What about OTA?

Why can't you get 2 lines to that crawlspace?

Here's the setup to use:

Dish 500 with a Dish Pro Plus(DPP)
The 61.5 wing dish has a wire going to the input of the DPP lnb.
Then each line coming out of the DPP is capable of running a dual tuner(like your 622)

If you get 2 sat lines to your crawl space, you can also diplex a 3rd room with the TV 2 output from the 622.

Or......why not just remove the 510, and have that room be the TV2 from the 622 and save the extra $$ by not paying the dvr fee on the 510??;) Then you would get by with only 1 cable to the crawlspace to feed the 622.

You would only want to diplex in an OTA if you don't use the TV2 backfeed from the 622(the frequencies are similar and it causes problems with them going through the same cable

OK, I see where you're going. So it would be better to get a second 622 and feed a second room from each 622? (I assume by "backfeed" you mean using the TV2 output from the 622) I thought doing that would require me to run another strand of RG6 from the TV2 output of the 622 to the other room? (I'm really trying to avoid doing any wall fishes if at all possible).

Here is a diagram of the set-up I think that you are talking about. I don't know what piece will "split" the backfeed from the 622 to another TV - does this diagram look workable?

First, if you're using a DP34, you MUST run two feeds to your 622. You can use just one cable if you have a DPP44 switch, but you CANNOT separate a single DP34 line and expect it to work.

What would I do? Lose the DP34 switch. Obtain a DPP Twin for your 110/119, use a DP dual for your 61.5 wing dish and plug it into the DPP Twin, and run two lines to your crawlspace. One of the lines goes to your 510, the other goes to your 622. The 622 feed CAN be Separated with a DPP Separator if you use a DPP Twin. Put diplexers on the line between your 622 and crawlspace; you can feed the TV2 signal to your third room this way.

OK, so use the DPP to combine the 61.5 and 110/119 dishes, and then use the diplexors in the crawlspace to do the backfeeds from the 622. Jsut to make sure that I understand this correctly, the 622 can send OUT signals on the same RG-6 cable that it RECEIVES signals?

Also, do I have to order special diplexors from DISH or can I use any old Radio Shack diplexor?

Yes it would.

Note that the "DPP" isn't an external device...the DPP twin is the LNB for 110/119 and you feed 61.5 into its input port.

You would only want to diplex in an OTA if you don't use the TV2 backfeed from the 622(the frequencies are similar and it causes problems with them going through the same cable
Poppycock!

Adding TV2 to cable is a problem, but not with OTA (unless you're in a market with more than 25 local stations).

OK - how does this diagram look. Does this set-up appear as if it would work?
No!

You need to put a diplexer in at the ViP622 to send the distribution signal out. Diplexers are not to be confused with splitters. The goal of the diplexer is to put an OTA frequency cable on the cable along with a higher frequency satellite signal (not satellite frequency though).

The "combined" side of each diplexer needs to be connected to the other diplexer. If it helps. think of the diplexer as a way of taping two cables together. The Sat port on one end comes out at the Sat port on the other end and similarly with the lower distribution frequencies.

You might find some diagrams here if you search for "backfeeding" or similar.

Diagrammatically, you need to turn the existing diplexers around the other way.

This is what you want to do. Note that the dish will be a D500 with a DPP twin and a DP dual pointed at 61.5 running into it.

I sketched this diagram up for only 1 receiver, but just run the second receiver in the same fashion as the first with the second output of the DPP twin.
dishdiagrambz5.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)